Where had you been without the café or internet?

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
robert
Distinguished Member

Where had you been without the café or internet?

Post by robert »

Since I was four or five years old I have always wanted to wear skirts or dresses. It was always a huge secret I kept away from everybody. I learned about transvestites a few times in the media. When the internet arrived I could finally learn that other men dressed in women’s clothes, but they always tried to look like women. I never heard about men wearing skirts or dresses and still wanted to remain and look like men.

Before Internet I was outside in my skirts a few times, but as I wanted to go out more I thought I had to wear makeup and a Wig. I did this for several years, and thought it would look so strange if I just went out in a skirt.

Eventually I read about men wanting to wear just skirts, and I finally found the café. Eventually I began to go out in skirts and finally I felt I was being true to myself. To be honest I do believe I would have ended outside in just skirts without the internet of the café, but I think it would be much later in life.

I have got a lot of inspiration here at the café to expand areas to go while skirted. Reading about what you all do tell me what is possible to achieve and it gives me new goals to reach for. I know the pace of my development would be much slower.

Where would you have been without the internet, and what goals have you reached because of the internet?
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Where had you been without the café or internet?

Post by moonshadow »

I discovered that a man can wear a skirt while I was unplugged for a few years. (No TV, no internet, nothing) I witnessed some Appalachian Trail through hikers wearing them. Granted, I've had the curiosity off and on years before that.

I do admit I sought the internet for my own personal justification. This site came up pretty quickly in a search, and the rest is, as they say: history.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

I developed the propensity for wearing skirts 4 or 5 years ago after a New Year's Eve party and Freddie Mercury dress up and yes, I did think that you had to go all the way [0] and appear like a woman with makeup, hair and so on. But that just didn't seem to be me. I liked the clothes but makeup, phew, you could keep it! I just couldn't be bothered and my being blind in one eye presented problems applying eye makeup anyway. So I gave that up after a very, very brief short time. I browsed [1] men wearing skirts and came across this site which gave clarity and perspective to my sense of style. The rest is history. Because the site comes up in the display of frequently visited sites MOH has made comment about it but ASAIK she has never taken the time to look at the site and the things I have written and your responses to them. Maybe one day she will and I wouldn't stop her because, although I have commented on her attitudes and rants sometimes, I believe that I have not written anything that I would be afraid for her to read.

[0] So did my wife and she was supportive for a time although it never occurred to either of us about going out of the house dressed like that. She has not mentioned it since and is probably relieved that I did not pursue that avenue.
[1] I initially use the word "researched" but on second thoughts that would appear more structured than it was. I googled a time or two phrases such as "men wearing skirts" or "men in skirts". I didn't know what I was looking for and on finding this site I knew that I was home. Although we have the occasional spat you all seem more like friends than any of the people in meatspace ( MOH and family excepted ).
Last edited by Sinned on Tue Sep 04, 2018 6:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

I always had a liking for women's clothes - material, pattern, style and often tried MOH's clothes on when she was out and I knew that she would be out for a while as I didn't want to be discovered. I developed the propensity for wearing skirts 4 or 5 years [2] ago after a New Year's Eve party and Freddie Mercury dress up and yes, I did think that you had to go all the way [0] and appear like a woman with makeup, hair and so on. But that just didn't seem to be me. I liked the clothes but makeup, phew, you could keep it! I just couldn't be bothered and my being blind in one eye presented problems applying eye makeup anyway. So I gave that up after a very, very brief short time. I browsed [1] men wearing skirts and came across this site which gave clarity and perspective to my sense of style. The rest is history. Because the site comes up in the display of frequently visited sites MOH has made comment about it but ASAIK she has never taken the time to look at the site and the things I have written and your responses to them. Maybe one day she will and I wouldn't stop her because, although I have commented on her attitudes and rants sometimes, I believe that I have not written anything that I would be afraid for her to read.

[0] So did my wife and she was supportive for a time although it never occurred to either of us about going out of the house dressed like that. She has not mentioned it since and is probably relieved that I did not pursue that avenue.
[1] I initially use the word "researched" but on second thoughts that would appear more structured than it was. I googled a time or two phrases such as "men wearing skirts" or "men in skirts". I didn't know what I was looking for and on finding this site I knew that I was home. Although we have the occasional spat you all seem more like friends than any of the people in meatspace ( MOH and family excepted ).
[2] Yikes, just seen my joining date and that was August 2012. That's 6 years ago. I just didn't realise that it has been that long. Must mention it, in passing, to MOH.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Gregg1100
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Gregg1100 »

Internet has certainly helped a lot of people in one way or other.

