Musing on a notion

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
crfriend
Master Barista

Musing on a notion

Post by crfriend »

In a very rare and slightly unpleasant exchange several days ago I got into with a chap who couldn't really fathom my taste for skirts in preference to trousers (mainly jeans), and when I baldly stated that I simply prefer them as I find them more comfortable than trousers received a retort of, "Well, it puts a little wind under your dress then that's fine." Sadly, I was not quick enough on the uptake to mention that that's actually a fairly sublime sensation and he might profitably give it a go. I view that as a lost opportunity, perhaps on a lost soul.

Winding the clock forward, we had a positively freakish wonderful day today with temperatures in the 20s (C) and light breezes this morning when it was still in the teens and I was headed to work. Knowing that it was going to be nice, I opted for something light -- my blue floaty skirt with appliquéd embroidery, a blue brocade silk waistcoat, white dress shirt with "TGIF" tie spelt out in nautical flags, and my blue suede courts.

I got but a single comment at work, and that had to do with the fact that I was wearing a tie again.

After lunch, the wind started picking up, and when I went to my car after work is was in a fresh breeze -- and it felt wonderful. My skirt took on a life almost its own, yet stayed behaved around me. I was actually part of nature, not some slab of beef trussed up headed to market. Gentle breezes were everywhere -- and were grand.

When I was walking into my local to blow off some steam from the week (and it needed doing, I can say with authority) one of the women I frequently chat with was exiting. "Hi, Carl! Bye, Carl!" was the greeting, to which I put on a sad face to which a chuckle was had by all, but she did mention, "You look beautiful today!"as my skirt gently fluttered in the wind. I thanked her and bid her adieu.

Outdoors later on, trying to figure out where the wind was actually coming from and whether I should open the windows, I caught a glimpse in the glass doors of me in profile leaning slightly into the wind, and with the skirt and my ponytail trailing me as the wind blew. The feeling of the wind on and caressing me was wonderful but the sight of how it affected what I was wearing was amazing. Just about everything was in motion -- which is something that 99+% of guys never experience: and the feelings that went with it were sublime.

More guys need to get some wind up their skirts. They know not what they miss, and once exposed won't likely give it up.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire
Location: 65 year The Hague, The Netherlands, then Allentown, PA, USA

Re: Musing on a notion

Post by beachlion »

I had a similar experience today regarding the wind. I walked in a stiff breeze in an almost knee long skirt. Thanks to the quite heavy denim it stayed decent. The air circulation around the legs was a nice experience.
All progress takes place outside the comfort zone - M J Bobak
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

crfriend wrote:After lunch, the wind started picking up, and when I went to my car after work is was in a fresh breeze -- and it felt wonderful. My skirt took on a life almost its own, yet stayed behaved around me. I was actually part of nature, not some slab of beef trussed up headed to market. Gentle breezes were everywhere -- and were grand.

Outdoors later on, trying to figure out where the wind was actually coming from and whether I should open the windows, I caught a glimpse in the glass doors of me in profile leaning slightly into the wind, and with the skirt and my ponytail trailing me as the wind blew. The feeling of the wind on and caressing me was wonderful but the sight of how it affected what I was wearing was amazing. Just about everything was in motion -- which is something that 99+% of guys never experience: and the feelings that went with it were sublime.
Ahhh! I have BEEN THERE! It is indeed a truly magickal sensation!

The part about being a part of nature... how true! I've had those same thoughts... don't you just feel so grateful to be alive on those type of days?? I know I do.

You'll never get that with boring old pants....
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

I went as far as to coin a term for that sensation of breeze and its affect on certain skirts.
I called it a "riffle" and for me, it sums up that feeling of liquidity that is unique to certain garments.
Looking back on my development, I realise that guys are discouraged from expressing positive sensuous notions such as this.
That feeling of riffle is just pure liberation and we can only hope that more will experience it in the future.
I would also add that in the very rare moments of hot weather that we get in these climes I am the most comfortable guy in the office by a long chalk.
Nice positive post.
Steve.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Yes, I concur with all that's been said. I love skater-type skirts with the relatively full hem and the way that the skirt moves as I walk. The way the breeze affects the movement of the skirt when in motion. Indescribably, really. Steve, riffle is such a good word for it and I'll think in those terms from now on. We need some new words to describe the sensations.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Sinned,
Thanks, I have no idea how I came up with the connection but I associate it with one of my favourite smells.
Riffle
"turn over something, especially the pages of a book, quickly and casually."
"he riffled through the pages" · "she opened a book and riffled the pages"
You can't get that scent from a kindle or tablet, just like wind, trousers and skirts.
Steve.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

STEVIE wrote:You can't get that scent from a kindle or tablet, just like wind, trousers and skirts.
True, but new electronics (like tablets) do have a pleasant scent that I enjoy. Really old electronics, particularly ones that work on vacuum tubes also emit a pleasing aroma when they are switched on (to me anyway). I also like the smell the heater makes when it's running for the first time in the fall, as it burns off the dust on the heat exchanger, as well as the smell an air conditioner makes when it's running for the first time, or the smell of the house when you open the windows on a cool breezy spring day (like fresh o-zone).

Finally, I got to experience one I don't get often at the dump (of all places), the smell of an antique pickup truck burning fuel very inefficiently (running somewhat rich)... ummmmm... the smell of old carbureted vehicles... :) ... the smell of 4 miles to the gallon.... :lol:
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

moonshadow wrote:[...] the smell of an antique pickup truck burning fuel very inefficiently (running somewhat rich)... ummmmm... the smell of old carbureted vehicles... :) ... the smell of 4 miles to the gallon.... :lol:
And the visceral roar of a 4-barrel carburettor opening up to full-throttle [0]. Sadly, that is almost never heard in these days of fuel-injected engines but is a fond memory of years gone by.

[0] A good example may be heard in the movie The Blues Brothers in the bridge scene with the Illinois Nazis. A snippet may be available on-line.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

My reminiscence is the smell of leather seats in old cars. When I was very young ( late 1950's all cars then seemed to have leather seats, no plastic or vinyl then ). Somehow the leather in modern cars just doesn't smell the same, if at all. And petrol, reminds me of times spent with my dad under the bonnet ( and other places ) of the cars that we owned. Ah, memories. :)
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

I remember my dad bringing home our first car. It was a 1946 Chevrolet 4 door with cloth seats and the admonition that no one can eat in the car. It was of course BLACK. 3 in the floor and it was one of my most favorite smells. It had a six cylinder motor and ran like a scalded cat. My father kept that car until about 1957 when he bought a Buick Electra. Same rules on eating in the car. it had a Hydro Static transmission.
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.