Fashion

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Knickson

Fashion

Post by Knickson »

1565201658793.jpg
1565201658478.jpg
1960`s England ,pity it did not catch on .
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Freedomforall
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Fashion

Post by Freedomforall »

It will!
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

Thanks for the photos .Look at the young men wearing a collar and tie with their skirts.....If I remember correctly , the female in tights started in 1967
with Mary Quant ....... I like the new style of the male wearing what looked like boxer boots with his skirt .

I did not see a man in a skirt until 1971 . That was at a Nurses Ball at a medical school in London .....I feel happier in my longer skirts .
I did not actually realise that the man in a skirt had actually got out onto the street at that time ....I must have been 25 years old at the time .

I am still alone ,out on the street in my white ankle socks , Summer skirt , sports jacket , ladies scarf and drovers sporran .
A lady in a straight skirt and bright red tights smiled at me today and said ...." You look nice ".....

I was off to the bank as I had found a message from a scammer on my answerphone . .....How times have changed....
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

I was out in the same shopping street a couple of months ago and saw a middle aged lassie wearing the following outfit....

Black calf length pleated skirt , Black Doc Martins to meet the hem of her skirt , Black jacket and hat , with soot black hair .
" You look very smart , I like your outfit " I said ...The lassie smiled and replied ..." Bless you. I am a widow and a White Witch . "

An interesting thought with the coming of Halloween.....or All Souls Day ....when we light a candle and say a prayer to remember
..... " the souls of the faithful departed "......
Last edited by weeladdie18 on Thu Oct 17, 2019 1:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

We never had this trick or treat begging on the door step when I was a Kid ....This is one of our imported customs ...
Penny for the displayed Guy paid for the sparklers and fireworks on Guy Falkes night on November the 5 .

" Remember , remember the fifth of November , Gun powder ,Treason and Plot " .....Burn the effigy of Guy Falkes on the bonfire .

Often the time of the First Frost of Winter .
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

To get back on the thread . The female mini skirt was replaced by the maxi skirt in the early seventies . ......The Mini returned possibly a decade later.
Can anyone remember when It returned ?

In the late Autumn of last year the Mini came out as a very short tight skirt .
The hem of the traditional pleated school skirt used to be not more than 4 inches above the knee . Either I am getting old or the school skirt hem is rising .

Today I saw a couple of local school students in St Trinians Style black over the knee socks and plenty of bare leg below the hem of their skirts.

Plenty of 80 Dernier black leggings have turned up in the local charity shops ...I presume they are heavy tights without feet.
partlyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by partlyscot »

weeladdie18 wrote:To get back on the thread . The female mini skirt was replaced by the maxi skirt in the early seventies . ......The Mini returned possibly a decade later.
Can anyone remember when It returned ?

In the late Autumn of last year the Mini came out as a very short tight skirt .
The hem of the traditional pleated school skirt used to be not more than 4 inches above the knee . Either I am getting old or the school skirt hem is rising .

Today I saw a couple of local school students in St Trinians Style black over the knee socks and plenty of bare leg below the hem of their skirts.

Plenty of 80 Dernier black leggings have turned up in the local charity shops ...I presume they are heavy tights without feet.
Huh, if you remember St Trinians, you are old! (I remember it too!)
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

When I left school the young ladies were still wearing stockings with their full circle skirts when they jived to the Rock and Roll bands.
This style of music was still a cult in the 70 ' s in the Ballrooms .... Do you remember Shaking Steven and the Sunsets ?

I attended Lonnie Donegan's last performance in Weymouth Pavillion.
This was before he unfortunately died prior to his next gig in Peterborough ....
He performed the Battle of New Orleans with one of his band marching round the stage with a snare drum .

" We fired our guns and the British kept a coming .
We fired once more and they began a running.
Down the Missisippi to the Gulf of Mexico "
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

weeladdie18 wrote:When I left school the young ladies were still wearing stockings with their full circle skirts when they jived to the Rock and Roll bands.
This style of music was still a cult in the 70 ' s in the Ballrooms .... Do you remember Shaking Steven and the Sunsets ?

I attended Lonnie Donegan's last performance in Weymouth Pavillion.
This was before he unfortunately died prior to his next gig in Peterborough ....
He performed the Battle of New Orleans with one of his band marching round the stage with a snare drum .

" We fired our guns and the British kept a coming .
We fired once more and they began a running.
Down the Missisippi to the Gulf of Mexico "
I remember the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band version. But Andrew Jackson has fallen into disfavor among the American educated, since he was a genocidal monster and a corrupt, incompetent president who produced America’s first major economic depression. And, sadly, hailing from the proximity of my farm. But of the two presidents produced in that proximity, at least Polk has a few redeeming qualities. Jackson has none. It is therefore understandable that our current incompetent president declared Jackson to be his hero, as a president.
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
Knickson

Post by Knickson »

News programs in England featured men in Skirts at the time (and a few times since ) always show men getting on crowded trains ect , I suppose the Mens skirts were Mini in the 60`s because of the fashion for short female skirts , in the 90`s Johnathon Ross was shown in the news because he went out in his skirt and got drunk , he fell over and showed that he had tights on (his wife advised tights because his legs needed shaving or waxing ect and he did not have time ).
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

It is worth noting here what I would call ... " a regional fashion " .....
Like many of the folks in my region , I spend much of my time out of doors in shorts ..... so I wear male shoes and ankle socks .
Our bare legs become tanned and weather beaten .
It is quite easy for either the male or female to take off their shorts and replace this garment with a suitable skirt .

If one was of a working age and worked indoors , his or her legs might not be weather beaten and tanned when they went out of doors in a skirt.
This person may then choose a different style of legwear when wearing a suitable skirt out of doors.

This presents a style of skirting which is ...." Horses for courses . " .......It does look to me as if the 1960' s man in a skirt had bare unshaven legs .
When I do wear stockings , I can wear a 15 dernier with unshaven legs......simply because I am a Man in a Skirt
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

It is my opinion that this sixties style of female mini skirt was not entirely suitable for the male .....as a new male fashion garment .
I am returning to my old Hobby Horse ....where I am saying that there is a difference between .....
A Man in a Skirt ..and ... a Male who wishes to appear ....Dressed as a Female.
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

I am perhaps going back to one of my old themes for a thread where I asked
if a Man in a Skirt should wear a similar style of skirt to the ladies in his family group on a visit to church on a Sunday.

Perhaps the answer to this question is found in a traditional style of attire which I found with my Scottish Ex Patriot Friends....
...The Males all wore their ....Traditional Scottish Kilts... and The Females all wore their Traditional Skirts or Dresses .

Other members may have different " Sightings in the wild ".... as I am considering variations in fashion from Region to Region.

The conclusion I am personally drawing is that perhaps the Male should wear His traditional male fashion : .....and the female should wear
Her traditional female fashion....

As I have previously stated , My approach to my New Fashion of a Man In His Traditional Summer Skirt is slightly different to the 70 year old lassie in her modern style of attire.
The lassies do like the way I wear my outfits.

Going back to the " Swinging Sixties Fashions " .....Please excuse my rant as we are now fifty years further down the road of life.
I only saw what was going on in the regions where I lived .
Knickson

Post by Knickson »

I don`t see a problem with Skirts being `Unisex ` , I wear womens skirts and trousers as they fit me better than mens .
new2skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by new2skirts »

Knickson wrote:I don`t see a problem with Skirts being `Unisex ` , I wear womens skirts and trousers as they fit me better than mens .
I would rather wear a fitted ladies' skirt with a zip at the rear, than pay through the nose for a "men's" one, usually poorly fitted or exaggerated men's design like the fly on the men's side :roll: expect denim, drab colours if you do :P
Formerly Kilty / Joe Public etc...