Clothing envy - does it dissipate?

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
JeffB1959
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Clothing envy - does it dissipate?

Post by JeffB1959 »

Uncle Al wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 11:49 am JeffB1959 :arrow: There are many one-piece bathing suits on the market, that hearken
back to the late '50s-'60s. I have one(yet to use it) and tried it on. Fits like a glove :D

Just my $0.02 worth ;)

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen
Well, I'm not much for swimming as the only uses I have for water are bathing, drinking, washing clothes and cooking. Despite that, maybe I might consider such a garment for lounging around the pool. Heh! :lol:
I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman.
nzfreestyler
Member Extraordinaire

Post by nzfreestyler »

I do have a womens Roxy springsuit (wetsuit), not quite a one-piece but it does have a thong bottom even though it has short sleeves! Go figure!.
I don't have a swimsuit per-se - Its a bit too much out there to wear a one-piece or a bikini!

cheers
NZF
geron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by geron »

Unless you're looking for a fashion show, swimming is frankly pleasanter where you don't have to wear anything. And it avoids the discomfort of dripping fabric amidships when you get out of the water.
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jim »

geron wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 6:53 pm Unless you're looking for a fashion show, swimming is frankly pleasanter where you don't have to wear anything. And it avoids the discomfort of dripping fabric amidships when you get out of the water.
Exactly!
But there are various archaic laws one has to observe some places. So I'm for just wearing as little as is legal.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

I generally wear bikini bottoms. They are so awesome, they fit as well as speedos and come in a bigger range of colours and patterns. I wear them with MOH's approval and to the swimming pool at the gym we go to. None of the other women in her aquafit class know what they are or frankly care. I cause some consternation with the women as I have some pairs that are flesh coloured and it looks as if I'm not wearing anything! I love to screw with people's perceptions! Unfortunately I only wear the bb's alternate months as MOH also likes to see me in conventional swim shorts so I wear them in the other alternate month. I make concessions to keep her sweet.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
JeffB1959
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JeffB1959 »

Addendum: To be honest, I have more in the way of footwear envy instead of clothing envy. Regarding the latter, there's practically nothing I can't wear from the women's side of the aisle, but shoes? That's a different story. Since I wear a size 13, my footwear choices are severely limited, even though Louboutins (for example) are crazy expensive, I'd love to own just one pair, but they don't go up to my size. Oh, well, them's the breaks.
I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Clothing envy - does it dissipate?

Yes. For me anyway.

If I want to wear something... I wear it.

You'll build confidence in time... hang in there grasshopper!
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Well, sometimes I'm not sure if it's the clothing that I'm appreciating or the figure within the clothing. Maybe a bit of both. :)
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Shilo
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Shilo »

Sinned wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 11:02 am I generally wear bikini bottoms. They are so awesome, they fit as well as speedos and come in a bigger range of colours and patterns. I wear them with MOH's approval and to the swimming pool at the gym we go to. None of the other women in her aquafit class know what they are or frankly care. I cause some consternation with the women as I have some pairs that are flesh coloured and it looks as if I'm not wearing anything! I love to screw with people's perceptions! Unfortunately I only wear the bb's alternate months as MOH also likes to see me in conventional swim shorts so I wear them in the other alternate month. I make concessions to keep her sweet.
MOH these days insists I wear shorts when swimming although in the past I wore speedo style costumes. For years I owned a pair of bikini bottoms without knowing as I saw them on sale in the wrong aisle. I just bought them because they fitted well and were comfortable without looking at the label.
:roll:
Pdxfashionpioneer
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Pdxfashionpioneer »

Coder wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 1:03 am I guess a simple way for me to state it:

Sometimes I see a style that I like and am jealous of the ability for that person to be able to wear it. Sometimes I’ll feel this way if I see a hat on a man or woman, or maybe a blazer (even though I feel ridiculous in them) that has a cool texture, shape, or style - but a bit out there for me. I’ve been pushing boundaries with wristwatches, so I know I can build up confidence... I’m not asking about confidence.

I don’t feel that way about stuff I wear daily. I mean, I may see a cool pair of jeans, but that’s pretty rare.

And again - choice of words - jealously - might be too strong.
As you get yourself out there and develop your own style, that feeling will definitely dissipate.

But once you do get out there, etc., you can ask the women in your life if they occasionally feel that way and I expect if they're at all style-conscious, they'll say "Of course!" There will always be someone who's body type, size, shape, personality will allow them to look stunning in something you couldn't possibly squeeze into, even if they made it in your size, let alone look good in. That's part of the allure of womenswear, there's something for everyone.

And the other side of that coin is that if you've developed a style of your own, that feeling of envy/jealousy/whatever will be mild and short-lived because you'll know that you can look nearly as smashing in something of your own!

But you'll never get there if you insist on wearing you're dam#$d T-shirts and sneakers with your skirts!
David, the PDX Fashion Pioneer

Social norms aren't changed by Congress or Parliament; they're changed by a sufficient number of people ignoring the existing ones and publicly practicing new ones.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

The sun was out, the sky was blue .... A young lady came to my counter a couple of days ago. She was wearing a beautiful, white, foowery sun dress, lightweight material. I said to her that I envied women and their wear. You get to wear such cool dreasses in hot weather, what do we men get - T-shorts and jean?. No comparison. She smiled. So does clothing envy dissipate- no.
mishawakaskirt
Member Extraordinaire

Post by mishawakaskirt »

Envy? No, I think a vast majority of womenswear is ridiculous. NOW with skirts that is a different story, yes I am discontented, miffed, perturbed, that men are not supposed to wear skirts.

Most of womenswear I think is really folly. What's good about wearing something that is physically uncomfortable? So delicate you might rip or stain it. Or something you have to worry about snagging. The most insulting thing is the fake or nearly useless pockets. The manufacturer took the time to make the outer part of the pocket. So put in the rest of the pocket, make it usable.
Oh and the inflated prices, a 5 dollar clothing item at a resale shop cover all the necessary parts that A 75- to 300 dollar item will, why the inflated prices?

I hate washing my wife's clothes. I hate having to sort out and worry about the wand wash only, cold water only, don't dry in the dryer. I have wrecked Several of my wife's clothes over the years due to drying some thing that should be hung dried.

I'm no fashionista
Or fashion pioneer.
I try to dress decently. But I don't dress to impress or stand out. I dress for me and my comfort. It just happens to involve a small swath of womenswear that I find comfortable and very practical (primarily skirts)

SO I am right where I want to be. I insist on wearing my dam#$d T-shirts and sneakers with my skirts.
Mishawakaskirt @2wayskirt on Twitter

Avoid the middle man, wear a kilt or skirt.
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jim »

mishawakaskirt wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 2:44 am But I don't dress to impress or stand out. I dress for me and my comfort. It just happens to involve a small swath of womenswear that I find comfortable and very practical (primarily skirts)

SO I am right where I want to be. I insist on wearing my dam#$d T-shirts and sneakers with my skirts.
I'm in agreement on the principle. Most of my life I've been barefooted and bare-chested in hot weather except for formal situations and that continues now I've learned skirts are more comfortable than short shorts (what used to be normal length shorts). Personally, I like button shirts (because they can be unbuttoned). But I find more light-weight button shirts with genuine short sleeves, not half-sleeves, that were marketed toward women. I don't think many pay attention to what side the buttons are on.