New Etsy shop with unisex skirts

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.

Re: New Etsy shop with unisex skirts

Postby Grok » Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:49 am

STEVIE wrote:That could be highly cost effective with minimal risk to the core business too.

Steve.
Though the idea of marketing such is bold! :idea:
Grok
Member Extraordinaire
 
Posts: 1809
Joined: Fri Aug 29, 2008 2:21 am

Re: New Etsy shop with unisex skirts

Postby STEVIE » Tue Apr 09, 2019 4:34 am

Yes it is and I am certainly not knocking the idea or the thinking behind it,
If all is fair in love and war, retail has to come a close third.
I'd love to see it work and be a commercial success too.
Steve.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire
 
Posts: 1891
Joined: Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:01 pm
Location: North East Scotland.

Re: New Etsy shop with unisex skirts

Postby Freedomforall » Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:19 pm

So my new skirt from Etsy came today. I am slightly disappointed to say the least. The color is nothing like the picture. The sizing is obviously off. Last but not least, the feels nice on me but I will not even be posting pictures of me in it until I modify it. It certainly accentuates the male physique. Here is a quote from Forrest Gump, "That is all I am going to say about that."
I think I can maybe add a pleat or something in the front. I am just not one to be walking around "exposing" myself.
User avatar
Freedomforall
Member Extraordinaire
 
Posts: 607
Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:00 pm

Re: New Etsy shop with unisex skirts

Postby r.m.anderson » Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:04 am

Freedomforall wrote:So my new skirt from Etsy came today. I am slightly disappointed to say the least. The color is nothing like the picture. The sizing is obviously off. Last but not least, the feels nice on me but I will not even be posting pictures of me in it until I modify it. It certainly accentuates the male physique. Here is a quote from Forrest Gump, "That is all I am going to say about that."
I think I can maybe add a pleat or something in the front. I am just not one to be walking around "exposing" myself.


OK this is what I see that you ordered:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/591108280/ ... e_active_2
blood-moon skater.jpg


As for the color - what you sees is not what you gets - still yet it can't be all that bad.
It was supposed to be a custom made to size skirt - what could go wrong here - maybe used that new metric measurement.
Maybe you inhaled while measuring once - where you should have exhaled and measured twice and put a couple of fingers in for good measure
Not too tight just right
Curious how do you get into that darn skirt ?
I don't see a zipper - button panel or even a break in the waist ?
Maybe it is elastic (a pull on - stretch to fit) although it doesn't appear that way.

It certainly accentuates the male physique
I don't completely agree here quite the opposite men are not so wasp waist over that much area - the waist band should be much narrower
with more skirt less waist material.

So you are thinking of a modification:
Suggestion add two panels - perhaps box pleats one on each side where a side seam would be - leave the flat front aspect as is.
By adding panels at the side the waist can be altered if this is necessary.
The added panels should be a solid color - lighter to offer contrast.

But that is just my recommendation -
My credentials: SkirtCafe wanna-be custom clothing designer extraordinaire - not your usual aplomb stuff - LOL !
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
User avatar
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire
 
Posts: 1874
Joined: Sun Nov 07, 2004 6:25 pm
Location: Bloomington MN

Re: New Etsy shop with unisex skirts

Postby Freedomforall » Thu Apr 11, 2019 4:30 am

r.m.anderson wrote:
Freedomforall wrote:So my new skirt from Etsy came today. I am slightly disappointed to say the least. The color is nothing like the picture. The sizing is obviously off. Last but not least, the feels nice on me but I will not even be posting pictures of me in it until I modify it. It certainly accentuates the male physique. Here is a quote from Forrest Gump, "That is all I am going to say about that."
I think I can maybe add a pleat or something in the front. I am just not one to be walking around "exposing" myself.


OK this is what I see that you ordered:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/591108280/ ... e_active_2
blood-moon skater.jpg


As for the color - what you sees is not what you gets - still yet it can't be all that bad.
It was supposed to be a custom made to size skirt - what could go wrong here - maybe used that new metric measurement.
Maybe you inhaled while measuring once - where you should have exhaled and measured twice and put a couple of fingers in for good measure
Not too tight just right
Curious how do you get into that darn skirt ?
I don't see a zipper - button panel or even a break in the waist ?
Maybe it is elastic (a pull on - stretch to fit) although it doesn't appear that way.

It certainly accentuates the male physique
I don't completely agree here quite the opposite men are not so wasp waist over that much area - the waist band should be much narrower
with more skirt less waist material.

So you are thinking of a modification:
Suggestion add two panels - perhaps box pleats one on each side where a side seam would be - leave the flat front aspect as is.
By adding panels at the side the waist can be altered if this is necessary.
The added panels should be a solid color - lighter to offer contrast.

