Deteating ourselves --

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Epiceneguy
Distinguished Member

Re: Deteating ourselves --

Post by Epiceneguy »

You're absolutely correct clothes shouldn't have a gender, the more we get that message across the more normal it will become.
When life gives you lemons, slice them and put them into your G&T!
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

The other day I was shopping and looked for potato flour and when I couldn't see it I thought it must be as popular as toilet paper or perhaps a substitute. I asked an employee and was directed away from the baking supplies to the gluten-free area. I am not a sufferer of celiac disease but selected a product from there.
Same goes for skirts; I select the product from the women's area, where they are displayed, although I am not a woman.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Good point, Anthony, I don't consider the women's section out of bounds when looking for clothes. In fact I don't look in the men's section any more. Drabness depresses me. I have to laugh sometimes when we are shopping in ASDA or Tesco or some such that she'll suggest looking in the men's section for clothes and looks a bit cross when I dismiss the idea with a wave of the hand.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
partlyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by partlyscot »

I think I understand your point, but the fact of the matter is they were marketed to women. That shouldn't matter. I had a rare occasion last week where a customer seemed upset, not so much about the skirt, but about the "women's tights" (opaque pantyhose to some)

I said yes, they're women's tights, but have you tried buying men's tights? They're rare as hens teeth and much more expensive. She seemed unconvinced. People call my skirts kilts, far more often than "skirt" which is perhaps understandable, but when I correct them, more often than not, they seem to resist the idea that a man can, or should, wear clothing aimed at women.
Faldaguy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Faldaguy »

People call my skirts kilts, far more often than "skirt" which is perhaps understandable, but when correct them, more often than not, they seem to resist the idea that a man can, or should, wear clothing aimed at women.

Just last week a nurse asked me if what I was wearing was a type of kilt. When I told her it was 'just a skirt' she related that she had to ask because when when she had commented to men about their skirts, they got upset. I was surprised she did not follow up with any more comments after having opened the door -- but apparently my response of "just a skirt" left her nothing to say. I was also surprised in that her comment implied too many men are apparently 'defensive' about what they are wearing -- it can't be a 'skirt' it has to be a kilt (masculine connotation) or something that does not have a 'female' label, literally or figuratively. Maybe we are our own worst enemies?
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

partlyscot wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 7:57 pm People call my skirts kilts, far more often than "skirt" which is perhaps understandable, but when I correct them, more often than not, they seem to resist the idea that a man can, or should, wear clothing aimed at women.
The same has hapened to me. I think men say it to make themselves more comfortable with the concept.
I was wearing a denim mini skirt: "Ahh, a kilt"
"No, it is just a mini skirt"
It seemed to cause awkwardness for him after I said that, made me think I should have just nodded or let it go.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
partlyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by partlyscot »

denimini wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 5:08 am
partlyscot wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 7:57 pm People call my skirts kilts, far more often than "skirt" which is perhaps understandable, but when I correct them, more often than not, they seem to resist the idea that a man can, or should, wear clothing aimed at women.
The same has hapened to me. I think men say it to make themselves more comfortable with the concept.
I was wearing a denim mini skirt: "Ahh, a kilt"
"No, it is just a mini skirt"
It seemed to cause awkwardness for him after I said that, made me think I should have just nodded or let it go.
I never know quite how I should respond. In some ways I too, just want to let it go. If I correct them, it sometimes seem they think I should be addressed by feminine pronouns. Partly, I get annoyed at the ignorance. When did a kilt look like this?
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

If queried, I'll say something to the effect of, "It's just a skirt." and then follow it up with a bit of a "catch" to keep the conversation going, perhaps, "They're much more comfortable than trousers!" with a grin.

I've never had a problem with that tactic.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jim »

Let's just accept "kilt" is a word with many definitions, like so many words.
Kilt Definitions:
1) A wrap-around skirt in the Scottish tradition, usually in a tartan material, that's about knee length.
2) Any wrap skirt designed for men.
3) Any skirt designed for men.
4) Any skirt worn by a man that is not designed to look feminine.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

I believe this skirt= kilt thing has come up before.

I think the use of the word "Kilt" is a way for people to deal with cognitive dissonance.

I wouldn't worry about it, not bother correcting them, just so long as they have a positive attitude. Or, at least, a tolerant attitude.