The Driving Kilt or Driving Skirt

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Re: The Driving Kilt or Driving Skirt

Post by weeladdie18 »

The Skater Skirt Design
Anyone into the geometry of skirt design ? Make a skirt with hem to top of the Kneecap....traditional Kilt height, and hem to match
8 yard hem length on a kilt....is this feasible ...Length without an apron would possibly be 7.5 yards or 22.5 feet

This would certainly be an interesting driving skirt......weeladdie
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

weeladdie18 wrote:I am not sure of correct shape of a fashion garment known as a skater skirt
Technically they're either short A-line designs or occasionally short circle skirts. Most are the former.

A true "circle skirt" will lie flat on the floor when fully extended and look like a round tablecloth with a hole in the centre where the human goes. A-line skirts will bunch up un the floor anc can't be laid out perfectly flat. The shape and flare of an A-line is determined by the shape of the gores that make it up.

It would be possible to make a true skirt with a kilt-magnitude amount of fabric, but the thing would be ponderous at best, heavy, and difficult to control. The pleats in the kilt are there for a reason, and it's not just style; they make the garment wearable.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Mark as in Mark
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Mark as in Mark »

So....
I get up, shower and shave. Get dressed wearing the skirt I will wear at the office.....eat breakfast and then brush the my teeth.
Before I get in my car, I need to change from my office skirt to a "driving skirt" because a normal office skirt is just not suited for driving....
Then when I get to the office, change back into my office skirt.....???????

This would be similar to having to change into a "race" driver's suit, Nomex and all, just to drive.

You keep work on the driving skirt idea, and I'll work on a pair of 4" heels suitable to heel-toe braking.... :D
Women Worn Bullet Bra in the 1940s and 1950s (28).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Mark as in Mark on Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
I was told I have balls for wearing skirts! My reply? "That's because balls this big won't fit in pants!"

https://www.pinterest.de/Mark_as_in_Mark/me/
https://www.instagram.com/markbryan911/
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

Thank you Carl for your fine descriptive post.....I drove to another town in one of my old eighties style fashionable sarong skirts.
This was one of my charity shop skirt hunts. I bought a pinstripe below the knee pencil skirt....I walked up to the counter wearing the skirt and walked out onto the street.
I then went into another shop and bagged another prize ...a below the knee light weight full summer skirt.
I walked up to the counter wearing this Skirt....The assistant looked at me rather oddly and said : " Are you going to buy that skirt ? "
" Yes please " I replied... " This is a delightfully cool skirt to wear on a warm afternoon "

I walked out of the shop in my new to me Summer Skirt and drove to a supermarket café nearer home for an evening meal.

I drove to another supermarket Café for breakfast ...The ladies fashion isle is right opposite the take away sandwich bar.
Boxed sandwiches are handy. Keep them in your fridge for a couple of days and eat before the expiry date.

A must have on a maniquin caught my eye. Described as a grey lurex pencil skirt with a red check stripe. Looked from a distance like an
unpleated middle of the kneecap Kilt. Tried the garment on and wore it to my car.....the stretchy fabric rode up over top of my kneecaps
whilst I was walking with a long male stride ..... Whilst I was driving the hem was probably four inches above my sun tanned kneecaps.

When I got out of my car the hem dropped to middle of the Kneecap.

Three skirts suitable for walking and driving purchased within 24 Hours .....total cost less than 26 pounds ...£26.
If anyone asked " Why are you wearing a skirt ? " the reply would be " I wear my Gentlemans Driving Skirt as it deleightfully cool and comfortable
to wear." ....Perhaps I should admit that the Gentleman ' s Driving Skirt has just been born .......weeladdie
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

Mark as in Mark wrote:So....
I get up, shower and shave. Get dressed wearing the skirt I will wear at the office.....eat breakfast and then brush the my teeth.
Before I get in my car, I need to change from my office skirt to a "driving skirt" because a normal office skirt is just not suited for driving....
Then when I get to the office, change back into my office skirt.....???????

This would be similar to having to change into a "race" driver's suit, Nomex and all, just to drive.

You keep work on the driving skirt idea, and I'll work on a pair of 4" heels suitable to heel-toe shifting.... :D
Women Worn Bullet Bra in the 1940s and 1950s (28).jpg
Women Worn Bullet Bra in the 1940s and 1950s

Probably to match the bumper cones of that late model -
Trains had cow catchers on the front -
some cars of that vintage had bumpers to repel all invaders foreign and domestic -
I think it was Cadillac that had the largest bullet proof grills - LINK:

https://images.search.yahoo.com/yhs/sea ... tion=click
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
hairy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by hairy »

Jim wrote:For those of us skirtonians who are also nudists, a quick-fasten wrap-around design would be optimal. One could drive with it unwrapped then close over one's lap and fasten in a couple seconds.
I too am a naturist and feel the need for freedom and something easy to remove at the right time and place, so I find a normal slip on skirt does the job just right. No fancy belts, no buckles to do up, just an elasticated waist circle skirt is for me, pure and simple.
hairy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by hairy »

weeladdie18 wrote:The Skater Skirt Design
Anyone into the geometry of skirt design ? Make a skirt with hem to top of the Kneecap....traditional Kilt height, and hem to match
8 yard hem length on a kilt....is this feasible ...Length without an apron would possibly be 7.5 yards or 22.5 feet

This would certainly be an interesting driving skirt......weeladdie
I hate the 24inch length of kilts, far too long on me.
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

The Velcro closing would work in you favor here and the same for the gym skirt with the sliding latch closing.

