Remaining confident

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Remaining confident

Post by moonshadow »

I just wanted to continue my thoughts earlier about rebuilding/maintaining my confidence with regards to my chosen style during these trying times.

NO POLITICS WHATSOEVER!

This thread is about building each other up, not tearing each other down....
Fred In Skirts wrote:Cheer up Moon, And remember that the bullies only win if you let them. I have told myself I will not give in to them and I won't.
I know it is hard to stand up to the bullies of the world, but you have been doing a fantastic job of it. While I don't live in the same area you do I too must face bullies as well and I just send them on their way. I then forget about them and smile and say to myself self you won another one!
One thing to be clear, though I have considered losing the skirts off and on, I've about settled myself on continuing on my skirted journey despite what naysayers might take issue with. It think, my former thread was just to get a few things off my chest, and perhaps a subliminal plea to get things back on track here at the cafe. Some of the post have been downright depressing and I don't think we need that now.. we need to be constructive not destructive, and sitting around moaning about things we can't change is normally destructive, at least as far as morale goes.

As it is, we're still free to do this today. Tomorrow is anyone's guess but we can cross the bridge later if we need to.
Uncle Al wrote:I FULLY understand where you're coming from, yet, I TOTALLY AGREE
with Fred-in-skirts. You've overcome quite a bit and the support that
Jenn & Amber give you is outstanding :!: :!:
I appreciate the feedback! Sometimes, even during my "good days" it still takes a little mental "nudging" to still get out there and be myself.

So long as the resistance remains verbal from a distance and doesn't cross the line into physical assault (and I doubt it will), then I'm fine to not worry about it. I like the styles I wear and I like the feeling of the breeze between my legs. I'm not going to stop just because of the ongoing social war taking place in the world at large. Besides, I've got a Florida trip coming up in the dog days of summer in an area of the country that's known for being downright hot and sticky that time of year... do you think I'd really suffer through that in dreadful black pants?? :lol:

I did get a chance to get to Ollies in Bristol VA to purchase an air conditioner and yes, I wore my black knee length skirt with blue top. Just like the old times, I didn't notice any negative feedback, though I really wasn't looking.
Lately I've only been able to read the posts as my Brother-in-Law, 14years
my junior, has had triple bypass surgery this past Wednesday. He's back in
ICU due unexpected complications. He is my wife's 'baby brother'.
I offer my well wishes and blessings to your brother-in-law, may he make a full and speedy recovery.
crfriend wrote:Yes, things are getting nastier, and it's not imagination. I see it even where I live but refuse (so far) to let it sway me. The world -- perhaps more now than in 1930s Germany -- is increasingly a hateful place, and there seems to be no moderating force to counter it. i still receive more positive signal than negative, but even I am getting uncertain.
You know things are getting bad when Carl starts making typo's.... :wink: :twisted:

"but even I am getting uncertain", I think it will be okay. I plan to just keep quietly doing my own thing....
john62 wrote:Please let's get back to skirts.
YES! Say it louder for those in the back of the room!
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Uncle Al

Re: Remaining confident

Post by Uncle Al »

:thumright: :cheers: :thumleft:

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Uncle Al wrote: :thumright: :cheers: :thumleft:

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
WOOT WOOT!

:kiltdance: :toast: :flower:
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
JeffB1959
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JeffB1959 »

Without confidence in yourself, nothing can be achieved in life.
I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

JeffB1959 wrote:Without confidence in yourself, nothing can be achieved in life.
This is true!
-Andrea
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

Now you are sounding more like the Moon Shadow we all know and love!!

:yellow: :thewave: :thewave: :yellow:
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

A YouTube clip from the movie Sound of Music - sort of says it all - - - - -

https://video.search.yahoo.com/yhs/sear ... tion=click
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
Freedomforall
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Freedomforall »

I find there is a direct correlation to how much confidence or energy I feel and people's reactions. I have been feeling really drained as of late and Sunday was no exception. My initial thought when I feel this way is to wear something less conspicuous. I always try and do just the opposite though by wearing the most flamboyant outfit I can. We went grocery shopping and I wore my very long tie-dye skirt. The skirt caught the eye of an older woman and her husband walking out. She turned her head sideways and scowled the entire time as she was walking out. I responded with a smile and kept walking. I found it ironic that her hair was styled in a very short buzz cut. Years ago her style would have been considered "manly", yet she found it worthy to frown at me. Oh the irony!
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

We do need strength and confidence choosing to be in a very small nonconforming minority, the 0.001% or whatever. I think it is character building and a good grounding to deal with other issues in the future.
Most people are a small minority in some aspect of their lives but not all are so evident out in public; stamp collecting or collecting old computer equipment for some and restoring a Warsop Benjo in my case. Why should we be able to be individuals in our hearts and minds but not in appearance?

Thanks to this forum and the many contributors, that I am now able to go about in a mini skirt with such nonchalance. I hope to reciprocate by supporting others wishing to do so, although not wanting to proselytise.

Stay strong!
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Freedomforall wrote:The skirt caught the eye of an older woman and her husband walking out. She turned her head sideways and scowled the entire time as she was walking out. I responded with a smile and kept walking. I found it ironic that her hair was styled in a very short buzz cut. Years ago her style would have been considered "manly", yet she found it worthy to frown at me. Oh the irony!
That reminds me of the woman who was driving across the Lebanon Walmart parking lot who stopped her car in the middle of the road to give me the evil eye. She finally moved on after a short bit.

So now I tell people that I've been known to "stop traffic", and they're like "oh hahaha..." and I'm like... "no really, I've actually... stopped traffic". :mrgreen: :lol:

It's amazing what people let bother them isn't it?
-Andrea
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

Freedomforall wrote:She turned her head sideways and scowled the entire time as she was walking out. I responded with a smile and kept walking. I found it ironic that her hair was styled in a very short buzz cut. Years ago her style would have been considered "manly", yet she found it worthy to frown at me. Oh the irony!
It was also what happened to female prisoners in the days gone by. So any woman who's hair was cut that way was to be avoided like the plague.

"Let he who is without sin throw the first stone!!"
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Fred in Skirts wrote:"Let he who is without sin throw the first stone!!"
Ahhh.... thus the "she's" are exempt! :P :wink:
-Andrea
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

moonshadow wrote:
Fred in Skirts wrote:"Let he who is without sin throw the first stone!!"
Ahhh.... thus the "she's" are exempt! :P :wink:
Semantics, semantics!! :lol: :lol: :ugeek:
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Freedomforall wrote:I found it ironic that her hair was styled in a very short buzz cut. Years ago her style would have been considered "manly", yet she found it worthy to frown at me.
I suspect that if anybody took the time to actually delve into the issue it'd emerge that she's pretty sad about her own lot in life and hence will be tempted to take that out on others.

Take the source into account and ignore it.

"Haters are gonna hate." There's nothing that can be done about those.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Elisabetta
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Elisabetta »

Ignore those who cast stones. Pray for them and move on. They're not showing you your character but their own. Granted she judged you by the clothes you wear but if we fall into the same category as to what she done then we are just as guilty.Be proud to be in your own skin and shower those who look down upon you with kindness. In this cruel world a smile can turn frowns faster than those that never smile.
"When life gets blurry adjust your focus."