But that is just my recommendation -
My credentials: SkirtCafe wanna-be custom clothing designer extraordinaire - not your usual aplomb stuff - LOL !
User avatar
Freedomforall
Member Extraordinaire
 
Posts: 607
Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:00 pm

Re: New Etsy shop with unisex skirts

Postby STEVIE » Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:18 am

Hi FFA
Chalk that one up to experience, live and learn from it.
The modifications you suggest imply that you are perfectly capable of making a skirt for yourself from scratch.
As an exercise, try putting a true cost on it. Particularly, a true reflection of the cost of the time taken.
It would be interesting to discover how the total would compare to the price of the skirt you have.
You may very well have a future as a fashion designer, why not?
Steve.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire
 
Posts: 1891
Joined: Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:01 pm
Location: North East Scotland.

Re: New Etsy shop with unisex skirts

Postby r.m.anderson » Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:18 am

Freedomforall:

You quoted my post of your quote and left no reply - comment ???
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
User avatar
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire
 
Posts: 1874
Joined: Sun Nov 07, 2004 6:25 pm
Location: Bloomington MN

Re: New Etsy shop with unisex skirts

Postby Freedomforall » Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:26 am

r.m.anderson wrote:Freedomforall:

You quoted my post of your quote and left no reply - comment ???


Oops, I am not sure what happened. I need to post pictures of this skirt so you can see that it does not look much like the picture at all. As for the size I used the chart and it suggested a large for me, which is much too big. I am glad I ordered it too big though, because it would definitely enhance body contours even more. I am interested in further visualizing your alteration suggestion.
User avatar
Freedomforall
Member Extraordinaire
 
Posts: 607
Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:00 pm

Re: New Etsy shop with unisex skirts

Postby crfriend » Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:07 am

From the looks of it, that's a very high-waisted design. Are you trying to wear it on your hips?
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
User avatar
crfriend
Master Barista
 
Posts: 10501
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2004 9:52 pm
Location: New England (U.S.)

Re: New Etsy shop with unisex skirts

Postby Freedomforall » Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:43 pm

crfriend wrote:From the looks of it, that's a very high-waisted design. Are you trying to wear it on your hips?


High waist skirts are my favorite and that is one of the reasons this item attracted me. I rarely wear anything on my hips. Part of the problem is the fabric is basically the same material used to make athletic clothing. I will post some pictures of the garment today.
Last edited by Freedomforall on Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Freedomforall
Member Extraordinaire
 
Posts: 607
Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:00 pm

Re: New Etsy shop with unisex skirts

Postby Freedomforall » Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:15 pm

So I am attaching links for pictures of the skirt. The material has a very athletic feel to it. It lies nothing like the skirt pictured on Etsy.

https://www.flickr.com/gp/158619975@N04/4sCy3w


Here is the inside so you can see the stretchy type material it is made of.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/158619975 ... ateposted/


I am also attaching the link to the item.

https://www.etsy.com/transaction/1606695378
User avatar
Freedomforall
Member Extraordinaire
 
Posts: 607
Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:00 pm

Re: New Etsy shop with unisex skirts

Postby Freedomforall » Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:53 pm

r.m.anderson wrote:Freedomforall:

You quoted my post of your quote and left no reply - comment ???



Hey I posted pictures of the skirt I received and the one I ordered. I think I am going to send this back. I was hoping for a fabric that had more stiffness so it would hold it's shape better.
User avatar
Freedomforall
Member Extraordinaire
 
Posts: 607
Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:00 pm

Re: New Etsy shop with unisex skirts

Postby Freedomforall » Thu Apr 11, 2019 4:00 pm

crfriend wrote:From the looks of it, that's a very high-waisted design. Are you trying to wear it on your hips?


I just posted pictures and would like your opinion. I think this warrants a refund.
User avatar
Freedomforall
Member Extraordinaire
 
Posts: 607
Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:00 pm

Re: New Etsy shop with unisex skirts

Postby Freedomforall » Thu Apr 11, 2019 4:05 pm

I requested a refund and this was the response. "I'm so sorry to hear that you are disappointed with the garment. The color difference is due to the fact that the design is printed on a white garment. This may cause the colors to appear not as dark as the mock up. Also, color settings on computer monitors vary. It's very difficult to get an exact copy of what you see on the screen. Unfortunately, because this is a custom made order printed just for you, I do not issue refunds for variances in color or tones."

The ad says the garment is 100% Polyester brushed suede. The tag says it is 95% Polyester and 5% Spandex.
User avatar
Freedomforall
Member Extraordinaire
 
Posts: 607
Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:00 pm

Re: New Etsy shop with unisex skirts

Postby STEVIE » Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:39 pm

Hi again and that is not good news in any way.
As this is an American retailer, I really have no idea if you can take any other action.
That is, except broadcasting their attitude and don't go there again.
The other pity is that it really makes it more difficult not to be cynical about similar ventures.
Steve.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire
 
Posts: 1891
Joined: Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:01 pm
Location: North East Scotland.

PreviousNext

Return to Skirts and Kilts for Men

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Ahrefs [Bot], Bing [Bot], Yandex [bot] and 3 guests