Oor Wullie

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Oor Wullie

Post by STEVIE »

This wee guy is something of a Scottish Folk Hero.
Note how he sports our national costume.
Happy New Year and Lang Mae Yer Lums Reek!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Oor Wullie

Post by Sinned »

I remember Oor Wullie although haven't seen any cartoons for a long while. There's also "The Broons" whose adventures I also enjoyed. Since I don't read newspapers any more I never see their cartoons. Must google them more often in future.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Hi Sinned,
It is quite possible that some of our far flung compatriots may have heard of them too. The Sunday Post was one of the most widely circulated newspapers in the world.
Ex Pat Scots went everywhere and the "Post" followed them. I have no idea if this is still the case but the publisher, DC Thomson is still thriving in Dundee and the Post as well. I haven't read one in years either but it was an absolute staple for my parents.
Steve.
and here is another one so that Wullie isn't lonely.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ray »

Oor Willie
Your Willie
A’body’s Willie!
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Happy New Year Ray,
Why oh why lower the tone when we are having a discourse on one of Scotland's most cherished fictional characters.
His name is Wullie!
In God's own language the U is sounded as in "Umbrella", as taught to our very youngest scholars.
Please refrain from further japes, else the Broon Loons may be moved to call on you in person.
They might even deliver the renowned Glesga Kiss as a token of their esteem.

Slainte
Steve.
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ray »

Oops!

I’ll blame it on the two or more bottles of wine/champagne that I imbibed last night...

Happy new year, Steve!
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

My good Man and Brother in skirts, you are forgiven.
Ah, you had partaken of the Devil's Brew, try Adam's Wine the next time.
BTW, Wullie's Ma is harder than all the Broon Loons together.
Gods this is something that I haven't visiited since I was a kid.
Thanks for reviviing some good memories to Ray and Sinned.
Steve.
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

Stevie, It is worth that Oor Wullie is wearing The Kilt correctly and wearing The Kilt with pride.

Did a dark haired First Fetcher visit your threshold with a lump of Black and Shiney Coal ?
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Wee Laddie,
Oor Wullie is rather famed and cherished for not being "correct". Nothing in the drawing challenges that notion, there is no right or wrong, only a matter of opinion.
In Scotland, the first visitor on New Years Day is correctly referred to as a "First Foot". The first to step across the threshold of the house and it is a part of one of our more dearly held traditions.
Mine, was my Son but it is worth noting that coal as a gift has long been obsolete and belongs to a time now gone. A calendar or small gift of food is now seen as perfectly acceptable.
It is a new year with new beginnings and possibilities, please accept my Best Wishes to you and yours.
Slainte,
Steve.
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

Stevie. I do apologise for not being familiar with the Scottish use of Anglo Saxon modern British words.

It is interesting that the tradition of a gift of a lump of coal for a new year's good luck has been rejected as
the Lums no longer Reek in Scotland.

Here, in the most Southerly Mainland Region of the U.K. , many elderly folk fuel their Reeking Lums with recycled wooden pallets as they
are so poor that they are unable to afford to buy proper logs processed to E.U. Environmental Requirements.

I learnt on one of my trips to the Highlands that if one wishes to fuel a traditional Black House with Peat ,
one can end up digging ones way into a bog....................................

..............Happy New Year from Cornwall.........Weeladdie.