Tights, Pantyhose or Leggings

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Mike
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Tights, Pantyhose or Leggings

Post by Mike »

partlyscot wrote:The size quoted seems to small for me, what do you weigh?
I am 6'5 225 pounds. My jeans are 34x36, but can get away with 34x34.
Mike

Who the hell is 'society' anyway?
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

Mike wrote:
partlyscot wrote:The size quoted seems to small for me, what do you weigh?
I am 6'5 225 pounds. My jeans are 34x36, but can get away with 34x34.
Weight and Height play a factor in some cases of gear.
Take PH for instance - have taken a photo of the back of the package with the chart showing the range
that one size fits (not one size fits all).

DSC07147.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Note, also, in the image the the height-range tops out at 6 feet -- which is the statical upper bound of the human female form. However, the chart does offer hints that one can use to extrapolate a few extra inches of height, but one needs to be careful as sometimes there's more stretch and give in one dimension (horizontal/vertical) than the other.

Unfortunately, most of the really attractive or interesting styles aren't typically available in anything over "regular"/"normal" (5'4" in the USA per [url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_a ... _worldwide]Wikipedia[/url). Horizontal dimensions also matter, so beware.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Males, Take solace in the anatomic proportions of the female form. In females the average ratio of leg length to body or trunk height favours the leg.

Explanation: For a 6 foot female you can bet she's got an inside leg measurement approaching 36 inches, her body height from pelvis to shoulder being significantly shorter than a male of the same height, who would at best have an inside leg measurement of 33 inches and a longer, taller trunk.

This helps tall men, who will find larger tights sizes perfectly long enough not to sag at the crotch, putting it crudely.

Another interesting one is the female pelvic width and consequent distance between the hip joints. This is invariably greater than in men, affecting the angle between the lower leg (Tibia & Fibula) and the thigh (Femur). When artificial knee joints were first designed and introduced for surgical replacement they were designed by men for men. Lots of these were placed in women also and they ALL failed because the built-in angle was wrong. Only later was this recognized and different joints were constructed for ladies, which worked! (Medical hat off)

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

I found the table if sizes most odd,....I am what would be called small female size
perhaps even slim and petite. ....at table height 4 ft 9 ins the body weight in the scale was far
in excess of my slim U.K. body weight at my height of 5 ft 3ins..

It looked to me that the sizings were given for a female who looked like a small barrel. ..most odd.

It has been suggested that my family male height of my generation was standard for medieval UK
This would give female height 5 ft and male height 5 ft 4 ins.

In the neck of the woods where I worked P P E issue in small sizes fitted many of my fellow employees.
I am less than 140 lb and dieting to get back into clothes I bought a couple of years ago.

I managed to buy a Military Kilt in my size which must be stock which was at least 20 old
and unissued due to the disbanding of the regiment...
Further research showed that my size on the Nato Stock label
would have been issued to a 14 year old drummer boy who was still growing....

My shoe size an old U K 5 1/2 or U K 39 was worn by my workmates with height up to 5 ft 6.

On my last trip to Falmouth Marks and Spenser I was tall enough to look the female staff in the eye
One lady took me to three shoe departments to find a pair of slippers which fitted my feet.
For some reason all the actual size of the standard shoe fittings have changed.

One pair of slippers looked like a cat...Each slipper had a big cat's eye on the toe.
I reminded the lady that the slippers would be entirely unsuitable as the cat would spend its time
looking up my skirt..................
Very pleasant ladies...one came from South Africa and another from Ireland.........
Last edited by weeladdie18 on Fri Dec 14, 2018 5:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

Tom ...your post regarding artificial joints reminded me of an old song...

" Plastic man, plastic mack , Plastic boots and plastic hat. ".........

You may not understand one of my true stories....I was standing by my father in the village garage
beside the village duck pond and next door to the school.

On the opposite side of the pond was a large thatched farm house owned by a Gentleman Farmer
with a shiney black Bentley in the garage.
The farmers wife approached the garage from the farm house with something large hidden
beneath her coat. ...She entered the workshop and disclosed her husband's artificial leg.

The old family joke was that we always considered that the gentleman had a screw loose.
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

Even the local Vicar was a scource of local humour ......he was so poor that he could not afford
to pay for car mantainance .....he considered that his creator would provide his needs.......

He bought his Anchient Estate Car into the garage for one of his " Do it your self repairs "
My father opened his tool box and lent the Vicar the largest hammer he could find....

The Vicar was happily banging away . He looked up and saw my father watching him.
" Why are you watching me ? " , the Vicar enquired. .....My fathers reponse was.....

" I wish to know what a Holy Man says when he hits his thumb with a hammer ...."
Bertino56
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Bertino56 »

I'm not a great fan of Walmart, but they do have a huge variety of leggings
in beautiful colors and patterns, as well as the usual black, in all sizes from
extra small to plus-extra-huge. Typical prices are $3.88, $5.88, and $7.88.
Especially around the holidays, when they have specifically Christmas leggings
with Santa Claus, reindeer, etc. (They also do Halloween and other seasonal looks.)
And I do see a lot of them being worn. In the days leading up to Christmas,
I can wear my red-and-white-snowflake-and-holly leggings without anybody giving
me strange looks.
Another thing I picked up at Walmart was Dickies extra-length T-shirts. These are
long enough to cover my butt. Worn with tights or leggings or the like, they make
for a nice neat tunic-and-tights look.
JeffB1959
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JeffB1959 »

During fall and winter, I opt more for tights and leggings (the latter I wear with long sweaters) to stay warm.
I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman.
KellyRain

Post by KellyRain »

Today some lovely sweater tights in dark grey from Uniqlo over simple heat tech leggings in black. I am also using ribbed tights a lot recently because they look great with taller boots. I wear 14 hole Docs. or 20 hold Angels from Fluevogs if I know I don't need to take off my shoes much.

Uniqlo is amazing if you are small enough to wear women's tights, which I am.
Skirted at hom

Post by Skirted at hom »

JeffB1959 wrote:During fall and winter, I opt more for tights and leggings (the latter I wear with long sweaters) to stay warm.
When you say long sweaters are you meaning something in the manner of a sweater dress or just an over sized sweater wearing only that
with either leggings or tights?
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

Skirted at hom wrote:
JeffB1959 wrote:During fall and winter, I opt more for tights and leggings (the latter I wear with long sweaters) to stay warm.
When you say long sweaters are you meaning something in the manner of a sweater dress or just an over sized sweater wearing only that
with either leggings or tights?
Look at Jeffs avatar and you will get the idea - although I would wear something with a tad longer sleeves.

The overall effect is to layer clothing on as needed to stay warm and remove piece by piece to enable cooling comfort.

The head zone is the critical controlling area (think thermostat) in that it is the source of the most rapid escape of heat in the body.
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !