Skirt Wearing by Women Increasing?

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Skirt Wearing by Women Increasing?

Post by weeladdie18 »

Well Tom , we are having wind force 6 to gale force 8 in Cornwall, half an inch of rain last night, A couple of good showers today.
More bad weather this week end. Bit colder as well....15 C to 18 C....Plenty of leaves still on the trees and they have not turned colour yet.
Seven hundred years ago Goonhilly forest provided the timber for Mullion Church. The roof timbers have only recently been replaced.
I understand that the Goonhilly System of satellite tracking scanners for the 1960's satellites is now being used as a training station for
space station controllers and the radio systems are still in use.
Much of the area is a wet land moor on a bed of solid rock......There is an old WW1 Airship airfield still being used for fleet Air Arm rescue and
fire training and an early post WW11 Air Station which is now the largest helicopter base in Europe
In 1902 Marconi sent his first Morse Code radio Signal to Canada from Poldu.
Lizard Peninsula is an interesting communication area ,being the most southerly peninsula on the UK Mainland.
It also had a WW11 bomber base , An early defence radar station and a Radio Direction Finding system for tracking
German U Boats surface radio communications off the Channel Islands.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Awww riiight, WL, but what's all that to do with whether skirt wearing among women is increasing?

BTW we had a bit of heavy rain last night and it were a bit on the breezy side but nowt to really talk aboot.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Kilty
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kilty »

Sinned wrote:Awww riiight, WL, but what's all that to do with whether skirt wearing among women is increasing?

BTW we had a bit of heavy rain last night and it were a bit on the breezy side but nowt to really talk aboot.
Perhaps the advantage of wearing a tight pencil skirt so the wind cant bow your hem up... but even better is just staying indoors in foul weather :lol:

Still see many skirted women at work, I guess like us they have the option of trousers too. As nice as kilts and skirts are, they are not the be all and end all... sometimes it's just easier with the two tubes, and that's the choice we have too :roll:
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

kilty, that's what I feel too. I've never wanted to wear dresses/skirts exclusively. Just to add them as an addition to my wardrobe, to wear as and when I decide. Jeans/trousers have their place and I think that I would get bored if all I had was dresses/skirts, as nice as they are to wear.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Daryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Daryl »

Sinned wrote:kilty, that's what I feel too. I've never wanted to wear dresses/skirts exclusively. Just to add them as an addition to my wardrobe, to wear as and when I decide. Jeans/trousers have their place and I think that I would get bored if all I had was dresses/skirts, as nice as they are to wear.
I never wanted to wear them exclusively either. I even had several of my good pants taken in, shortly after I started wearing more than just kilts, thinking at least they would last longer now since I am not wearing them exclusively any more (which is good because they can't be taken in again economically). That was about 4 or 5 years ago, and they are still waiting for me patiently. I have worn pants only when taking my 95 yo mom to church twice a year (I wear them strictly for her social comfort, and one of them is part of a suit she bought me so I like to show her I am still using it), plus very rare other circumstances. I never wear pants because of the weather. Crawling under a car is one of the things that might get me in them.

Basically, I have such a variety of skirts now I really never have a need for pants, and almost consider it a burden when circumstances force me to.
Daryl...
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

I would say that the wearing of skirts by the female increased during the warm summer weather and it is now decreasing.
Today is the first day of Autumn. The early mornings and the evenings are becoming cooler.

Some females always wear skirts to work.....in my bank and in my supermarket ,the female employees have a choice.
Perhaps a personal choice is governed by the temperature of the working environment.

In a previous post I described part of the heritage of the area in which I live . Most summer visitors arrive by car ,at a controlled temperature ,
then they are thrust into the great outdoors . For many females the temperature controls how they dress. The majority dress in the same
style as their male companions.

I find that I wear skirts for my leisure time.....When I am doing jobs at home I usually wear shorts or overalls.
Females may change from skirts to trousers during the day ....just for a change. Perhaps more females wear skirts in a warmer climate.

I do feel that many skirt wearing activities are controlled by the temperature.....or perhaps by the choice of the wearer. ........weeladdie
Kilted_John
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kilted_John »

Nor did I intend to go 99.99999% skirted/dressed. But, like Daryl, I discovered that the desire to wear trousered clothing is much suppressed, so I have one pair of shorts, quite a few skirts, dresses, and a couple Utilikilts. I also have two tartan kilts that I pretty much never wear, since I find I'm able to be more incognito in something non-tartan, even when some people think that whatever I'm wearing is a traditional kilt, therefore they need to make me the center of everyone's attention for some reason. Luckily those somewhat seemingly blind people are rare.

