Vintage styled

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Vintage styled

Post by dillon »

https://www.wotoba.com/collections/vint ... gIjTvD_BwE

Came across this. Know nothing about the company, but given that their "plus size" isn't actually very plus, assuming they are in China.

My theory about Chinese clothing makers is they just can't believe Americans could be as big as we are. But, too, I suppose they didn't anticipate men shopping for the skirts they make.
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
Uncle Al

Re: Vintage styled

Post by Uncle Al »

My - They do have some beautiful designs :D
But, their size chart must be a figment of their imagination.
I won't be ordering from them, darn :!:

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

I sent them the following email;

Hi,

I found your website and totally love the designs.
My problem is on checking for correct size measurements.
I would normally wear a 2XL or 3XL. Your 5XL does not
come close to my waist size of 44 inches. If you want
to sell your products to a Plus-Size community, re-think
your sizing. I have a 48 inch chest, 44 inch waist. In
America, this qualifies as a 2XL or 3XL.

Get realistic about your sizing or you won’t be selling
many products to the majority of people.

Thanks!

(Name & City withheld here)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I'll post their reply, if any.

Uncle Al
Kilted Organist/Musician
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ray »

In fairness, there aren’t many who have waists over 40 inches. If you want the clothes, you lose weight.

It’s a bit harder for a tall man to lose height....
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jim »

Those are nice designs, but don't fit my shape either. I have a 31" waist, but all of them would drag on the floor for me. Maybe shortening one wouldn't be too hard?
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

This is the response I received to my email -

Hi Alan B Cavitt,

Sizes of items from different designers differ.Pls do click size icon"SML"to check BWH of item itself.

If you run into any issue, feel free to email us back and we will get back to you ASAP.

Best regards,
Shimmy

I won't be ordering from them :(

Uncle Al
Kilted Organist/Musician
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

Ray wrote:In fairness, there aren’t many who have waists over 40 inches.
I'd dispute that contention. I'm 6'3" and the shortest of my male siblings. I wore a 34 at my thinnest, when I was a 170 pound college kid 40 some years ago, but in normal age progression, at least in this country, a 40+ waist is not at all unusual at my height.

I don't expect the clothing industry to accommodate all size "outliers." Personally, I've grown accustomed to the pointlessness of walking into a shoe store with the hope of finding anything in my size other than basketball sneakers. That fact reflects the stereotyping that results from hidden bias. In my case, it's the assumption by merchandisers that if one is tall with big feet, all he could possibly want is basketball shoes, right? Because "basketball player" is logically the ideal image to which a tall man should aspire, right? Given the rising awareness of the portion of the population excluded from the 'beauty' club, on the basis of body size/shape, it's credibly arguable that clothing sizing and style choice don't necessarily reflect a market majority. Arguably, they really reflect only an invented ideal of beauty...the Barbie Doll syndrome...fictitious for most of us, but apparently serving the industry in the psychology of its marketing.

Ray, I'm happy if you've maintained a trim figure into your senior years, but I couldn't help but sense a bit of sweeping generalization in your remarks, and sort of felt as if some of us were being "body-shamed" by it. I'm not faulting you, only observing the bias. We ALL absorb these biases. Popular media bears a great deal of responsibility for the disseminating stereotypes. But it does hurt people who don't fit the commercially fabricated concept of 'size = beauty.' In the way the clothing industry and the media co-function, the portion of the population who will never approach the ideal are subtly told that they are undeserving of validation, and are of less essential worth than those who approach this invented ideal. And that limited range of designated 'beauty' affects and subtly impairs a substantial (no pun intended) portion of society. Our own self-image, the way we see the worth of others, and our willingness to associate with others is strongly influenced by media, even when we know, as individuals, that we don't fit the media stereotype of ideal beauty, and on an intellectual level, that we are being manipulated. It takes only attitude coupled with a few words and images to poison us, but it takes the rest of our lives to detoxify that poison.

