Skirts to dresses

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Skirts to dresses

Post by dillon »

Mercury wrote:
skirtyscot wrote:Sounds like a nice skirt, mercury. Got a picture of it for us?

I'd wait a while before going out with the boyfriend in a dress if I were you. Let him get comfortable with the idea of being seen with you in a skirt first.

Posting pictures on this forum seems a little complicated to me.

It's funny you should mention my boyfriend. A few days ago he told me that he would no longer go out in public with me when I wear a skirt. I was stunned and didn't know what to say. He said he's worried about my safety. He also thinks someone at his job will see, and he might get fired over it. It seems irrational to me.
It would have seemed an irrational fear three or four years ago, before this country joined “bizarro world.” But the politics du jour have enabled and emboldened all the historic prejudice and ugliness that we once believed we had left behind. Evil never dies; it simply waits for in the wings for Act II.
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
Mercury

Post by Mercury »

I thought it seemed like our society was becoming more tolerant and accepting. I have never had a bad experience while skirted. I might get funny looks, but I can deal with that.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Mercury wrote:I thought it seemed like our society was becoming more tolerant and accepting. I have never had a bad experience while skirted. I might get funny looks, but I can deal with that.
It was for a while, but that while hasn't been in about four decades. Things started hardening up, beginning with the rise of religious zealotry in the mid- to late 1970s, first in the United States and then in the Middle East bringing the sorts of joys one would expect from that. Then came the rise of the neo-con in the early 1980s, and along with that an explosion of laissez-faire capitalism the likes of which hadn't been seen since the late 1800s. Finally came the rise of more and more authoritarian regimes through the 2000s and the general destruction of most forms of community, national, and international cohesion. The last "forward" motion was in the early- to mid- 1960s, continuing into the 1970s and which was stopped dead in the 1980s and reversed completely by the 1990s. What we're experiencing now is the "grace note" (or "killing blow" depending on your bent). I do not expect a recovery; the social damage is too great and the rot too deep. We have entered a new "Dark Age". Perhaps there will be a "New Renaissance", but it'll be a long time in coming and I won't be here to see it. None of us will be.

The above having been said, precisely the only incidents that might be considered "problematic" with my skirt-wearing have involved drugs and/or alcohol as most would-be antagonists tend to leave me alone likely based on my physical size, so I'm fortunate in that regard. However, there are plenty of places I wouldn't go and I don't tend to be out late at night. All in all, it's been a good experience.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Two observations...

First I find it ironic that the few homosexual members we've had here seem to also have partners who disapprove of the member in question wearing skirts.

It doesn't seem to lend much to the notion that skirt wearing men is a homosexual thing. In fact it does seem that skirt wearing men of any orientation have difficulty with relationships when it comes to their choice in clothing...

... how retarded.

Carl, Dillon, I have great respect for both of you, and both of you are a fountain of wisdom, but I must say that I do believe you all's view of the world might be a tad bit overly pessimistic. I think things are getting better. There is some blow back, but it's not as bad as the media makes it out to be.

To be more direct, at no point in western history would we be able to wear skirts until just about a decade ago. And for what it's worth, while some may object, I do believe most people, even among those who object still respect our right to decide our own path.

That doesn't mean we should let our guard down, but I feel we must acknowledge the progress we have made as a society.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

moonshadow wrote:Carl, Dillon, I have great respect for both of you, and both of you are a fountain of wisdom, but I must say that I do believe you all's view of the world might be a tad bit overly pessimistic. I think things are getting better. There is some blow back, but it's not as bad as the media makes it out to be.
To be more direct, at no point in western history would we be able to wear skirts until just about a decade ago. And for what it's worth, while some may object, I do believe most people, even among those who object still respect our right to decide our own path.
That doesn't mean we should let our guard down, but I feel we must acknowledge the progress we have made as a society.
As a full time skirt wearer I have to agree with Mr Moonshadow. :D I have found that I am not harassed nor sent to the hospital because of my skirt wearing. Sure there are places I would not dare to go in a skirt but they are the same places I would not go when wearing trousers. In my city which has tripled in size in the last 10 years and more than that since I first moved here. There are only a few places I will not go alone in the day light or night.
Across the River in Augusta Ga there are more such places than in Aiken but I still go skirted and have not had any problems. Sure I have had a few stares and a couple of cat calls but that has been the extent of it.
And as Mr Moonshadow has said "That doesn't mean we should let our guard down". I find myself watching my rear end about the same as before. I do not let the media nor the other talking heads make me afraid to do what I enjoy doing.

