Skirt Do's & Don'ts

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Skirt Do's & Don'ts

Post by denimini »

crfriend wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 10:43 pm My general tactic is to open the door, use it as a baffle, get both legs close to the car, put one in, try to get reasonably straight, then pull the other leg in making sure my skirt is all the way in as well.
I do the same because the door is a good screen. I have no trouble with having the skirt all the way in :)
Last edited by denimini on Sun Dec 08, 2019 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
JeffB1959
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JeffB1959 »

1- If wearing a skirt with a walking vent, make sure it's centered and not shifted to the left or right

2- If wearing a belt with a skirt, opt for a thin style that doesn't overwhelm the lines of the skirt

3- Know your size. Never wear a skirt too small for your physique as that risks the dreaded "muffin top"

4- On the other end of the spectrum, avoid a skirt too large for you, that can be just as awkward
I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman.
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jim »

nzfreestyler wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 3:47 am My ten cents for what its worth
What amazes me is so many rules from a "freestyler"!
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire
Location: 65 year The Hague, The Netherlands, then Allentown, PA, USA

Post by beachlion »

If I had to follow all these rules, I'm not sure if I ever got to wearing skirts. I'm used to follow my own compass.
All progress takes place outside the comfort zone - M J Bobak
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

beachlion wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 3:44 pmI'm used to follow my own compass.
This is actually the most important thing. However, it can't really hurt to know of others' experiences.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

First rule of skirt wearing!!
Get up in the morning and put on your skirt!
Second rule of skirt wearing. See First rule!!

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pelmut »

SkirtsDad wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 4:23 am My contribution is this: check the weather before you go out in a short flimsy skirt. I have been caught out by blustery weather and had to walk along the street with my hands firmly holding my skirt in place. Not the most comfortable or fashionable way to walk.
Avoid walking close to the downwind side of a van or other large vehicle.  The air current underneath the vehicle rises as it leaves the constrained space and becomes an updraught which can lift even a quite substantial skirt.
There is no such thing as a normal person, only someone you don't know very well yet.
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

Jim wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 1:03 pm
nzfreestyler wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 3:47 am My ten cents for what its worth
What amazes me is so many rules from a "freestyler"!
beachlion wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 3:44 pm If I had to follow all these rules, I'm not sure if I ever got to wearing skirts. I'm used to follow my own compass.
These aren't rules ....... just friendly suggestions. Some could save a lot of embarassment :)
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
SkirtsDad
Member Extraordinaire

Post by SkirtsDad »

denimini wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 6:06 am These aren't rules ....... just friendly suggestions. Some could save a lot of embarassment :)
Without wishing to labour a point that I made earlier, on this occasion I feel I have to respectfully disagree. Firstly, whilst some could be read as suggestions, there were many subjective arbitrary rules like:

"6. Don't wear hosiery that is a richer/deeper tone than your skirt/dress and shoes.

Hosiery should be a lighter colour than your skirt or dress and shoes. eg. neutral hosiery is better than black with denim skirt. Sheer black hosiery is ok with a black skirt and black shoes. Sheer black hosiery with white shoes is not good"

and secondly the thread was about "things you should or shouldn't do when wearing a skirt (that wouldn't apply when wearing trousers)." so I can hardly see how dubious fashion advice comes into it.

Do watch out for short skirts that ride up, particularly those heavily elasticated. Therefore, my tip today, should you have a bodycon skirt that rides up too much, is: thread an extra piece of elastic in the hem - you can usually unpick a couple of stitches where the vertical seam folds over to gain access
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Just one question, who sets the rules?
I guess it must be a sub division of the Kilt Police or is it Women?
Steve.
new2skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by new2skirts »

STEVIE wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 6:32 am Just one question, who sets the rules?
I guess it must be a sub division of the Kilt Police or is it Women?
Steve.
It does seem like a division of the Kilt Police, the Skirt Interceptors :roll:

Some rules like sitting properly, getting out of vehicles / low seats with dignity so as to not flash knickers etc are understandable, some might be practical advice such as making sure the vent at the back / front of your skirt is to the centre so it doesn't look sloppy, but I've worn grey tights with a grey skirt and not had an issue before. Some of them look like they've been taken straight out of a women's magazine, but I guess generally most guys, or guys new to wearing skirts wouldn't ever know :wink:
Formerly Kilty / Joe Public etc...
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

SD, I have to disagree with your rule about hosiery always being lighter in colour than the skirt. Black hosiery is a staple for me and would be worn with a lighter colour skirt such as tan, white or yellow. As long as the colours of hosiery and skirt compliment each other then it should be fine. Nothing garish.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
lazerr
Member Extraordinaire

Post by lazerr »

I usually wear the skirt backwards so I have easy access to the zipper (just kidding) :lol:
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

denimini wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 7:00 am
crfriend wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 10:43 pm My general tactic is to open the door, use it as a baffle, get both legs close to the car, put one in, try to get reasonably straight, then pull the other leg in making sure my skirt is all the way in as well.
I do the same because the door is a good screen. I have no trouble with having the skirt all the way in :)
A cute video from a few years ago:

Watch for the cute WINK of the eye at the end !

LINK:

https://video.search.yahoo.com/yhs/sear ... ction=view
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
Dust
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Dust »

To all of you making noise about rules, I say this:

Know the "rules" so you can break them mindfully.

What I mean, is that if you know what the rules are, you can break them in a way that looks good. Get most things "right" and the couple of things you did "wrong" will look purposeful and well thought out.

This is good fashion advice generally, but it's especially important when one of the things you are doing "wrong" is something as substantial as wearing a skirt as a guy. Try to look good doing it, and people will be more accepting.