French skirt

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Freedomforall
Member Extraordinaire

French skirt

Post by Freedomforall »

I have had my eye on this skirt for a long time. https://www.hiatus-shop.com/en/every-me ... -noir.html

The price is well over my budget. It is $239.00 USD. I found it on Ebay. The interesting thing is the pictures on both sites are the same. I ordered the one from Ebay for $23 and it came today. It is excellent quality and I am very happy.

Here is the link if anyone is interested. The sizing seems to be accurate.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/US-Vintage-Men ... 0227.m3827
FestivalGuy

Re: French skirt

Post by FestivalGuy »

That is a very nice look. I like it. Kind of reminds of a modern styled kilt but floor length. i like the top part and would buy one in a 18" length. not sure about the long one on me.
andrewsh

Post by andrewsh »

While I understand wanting to get things cheaper, I discourage anyone from buying those. It’s a Chinese rip-off that deliberately goes down with the price. If you can’t afford the original Hiatus, it’s better to buy something else, but not one of these.
Dust
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Dust »

Thanks for posting. I had seen this on eBay already, and thought it looked interesting. Didn't realize it was a knock off of something spendy, but I'm not surprised. Glad to hear it's decent quality though.

As far as not supporting Chinese knock-offs, I get it. I'd rather not. At the same time, as far as the price of the "real" version, I have never spent that much on any single piece of clothing. I have two (regular men's) suits that cost almost that, but that's about it, and that's for jacket and pants together. With a 10:1 price difference, the savings of the knock-off is the difference between "forget about it," and "maybe I'll order one." And this actually does ship from within the US, and I don't know where it was made. Most clothing sold in the US, no matter how high of quality, is made overseas.

I get most of my kilts and such off eBay. Usually they're used Utilikilts, partly to save money, and partly because I like the older design better. So many are barely used, and the quality was good to start. I've gotten cheap kilts from overseas and been disappointed before, so I'm wary of crap from overseas.

I have no reason to believe that the "real" version wasn't made in the same Chinese sweat shop. Their website says it was "Designed & patterned in France" with no indication as to where it was made. It might be different material, but that's probably it.
Chirp
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Chirp »

Since I wear kilts and I like long skirts so this skirt fits into what I like,
Its very simple style that would blend in well to wearing.

There are few other skirts on there sight that look good,
No one mess's with a big guy in kilt
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Big and Bashful »

I like the look of that, if it comes in 44 to 46 inch equator I may be tempted.
I am the God of Hellfire! and I bring you truffles!
Dust
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Dust »

Big and Bashful wrote:I like the look of that, if it comes in 44 to 46 inch equator I may be tempted.
Another eBay listing has a size chart that goes up to a 45" waist (5XL) but only has the option to select up to a 42" waist (3XL).
Freedomforall
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Freedomforall »

Dust wrote:
Big and Bashful wrote:I like the look of that, if it comes in 44 to 46 inch equator I may be tempted.
Another eBay listing has a size chart that goes up to a 45" waist (5XL) but only has the option to select up to a 42" waist (3XL).
Mine shipped from Orlando.
andrewsh

Post by andrewsh »

Dust wrote:I have no reason to believe that the "real" version wasn't made in the same Chinese sweat shop. Their website says it was "Designed & patterned in France" with no indication as to where it was made. It might be different material, but that's probably it.
I think the original Hiatus is actually made in France. I have no reason to believe they make them in China or elsewhere. They’re a small shop, I think it would be more hassle for them to actually contract someone overseas to sew it.
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

If it ships from China, beware the sizing.
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
Freedomforall
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Freedomforall »

The sizing seemed on par to me.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Yes bu the Asian unit of measurement is 10% shorter than the ones we use, sometimes 15%. Don't be fooled!!!!
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Gusto10
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Gusto10 »

andrewsh wrote:
Dust wrote:I have no reason to believe that the "real" version wasn't made in the same Chinese sweat shop. Their website says it was "Designed & patterned in France" with no indication as to where it was made. It might be different material, but that's probably it.
I think the original Hiatus is actually made in France. I have no reason to believe they make them in China or elsewhere. They’re a small shop, I think it would be more hassle for them to actually contract someone overseas to sew it.
It indeed is, it sits near the Maison Carré in Nimes, just outside the centre of town. It's also near the Jardin de la Fontaine.
finrod
Distinguished Member

Post by finrod »

I'm also a fan of Hiatus designs who finds the price a barrier - though probably fair, considering the quality and them being made in France.

I can appreciate the reasoning of both sides when it comes to knockoffs like this. I believe with apparel, it's legal to copy another brand's design, right down to the stitch. The way they've lifted the photos directly from the Hiatus site, on the other hand, is :(

One difference I noticed is the Hiatus model is made of cotton gabardine, while the Ebay one is polyester (actually "ployester" - perhaps a Freudian slip?).

Joe
Gusto10
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Gusto10 »

An alternative would be this German seamstress: https://www.mode-trend-s.de/. I couldn't figure out how active she is at present, but what is shown, looks good.