Celebrity Big Brother..

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
crfriend
Master Barista

Re: Celebrity Big Brother..

Post by crfriend »

geron wrote:Women of normal build have a larger hips-to-waist ratio than men, and thus a skirt which fits a man's waist could be disappointingly flappy around the hips.
One of the joys of skirts is that they're much more forgiving in that regard than trousers. When selecting a skirt, I tend not to go after the waist measurement but rather the hip measurement as the determinant. I've had extraordinarily bad luck selecting by waist size which tends to run 1 or more "sizes" up from optimal. The waist charts say I should be a 16, but a 16 can fall off me and 14s fit great. Viz my comments about "black arts".
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

geron, it may have been true in the past that a woman's hip measurement was greater than the waist [0] but as women have put on weight there are many women where the reverse is true so skirts for the larger woman should fit the larger man. I don't wear pencil skirts although many of you do so I can't comment on the fit of those but you don't seem to complain about fit. Most of my skirts are of the variety where the hem has a greater diameter than the waist and I find little problem with fit [1].

[0] Of course the more conventionally sized women would have waist < hip, but again for size 0 or negative sizes ( do they exist? and if not how long will before they do ) this may not be true again.
[1] I have skirts sized from 8 to 24, the extremes being donated and I can wear them all, the smaller ones being generous with the elastane, and some need a belt to stop gravity taking precedence.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Sinned wrote:It may have been true in the past that a woman's hip measurement was greater than the waist [0] but as women have put on weight there are many women where the reverse is true so skirts for the larger woman should fit the larger man.
There's that facet, then there's also the trend where women are trying to get so "physically fit" that there's not an ounce of fat on them and they resemble teenage boys; skirts marketed to this demographic can also work quite well on guys, or at least small guys.
[0] Of course the more conventionally sized women would have waist < hip, but again for size 0 or negative sizes ( do they exist? and if not how long will before they do ) this may not be true again.
I do not believe there is such a thing as "negative sizes", but I think I can safely assume that the marketers are going to have to do something like that when size 0 is considered obese. Of course, by that time, those women will have long ceased breeding because all that shuts down at modern levels of "fitness".
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Carl, I was being mildly humorous and provocative. Of course there aren't negative sizes .... yet. But as you say the fashionistas and marketing may start the trend. Of course they may just as well redefine size zero downwards [0] and try to convince certain women to attain it. Of course us men, not being driven by such ideals, and more content to just be a little smaller or maintain our status quo weight wise won't fall for such seductions.

[0] I believe they have probably done so more than once.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.