What is your favorite skirt for flying and why?

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
David R

Re: What is your favorite skirt for flying and why?

Post by David R »

My favourite skirts for flying are all knee length travel/hiking skirts:
Marmot Riley (the older version) - https://www.rei.com/media/eec95121-1e10 ... ze=512x682
Kathmandu Semsa Travel Skirt - https://kmd-assets.imgix.net/catalog/pr ... 3.2&w=1920
Mountain Hardware Mountain Kilt - https://www.rei.com/media/3694abd7-98e5 ... ze=512x682
The Marmot Riley and Kathmandu Semsa both use fabric that has some stretch for comfort and ease of walking and climbing. The Mountain Kilt has plenty of give. Importantly none of the skirts have pleats at the back so they are comfortable to sit on, compared to a Utilikit for example. None of the skirts have metal components so they don’t set off metal detectors. All of the skirts have good pockets, in particular the Marmot Riley which is a first class skirt for men. The Kathmandu Semsa is pretty good and is the only one still available for sale. The Kathmandu Semsa is my regular daily wear. I have worn these skirts travelling all over the world for many years and never had any issues.
lazerr
Member Extraordinaire

Post by lazerr »

Purple Rain kilt is my favorite for flying. I managed to buy it cheap on Poshmark though it probably is worth the money at their website.
Reasons:
  • Very light and soft, but not see through.
    Elastic top flexes and is easy to wear without a belt.
    Has pockets.
    Super easy on-off if changing is needed.
    Looks good.
    Wrinkle resistant.
    No pleats
    No Metal or belts, so no problems at security.
    Also packs compactly, I can take this in any bag.
    Washing and Drying really easy. Dries in minutes, really! Never needs pressing
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

Nice kilt, great pic!
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
Mercury

Post by Mercury »

When I fly I prefer something loose and mid calf length. Circle skirts are my favorite.
andrewsh

Post by andrewsh »

David R wrote:Kathmandu Semsa Travel Skirt - https://kmd-assets.imgix.net/catalog/pr ... 3.2&w=1920
<…>
The Kathmandu Semsa is pretty good and is the only one still available for sale. The Kathmandu Semsa is my regular daily wear. I have worn these skirts travelling all over the world for many years and never had any issues.
I actually did order Semsa. I was pretty tricky since they don’t deliver to my country, but as I live near the border, I was able to get it delivered to a village across the border. I liked the fabric, but I wish it were a bit longer, and had bigger pockets. Not being able to decide whether I’m going to wear it or not, I returned it — but I have to admit I liked the quality.
Happy-N-Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Happy-N-Skirts »

You could have had it shortened.
Gusto10
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Gusto10 »

David R wrote:My favourite skirts for flying are all knee length travel/hiking skirts:
Marmot Riley (the older version) - https://www.rei.com/media/eec95121-1e10 ... ze=512x682
Kathmandu Semsa Travel Skirt - https://kmd-assets.imgix.net/catalog/pr ... 3.2&w=1920
Mountain Hardware Mountain Kilt - https://www.rei.com/media/3694abd7-98e5 ... ze=512x682
The Marmot Riley and Kathmandu Semsa both use fabric that has some stretch for comfort and ease of walking and climbing. The Mountain Kilt has plenty of give. Importantly none of the skirts have pleats at the back so they are comfortable to sit on, compared to a Utilikit for example. None of the skirts have metal components so they don’t set off metal detectors. All of the skirts have good pockets, in particular the Marmot Riley which is a first class skirt for men. The Kathmandu Semsa is pretty good and is the only one still available for sale. The Kathmandu Semsa is my regular daily wear. I have worn these skirts travelling all over the world for many years and never had any issues.
The first two are nice also as they are both for right handed persons, but sizing and availability is a problem.
andrewsh

Post by andrewsh »

Happy-N-Skirts wrote:You could have had it shortened.
Why, if I wanted it longer? :)
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Big and Bashful »

I flew back from Gibraltar yesterday, skirted all the way. My denim knees length cargo skirt ( Midas) worked well, not too much fabric to arrange to get a flat seat, enough fabric for moving up+down stairs, didn't notice any looks or comments. Nice breeze sitting on the balcony in Gib. keeping things cool where it matters. Plenty of pockets for phones, passports etc.

I recommend A line, knee length cargo style, only slight disadvantage when comparing to the pant was accessing my shoulder bag between my legs to get the iPad out but no real problem. I really would like to wear something looser and more flowy but finding that openly wearing a more feminine style is still a step too far for my aged brain to feel confident with, and feeling confident is important when you are dressing differently to those around you!
I am the God of Hellfire! and I bring you truffles!
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

I’ll be flying out to Houston in a week and intend to do so skirted. My only decision is which skirt? I have to choose one that will be used later in the trip, since I will be “travelin’ light” for the following couple weeks.
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
nzfreestyler
Member Extraordinaire

Post by nzfreestyler »

pretty much any skirt that is not too big or short
- ie not a maxi skirt or too pleated
- not below the knee
- hemline below my fingertips

I find the worst thing about flying/airports is:
using the stairs to the rear of the plane on some occasions and short skirts and steep stairs in a crowd going UP is awkward
small planes in a short skirt are awkward because of climbing into the plan
often airports/planes aren't heels friendly either.

a typical suit skirt I''d wear is like this (sorry about poor pic)
[attachment=0]29793064398_fd58a49349_z.jpg[/attachment]
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jim »

This worked well for me traveling back and forth between DC and Illinois this week.
DSCF3514s.jpg
This is 16" long. I usually wear shorter skirts in summer, but sitting a long time it can ride up and didn't want to cause seatmates discomfort.
Skirted Geoff

Post by Skirted Geoff »

I recently flew from Stansted airport in UK wearing a denim mini skirt. Very busy long queue for security were I set the scanner off I believe due to button on the skirt. I was patted down but he didn't know how far go, thought I would be put behind a screen. I only noticed a few stares but no one said anything. Used the airport loo, a stare or two but no comments and only short flight so no trying the small room,we had queued to board so everyone on the flight had already seen me. Yes with the sitting I had to make sure I was aware of leg positions but other than that no problems people are too busy getting flights to care. Though I can't be sure I believe I was the only male in a skirt in the airport.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

While I haven't flown in a while (1), I always wore a knee length knit skirt. I never had any problems either at the terminal on on board the aircraft. I do not wear tights or stockings with my skirts I prefer bare legs and comfortable shoes.

(1) It has been 2 years since I flew anywhere.
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
nzfreestyler
Member Extraordinaire

Post by nzfreestyler »

I always remove my stockings if flying anyway (cause of all those reports about burns etc if you're in hosiery)
I just go bare legs and pumps.

I usually have to take my pumps off/boots off. I've only had my clothing set the gates off once or twice - but my shoes usually do. Its stuff like full length zips that have been an issue for me before.

Cheers
NZF