Just my $.02 worth!!! :soapbox:

I think I will have a drink and enjoy the weather today as it is partly sunny and there is a warm breeze blowing.... :pint:

Perfect for skirting!!
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

moonshadow wrote: In fact it does seem that skirt wearing men of any orientation have difficulty with relationships when it comes to their choice in clothing...
Yes, it seems like the whole of society had internalized the Taboo. Or to put it another way, the Taboo has been universally pervasive.
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

It has not been a matter of being prohibited from skirts, only a matter of lessening social and employment consequences. That was the case until recently but I feel, when out and about, a resurgence in intolerance. I believe this is the direct result of “license” our current political situation grants bigotry of all sorts - race, religion, ethnic, sexual, and gender. Full frontal belligerence won’t be far behind. And my sense is that the beneficiaries of this heritance, as we have seen from Miller, Bannon, et.al., will simply blame the victims for having shamed them into concealing their prejudices.
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Gods, I am so thankful that the fates of geography deposited me on this side of the pond.
Despite my recent unsavoury encounters I am still confident for growing tolerance in this neck of the woods at least.
The year of the dress experiment will continue as planned, only time will verify its success or otherwise.
Glad to report that my recent visit to hospital was successful both for me and my skirts.
Steve.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

I don't know if I've noticed an uptick in obnoxious behavior in the last two years or is it a matter of me being in overly sensitive moods from time to time.

Even in this period of nonstop bad news, on days when I avoid the news and the media, and otherwise hold my head up, I really don't notice any bad behavior around others.

Some of the worst experiences I've had socially were under the Obama years, then again during that time my confidence wasn't nearly as high as it is now.

Bottom line... we have the right to be ourselves and I don't think anyone is taking that away. But the far right have a right to decide their path, and while I may not agree with much of it, as long as it doesn't cross the line into oppression of my rights or the rights of others, then we must also respect their rights to hold their various opinions.

30 years ago you literally had to be a Christian to function in this country, and as for being homosexual, or a cross dresser, or a non-Christian, or in many cases... just black, then you were really behind the 8 ball. I don't think it's anywhere near as bad today.

I've been wearing skirts for 4 years. I have Pagan symbolism all over my home, often I've worn a pentacle necklace for the last 10 years. I've been very open about my mystical and somewhat downright occultist practices. I live in the heart of bible country U.S.A.. In 99.99999% of circumstances I have always been treated with dignity and respect by locals and by people abroad.

Now I will admit, when I watch a bit of news, or listen to NPR, I start to get a very pessimistic feeling in the pit of my stomach.

When I avoid this I feel fine.....

Who likes to have their stomach tied in knots or constant worry or anguish?

Not me....

So I generally allow myself to be exposed to only small abouts of media at a time, and the moment I feel my mood start to shift downward I turn it off.

It's not healthy to feel bummed out all if the time.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

STEVIE wrote:Gods, I am so thankful that the fates of geography deposited me on this side of the pond.
Moonshadow is quite correct in his observation that I tend to be a bit of a pessimist. I find it keeps me from getting disappointed unexpectedly.