As I start looking for employment over the next couple months, I will probably go back to trousered clothing, just so I'm a little more normal looking. But, when not looking for work (or, once I'm employed, when I'm off the clock), I'll be skirted.

-J
Skirted since 2/2002, kilted 8/2002-8/2011, and dressed since 9/2013...
flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/245gt-turbo
phathack
Member Extraordinaire

Post by phathack »

Well just the other day I saw a woman in a dress in downtown, she stuck out because she was the only woman not in jeans.
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

It is interesting to note that our sightings of the female and our personal thoughts and activities regarding skirt wearing though out the world
do seem to be similar. I do feel this is a healthy way forward for the future of the " Men in Skirts "

The weather here in S.W. UK is settled with a N E wind and day time temperatures rising from 10 C to 20 C and falling back to 15 c in the
evenings. We had over 1.5 inches of rain during the recent blow. No more rain in sight for the near future......High pressure is moving in.

Lovely skirting weather. ...Long may it continue. ..Our trees are now starting to turn colour.
Out in the sun with beautiful autumn patterns on our skirts....................weeladdie
Kilted_John
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kilted_John »

phathack wrote:Well just the other day I saw a woman in a dress in downtown, she stuck out because she was the only woman not in jeans.
Saw one this afternoon as well (well, I guess yesterday afternoon now), while I was driving through downtown Snohomish, Washington.
Skirted since 2/2002, kilted 8/2002-8/2011, and dressed since 9/2013...
flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/245gt-turbo
Charlie
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Charlie »

There was an uptick of women in skirts this last week in Wells, possibly due to the sunny weather albeit with a nip in the air. But one thing I have noticed is the number of men wearing shorts, even though the weather is a bit on the chilly side. A straw poll in Wells market place this morning: women in skirts - 2 (one was the wife), men in skirts - 1 (me!), men in shorts - 3. The rest of the herd was in the standard two-leg denim.
Charlie
If I want to dress like a woman, I'll wear jeans.
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

All this week we've had an 'Indian Summer', with near-frosty mornings, though. I emerge from my indoor workplace commonly at a quarter to five, jump in my car and the temp has been reading 18-19 deg.C. A great many of the girls are in minis or short dresses, a few in long Summer dresses, but fully 30-50% of the men are in shorts still.
A lot of teenage girls not in school uniform are in black leggings and very short minis.

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
Kilty
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kilty »

Charlie wrote:There was an uptick of women in skirts this last week in Wells, possibly due to the sunny weather albeit with a nip in the air. But one thing I have noticed is the number of men wearing shorts, even though the weather is a bit on the chilly side. A straw poll in Wells market place this morning: women in skirts - 2 (one was the wife), men in skirts - 1 (me!), men in shorts - 3. The rest of the herd was in the standard two-leg denim.
Charlie
Also bear in mind weekends where the majority of women (and men) are not working (sometimes may be expected to wear a skirt for work) so this could be why there's more jeans sightings. Even amongst formal trousers, the formal pencil skirts may not be thrown on (Save them for work!) so women go for easy to manage jeans (also saves dealing with tights) where one can just wear socks... :roll:
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

kilty wrote:
Charlie wrote:There was an uptick of women in skirts this last week in Wells, possibly due to the sunny weather albeit with a nip in the air. But one thing I have noticed is the number of men wearing shorts, even though the weather is a bit on the chilly side. A straw poll in Wells market place this morning: women in skirts - 2 (one was the wife), men in skirts - 1 (me!), men in shorts - 3. The rest of the herd was in the standard two-leg denim.
Charlie
Also bear in mind weekends where the majority of women (and men) are not working (sometimes may be expected to wear a skirt for work) so this could be why there's more jeans sightings. Even amongst formal trousers, the formal pencil skirts may not be thrown on (Save them for work!) so women go for easy to manage jeans (also saves dealing with tights) where one can just wear socks... :roll:
I also live in an area of International Tourism in the U.K. ......I would agree with the straw poll. ......Perhaps the female who wears a skirt
to work does wear jeans , just for a change , at the weekend.
I wear trousers when I am " working " and change into a skirt when I am not " working ".......................weeladdie
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Today in a grocery store.

Post by Grok »

Noticed a young woman wearing a short dress with tights and boots. It was relatively mild for an autumn day in Seattle, but it occurred to me that this might be the sort of rig we might see more of. A rig that a woman might wear during Spring or Autumn.