The Velcro closing is common on the SportKilt kilts

For the gym skirt aka net ball lacrosse skirt image:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by oldsalt1 »

Quiz of the day There are 2 things in the photo that show the car she is in, was customized and not a straight production model. , what are they and no her chest doesn't count.
hairy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by hairy »

r.m.anderson wrote:The Velcro closing would work in you favor here and the same for the gym skirt with the sliding latch closing.

The Velcro closing is common on the SportKilt kilts

For the gym skirt aka net ball lacrosse skirt image:
I do have several of those gym skirts but a little on the short side when walking around towns so wear my skirts a couple of inches longer when out. The skirts I wear when at home or working in garden are no more than belts really, but am able to answer door to postman in them without a worry. Being a naturist often gives people like the postman a bit of an eyeball. Most of the time in summer I spend days without clothes, but that's for another forum.
Wearing skirts is the closest I can get for the feeling of freedom and still be covered.
Mark as in Mark
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Mark as in Mark »

oldsalt1 wrote:Quiz of the day There are 2 things in the photo that show the car she is in, was customized and not a straight production model. , what are they and no her chest doesn't count.
Seat belts (not sure if she can see the belts :D )
Front wheel drive (no transmission hump)
Rear view mirror (not sure when it was introduced)
Sun visor (dito)
I was told I have balls for wearing skirts! My reply? "That's because balls this big won't fit in pants!"

https://www.pinterest.de/Mark_as_in_Mark/me/
https://www.instagram.com/markbryan911/
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

oldsalt1 wrote:Quiz of the day There are 2 things in the photo that show the car she is in, was customized and not a straight production model. , what are they and no her chest doesn't count.
1. Roll bar behind the front seat.
2. The upholstery is not standard for that model.
Well those are my two guesses for the day. :lol:
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

"Roll Bar" behind the seat.
Some kind of speaker assembly where the Sun Visor
should've been. This is a "3 on the Tree" and I can
clearly see the drive shaft 'hump' in the floor, as well
as the clutch, brake & accelerator pedals.
For this 'vintage', seat belts were 'Non-Standard' items.
I'ld guess this car was "Souped-Up" for a street racer.

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire
Location: 65 year The Hague, The Netherlands, then Allentown, PA, USA

Post by beachlion »

The two things to my motor biking eyes are the roll bar and seat belts.

When I had my driving lessons in 1966, there were no seat belts standard in Dutch cars. Around 10 years later they were installed in new cars but I had trouble remembering to put the belts on. When a friend went with her face through the windshield and her scars looked more like a streetmap of an old city, I had no longer problems to remember.
All progress takes place outside the comfort zone - M J Bobak
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

beachlion wrote:When I had my driving lessons in 1966, there were no seat belts standard in Dutch cars. Around 10 years later they were installed in new cars but I had trouble remembering to put the belts on.
My father went to the trouble of having seat-belts installed on the various cars he bought through the 1960s, and by the time I started driving, they were mandated by law in the USA. Too many people didn't use them, though, with predictable results.
When a friend went with her face through the windshield and her scars looked more like a streetmap of an old city, I had no longer problems to remember.
In 1982 I was involved in a 45-degree head-on when a larger car unexpectedly (no turn-signals or the like) took a left directly in front of me and in spite of heavy evasive manoeuvring on my part slammed into the driver's side front quarter with enough force to put a nasty crease in the roof of my car. I was wearing a 3-point shoulder harness, which was a good thing else I'd not have survived the event. My passenger was unrestrained and upon impact physics took over and he shot diagonally across me, hitting me in the head hard enough to knock me out cold, and blowing his femur apart from the impact with the floor-mounted shift. I was ambulatory by the time that the cops showed up, but they realised that "something wasn't right" with me and the two of us got taken off to the hospital. I had what seemed like the mother of all concussions (this was before a concussion protocol was even considered) and it took me weeks to fully recover. My passenger took even longer to recover, blamed me for the event, and sued me. The other driver got cited for excessive speed and failure to use caution at an intersection. My car was totalled and way beyond repair, never mind economical repair.

The takeaway from that event is that from that day on, everybody in my family wears seat-belts now (where they were laissez-faire about it earlier), and I refuse to let off the parking-brake if someone in my car isn't strapped in. Life, as they say, is short -- and subject to surprises.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!