Zara selling skirts for men

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
lazerr
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Zara selling skirts for men

Post by lazerr »

I have discovered a reason for wearing a skirt with trousers, actually 2 ideas as to why it could be useful.

1. Fashion: I am not a fashion minded person, but, I can see where this could be seen as a style, especially a transitional style. It seems to me that the idea of a man in a skirt is so revolutionary that the silhouette is striking, and therefore a radical style. The look is certainly different! This could serve as a transition to full skirted ness, or not. At any rate it is interesting, and the price seems reasonable.

2. Warmth: I noticed on my freezing walk this morning that even with a long skirt, and good socks, I was still a bit chilled. I also reflected on cross country skiing, and though of how cold it is with pants, and how much better/ warmer, it would be if I had on pants, and a skirt (or maybe just skirt and leggings, though I have none).

I know, both of those are pretty lame, but it was in my thoughts and I decided to post.
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

I am trying to project some historical ideas for this thread.....In the Peninsular War the soldiers wives followed their husbands to the front and
acted as nurses. During the depths of winter the wives wore their husbands spare trousers beneath their long skirts......................

We had a Polish couple who worked on a farm after WW11....The wife wore her husbands trousers under her long skirt during the winter.

Both ladies and gentlemen wear long winter coats over their skirts or trousers...There is a traditional match of coats and skirts and trousers.
As a natural progression the male could wear skirts over his trousers for extra warmth.

I prefer to wear a long coat over a long skirt or layers of possibly three summer skirts for winter warmth......Just a thought....weeladdie
Daryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Daryl »

Keystone wrote:I think the crutch explanation for Zara's trouser-skirt is accurate. It looks like the stepping stone approach taken by Mathew Guiver in his blog below. I'm not certain the approach will generate more sales. Wearing the trousers underneath certainly defeats the comfort factor. Previous comment on showing it with tights or leggings would have been a good fashion- comfort compromise.
https://www.buzzfeed.com/mathewguiver/i ... for-a-week
Good grief that guy spent most of the week in pants. He calls himself a fashionista but appears to be just another affected social-mediaista.

Totally agree about defeating the comfort factor. Only recently have I even been able to find tights that "work" in that regard. Long socks for cold weather is still my main go-to.
Daryl...
Gusto10
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Gusto10 »

to bad it's only sold in 2 sizes
Daryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Daryl »

Grok wrote:
Daryl wrote:
Yep, that would be my theory. But I can't be sure they are wrong. Maybe trousers under skirts is a crutch most men would need.
Perhaps some form of leggings would do?
Indeed. For years I've used an assortment of knee-high and over-the-knee socks for the same warmth (actually better warmth) than trousers ever afforded me. And guys who are worried that bare legs under a skirt look too girly for them would probably like to see that socks were an option. Places that sell skirts to men might do well to shoot models with long socks not always bare legs, and to make those socks available too.
Daryl...
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

Unfortunately, I think that trousers would eliminate the comfort that is much of the appeal of skirts.
Last edited by Grok on Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:06 am, edited 2 times in total.
Freedomforall
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Freedomforall »

I ordered and recieved mine. It might be my favorite yet. The fabric flows rather well and has a satin type lining underneath. The pockets are as large or larger than any I have ever had. I spoke to a store in Atlanta and the clerk said they are selling them as fast as they recieve them!

Pictures later.
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire
Location: 65 year The Hague, The Netherlands, then Allentown, PA, USA

Post by beachlion »

Freedomforall wrote:..... I spoke to a store in Atlanta and the clerk said they are selling them as fast as they recieve them! .........
Did they sold them to men? That would be quite an improvement.
All progress takes place outside the comfort zone - M J Bobak
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

Is Freedomforall talking about the Zara skirt? :?:
Freedomforall
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Freedomforall »

Yes, I am talking about the Zara skirt. It looks very nice. I am not sure why they added pants in the picture. The clerk at the Atlanta store said they are selling as fast as they get them.
andrewsh

Post by andrewsh »

Freedomforall wrote:Yes, I am talking about the Zara skirt. It looks very nice. I am not sure why they added pants in the picture. The clerk at the Atlanta store said they are selling as fast as they get them.
I’ve got this skirt as well, having ordered it with the trousers they recommended — and I’m returning the trousers since that’s not the right style for me. I do like the skirt though.
geron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by geron »

Freedomforall wrote:I ordered one of these today and shall endeavor to report back on the quality and appearnce.
Can you also report on the accuracy of their sizing, please? Looks as though the largest one will offer will be just too small for me, although the wrap design may widen the tolerance a bit.
Freedomforall
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Freedomforall »

geron wrote:
Freedomforall wrote:I ordered one of these today and shall endeavor to report back on the quality and appearnce.
Can you also report on the accuracy of their sizing, please? Looks as though the largest one will offer will be just too small for me, although the wrap design may widen the tolerance a bit.
I wear a 34 inch in the waist. I ordered a large and it was too big. I also ordered a medium and it fits perfectly.
skirtpettiman
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtpettiman »

I ordered one on Monday and received it the next day. Nice quality, decent sized pockets with a satin type nylon lining the same length as the skirt. I ordered the large size but, alas, it was still 4 inches too small (I take a 40" waist kilt size). Although I had to return it hopefully I've added to the awareness of clothes stores that men are interested in wearing skirts!
K_Highlander

Post by K_Highlander »

How long is the Zara wrap skirt? Looking for something longer for winter.
Thanks