Seriously, though, I've been paying attention to the overall state of affairs for decades (since my brain finally finished booting and came online) and I remember the late '60s and the '70s. I started my professional career in the very early '80s. The '70s and '80s were mostly boom years here, that was the time of the "Massachusetts Miracle" when the computer industry was heavily concentrated in the state, employment was high with good wages and reasonable prices for things like housing -- a time where the stereotypical "nuclear family" was still possible and a household with children could do OK on one salary. That all ended in the Reagan Collapse in the late '80s, the place went bust and hasn't recovered since. Not only hasn't it recovered, it's been on a slow steady slide with things generally showing signs of decay and collapse everywhere one looks -- whether it's in the crumbling infrastructure, the dismal employment outlook (at least for real jobs), and the fact that pretty much everybody needs two or three part-time jobs and a "side hustle" to make ends meet for a single individual nevermind for a family.

Recall that my first brush with a guy in a skirt was in 1984 or so -- then precisely nothing for another two decades. Yes, Political Correctness is everywhere now and "tolerance" is enforced by the teeth of the legal system -- but enforced "tolerance" does not equate to genuine tolerance or acceptance nor to things going smoothly. It takes very little for the dark underbelly to show itself, and we seem to be seeing more of it every day, if nowhere else than in the lack of general civility in many day-to-day interactions (and certainly what's portrayed as "normal" on the telly).

To Moon's comment about "having to be Christian 30 years ago", that may have been the case in the deep South, but it was not here and I've never encountered a speck of trouble in that regard in my life.
Glad to report that my recent visit to hospital was successful both for me and my skirts.
That is excellent news indeed!
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

crfriend wrote:To Moon's comment about "having to be Christian 30 years ago", that may have been the case in the deep South, but it was not here and I've never encountered a speck of trouble in that regard in my life.
Honestly when I first started exploring alternative religious traditions I figured I'd run into a lot of grief for it. Aside from my mother (who seems to object to everything I do) I've never really had any issues on that account either.

On the other hand, the obnoxious political rhetoric is getting worse. I started with the Obama administration, when the far right wing started to get threatened, and now under the current one, they do seem as though they have a license to be an ass.

Never the less, this too shall pass. Ultimately the jerks of society will reap what they have sown.

Why just today I couldn't help but chuckle as I was passed by a solid black Dodge pickup in Boone NC "rolling coal" all over the place. The North Carolina tag read "BORN-AGN" or something like that.

What an idiot. Oh yes, making Jesus proud by being an obnoxious ass, advocating the destruction of our habitat., etc etc. :lol:

I mean... you can't make this stuff up!

Oh well... they blow soot all over me when I walk down the road.... but I know what pisses them off to no end.... when I return the next day... still wearing a skirt! I just smile and wave. I ain't no snowflake and I sure as I sure as hell ain't scared of those fools.
-Andrea
Jetblasted

Post by Jetblasted »

It’s not a good photo, but when I noticed the seam, I thought of this site. This was my 2nd skirt. The first was identical, but black. They’re actually my old gym shorts that my wife cut the crotch out of, and I sewed them together. I love them. This grey pair sees most of the wear while in the yard working.

And yes, I grew myboobs. Who knew (homemade) kilts would lead to shaved legs & boobs? Haha. I got lucky that my wife doesn’t think I’m crazy. I’m not promoting my lifestyle, I’m just a long time daily wearer of skirts & I love them.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ray »

What happened to the other one? ;-)
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by oldsalt1 »

So let me get this straight your wife actually made skirts for you to wear. That is definitely a major plus . Enjoy the acceptance
Happy-N-Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Happy-N-Skirts »

TO: Old Salt
I have been wearing skirts around the house, when hiking, and driving. My wife bought me a skirt for my birthday, she measures and shortens skirts, and sews a seam down the front and back to look more like shorts. We hike together in skirts, go shopping, to restaurants, etc.

I usually don't wear skirts within about two miles from my house. I just don't want to meet people who know me while I am wearing a skirt. I don't want to stop and explain things. I wear skirts on our street and our neighbors either accept it or think of me as an eccentric old man, which is true.

At my age and financial position I get to make my own rules now.

Happy-N-Skirts