The Classical Robe

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

The Classical Robe

Post by weeladdie18 »

I saw a painting in " the times " newspaper ....A young classical Middle Eastern warrior in his upper body armour and his white tunic about four inches
above his knee cap . He was also wearing high calf length sandels .
I liked the image of the lower half of his tunic as it looked very full . I though the answer might be to make one as a full circle skirt .

Perhaps calculate the circumference of say a 16 inch circle skirt and make the garment
out of a piece of material 16 inches when finished x the circumference of the circle skirt . Thread a piece of chord through the waist band and
pull the garment into shape . Might even use an elastic waist band.

The other thought was to make the garment as a tunic gyrating out to a circle skirt from the shoulders of the wearer....Simply secure the excess material
with a waist belt.

I would assume these working warriors garments were fairly simple to make. However I have no reference as to how full a tunic might have been.
Many of the old statues and prints give the impression that these were box pleated garments.....My thoughts are this was just the impression
of vertical leather strap armour over a tunic. Has anyone explored this style of short tunic .
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Re: The Classical Robe

Post by Jim »

Classical Middle Eastern warrior is not very precise. What time and area? Here's what ancient Egyptian soldiers wore:

You'd probably want something less revealing for everyday use in today's society.
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Well, at least the artist has them marching in step, but didn't know much about the 'eyes front' order!

As you say Jim, less revealing, but most places are not so stinking hot as the Nile valley.

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

Thank you gentlemen , for your comments...I am being vague as to period and location as many film set costumes , and so called historical paintings of the
location and period , may not be entirely accurate . I am wondering if anyone has seen what might be called accurate illustrations on what
" A School boy " might perceive as possibly a " Roman Army Tunic "

It is reasonable to assume that during the Biblical Times armies move their locations and changed style of their uniforms.

I am working on the theory that a historian may have published a work on various styles of uniform tunics .
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

Perhaps the 21 Centuary men in skirts might choose to borrow a suitable design for their own use.