I certainly understand that it's unrealistic to think that we can eliminate all visually-based prejudices, but, at the least, we ought to make ourselves aware of our innate biases and their origins. We can recognize the subtle self-image poison with which we are being infused. Influencing imagery and attitude surround us daily; it is virtually inescapable. We all understand that human worth should not be judged by physical appearance, and should concede that body shape is really no different than any other superficial bias - age, gender, race, etc. It's just another prejudice that diminishes the opportunity and basic dignity any individual should be accorded.
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

Ray wrote:In fairness, there aren’t many who have waists over 40 inches. If you want the clothes, you lose weight.
It’s a bit harder for a tall man to lose height....
That is not fair at all. And where did your get your facts on the number of people who have waists over 40 inches. I see more people with waists at least 40 or more all of the time. Walking down town yesterday almost every one over a certain age had waists over 40 inches myself included. Why should we have to do anything to have clothes made to fit us?????????
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Fred in Skirts wrote:I see more people with waists at least 40 or more all of the time. Walking down town yesterday almost every one over a certain age had waists over 40 inches myself included. Why should we have to do anything to have clothes made to fit us?????????
.TONE=sarcasm

Well, the answer really is obvious, if you want to be included with the Beautiful People then you need to lose weight. That's all there is to it. Thin is in, dammit, just conform.

.TONE=normal

No, it's not fair, but that's the way the media and the Fashion (capital "F" there) industries are geared -- and that's not likely to change any time soon. Put bluntly, it sucks -- and it sucks for any number of reasons, not the least of which being that it removes anything even remotely attractive from any "normal" sized person in the USA today. We are, largely (no pun intended) what we are, and given the rotten food-sourcing chain in the USA today that's not likely to change either. I'm hoping it's better elsewhere on the planet.

Further, it needs to be recalled that physical "beauty" is but skin deep; intellectual and spiritual beauty is vastly more important in the real world. Physical beauty wanes with time; true inner beauty does not unless there are profound changes to the mind. Let's cherish the latter.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

To mention standard size off the peg Kilts here....an average size male with a 32 inch waist would be six feet tall........

I remember in the 1970' s the younger males were taller than their fathers for their waist size.

Perhaps the sizing of garments is relative to the size of the residents of the country of origin of the garment
and not the sizing of the residents to which the garment is exported .
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

Thank you for the References ....Some nice garments at sensible U.K. prices . I am wary of buying on line due to the feel of the material
and odd sizing of some garments ....As I have said before .....always carry a tape measure you can trust
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ray »

My statement stands in my experience - which is UK centric. There are not that many people with waists over 40 inches. In my office of 45 staff, there are probably two or three whose waists exceed 40 inches. I didn’t say “how dare you have a waist that size: lose it”. I merely stated that if you’re going to have a waist measurement of 40 or over, don’t necessarily expect the world to bow to your demands.

I’m a 36 inch waist. I should be a 32. I don’t bleat about certain clothing not being in my size. I accept that if I want certain fashions, I’m going to have to lose weight. It’s in my hands. If you have big feet and can’t find nice shoes, that’s a bummer and I sympathise, but most people can do something about their weight.
JeffB1959
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JeffB1959 »

I did some measuring. My waist size is currently 35 inches which equates to around 89 centimeters, so, I'd have to order a size XXL when it comes to clothes on their website. Some of the long skirts would be floor sweepers on me while others come up short, same with the long dresses, it depends on the style. Still, the prices can't be beat.
I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman.
Gusto10
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Gusto10 »

dillon wrote:https://www.wotoba.com/collections/vint ... gIjTvD_BwE

Came across this. Know nothing about the company, but given that their "plus size" isn't actually very plus, assuming they are in China.

My theory about Chinese clothing makers is they just can't believe Americans could be as big as we are. But, too, I suppose they didn't anticipate men shopping for the skirts they make.
It's a site which presents itself under various names as spontaneous advertisement. Here: https://modetalente.com/ it presents itself as a German site, but when looking closer no contact details are available, nor information on where registered. I would keep far from it.