Just checked my joining date of Skirt Cafe. 13 May 2006. Seems to be as long as the Archers, lol.
eightofnine

Post by eightofnine »

When i was 18 i think i used to work in a store and on my lunch break i would go to charity shops and buy skirts .At the time i thought this was something to kept hidden i didn't have the internet at the time .So i would hide my skirts under my bed and wait till my parents would go out so i could wear them ,sometimes i would go out after dark and walk around the block . Then when i got the internet i googled it and it came up a few forums and i realized there were other like minded people .
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

Just had another Computer Crash..........Perhaps the interesting point from the internet is that Men in Skirts exist all over the World , but possibly not as a group in our
own town......no as popular as the T.V. groups......but may have grown as a spin off from the t.v. World.....as TV. comms were by post and telephone
......weeladdie18
Last edited by Uncle Al on Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: cleaned up blank space
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

I think your return key is sticking.....
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

Thanks for the comment Moon.......there are intermittent problems with my windows 8.1.....If and when the whole system crashes
I will upgrade to windows 10 .....

With regard to the title of this thread ; ...without the friendship of the café I feel that many of us would be struggling in the darkness
of our own rooms, ....It does seem that we as a style of " men in skirts " are unlikely to see more than one other "man in a skirt "
in a year. ..............

There does not appear to be any significant reason why we all got it into our heads that we would be much happier if we returned
to the historical style of wearing skirts. .....................

The male youth was traditionally forced out of his infant dresses and breached for school, work and war................weeladdie
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

Here is one for the computer wizards...the September posts for this thread do not show an edit icon for this thread
The October threads do show the icon on this thread.............which link in the system is malfunctioning ?
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

Probably I would be still skulking around home in a skirt, asking who was at the door before answering it. Seeing and reading about men wearing skirts in public without abuse or rotten tomatoes hurled at them gives one a bit of confidence to venture out. Then one discovers for themselves that people generally don't notice or don't care.
Other than through the internet, I haven't come across one other man interested in wearing a skirt and still haven't seen one in real life .................. so it would be a lonely road of breaking with convention otherwise.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

denimini wrote:Probably I would be still skulking around home in a skirt, asking who was at the door before answering it. Seeing and reading about men wearing skirts in public without abuse or rotten tomatoes hurled at them gives one a bit of confidence to venture out. Then one discovers for themselves that people generally don't notice or don't care.
Though I had already been out in public a couple of times prior to joining the cafe, I don't think my overall advancement would have been as quick, and I dare say, I might have eventually let the practice go. The site has also helped my wife with understanding the issue as well.

As for the internet itself, well that's a more loaded question. The internet has been a hell of a tool, and has basically transformed the world in which we live. Sometimes I ponder what will come after the internet? Can it even have an end at this point? Granted, the internet isn't what it was in the early to mid 90's. But the core function of it remains the same: to transfer data.

It's amazing what can be accomplished, and the amount of human satisfaction (and time killed) that is gained from the simple process of moving data round the globe. Indeed, nations have fallen, and the old saying "the pen is mightier than the sword" may have to be amended to "the keyboard is mightier than the nuke". Having the ability to check and reconcile a bank ledger at any time, day or night, and having transactions updated at practically the very moment you swipe your card is neat. Gone are the old days of floating checks, enter the days of the "cash advance". Paying bills online is nice, and though Amazon is now regarded as more evil than Walmart ever was, still yet, where would we be without the service? Even today, Amazon is my choice site when seeking hard to find books. Remember when Amazon was basically just an online book seller?

As I get older, I'm finding that I'm following my the foot steps of those who came before me, I get nostalgic about the culture of my youth. Car phones that only the most wealthy in town could afford, having to add a second phone line because the computer was tying up the main. Picking up phone in the house and making noises it in to knock your sibling off line... :twisted: Buying computer games that didn't require a paid subscription. Oh, and my favorite: Spending time with loved ones, and actually enjoying the visit without watching everyone thub their phones while you stare at the decorations on the wall in silence.

Sometimes, at least a couple times per week, I "check out" of technology. I may go to a park, or a roadside table, or just a walk through town, and I find that I'm basically all alone in a sea of humans.

Perhaps that's why we can do what we do (wear skirts) so easily. Most people don't even bother to look up from their phones anymore! When they do, they snap their picture of "the weird guy in a skirt", post it to whatever, and move on about their day.
-Andrea
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

robert wrote:...Where would you have been without the internet, and what goals have you reached because of the internet?
Professionally, no clue. In about 1995 I became an early adopter of the Web, led my employer into business use of an intranet, and created a public "resources" Web site that gained an international following. That Web site lead to the start of my professional authoring, which culminated in 13 internet-related books, of which 12 were for Microsoft Press. I've now been designing and creating Web-based business systems for some 20 years. Had there been no Internet I'm sure I'd have done some other type of programming , probably IBM-mainframe or PC, which I actually did some of, but it's hard to say for sure.

Before I found Skirt Cafe, my adventures before I found it consisted of wearing some of my wife's clothes a couple of times for 10-15 minutes when nobody was home, and on rare occasions wearing tights instead of socks under my pants.

Now, after finding Skirt Cafe, I wear skirts and utility kiits about 99% of my waking hours.

So yes, the Internet can certainly be life changing.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron