advice

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
eightofnine

Re: advice

Post by eightofnine »

that is what i was wearing last time i met him in town .As for the dress code its relaxed ,apart from not wearing swimming clothes inside or bare feet its ok.I wear a suit on formal nights and there are some in the main dining room that wear casual attire.the last cruise i was on for dinner i would always wear jeans because i thought i would get told to get changed one night i chanced it and worse a skirt nothing happened .
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

I think that a general discussion about what BOTH of you will be wearing would be in order and that should lead into a discussion of skirts. I think that you owe it to your friend to give him the opportunity that he may be too shy to raise himself. It's all about consideration and respect. What you wore last time could be confused as shorts especially with the jumper worn on your waist so he may not have noticed.

And sorry, 7/8, but I hate the adding of "man" to things like mandate or mancation. It's a date and a vacation. There's just no need.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
eightofnine

Post by eightofnine »

Sinned wrote:I think that a general discussion about what BOTH of you will be wearing would be in order and that should lead into a discussion of skirts. I think that you owe it to your friend to give him the opportunity that he may be too shy to raise himself. It's all about consideration and respect. What you wore last time could be confused as shorts especially with the jumper worn on your waist so he may not have noticed.

And sorry, 7/8, but I hate the adding of "man" to things like mandate or mancation. It's a date and a vacation. There's just no need.
good advice i think i will go to town to see a movie followed by a meal and we can talk about it privately ,there isn't but i like to tease him about it ordinarily i wouldn't use that kind of language .
Mike
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Mike »

Wear what you want, you're on vacation, it's your time, not anybody else's. It's just clothes.
Mike

Who the hell is 'society' anyway?
Kilty
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kilty »

eightofnine wrote:Image

that is what i was wearing last time i met him in town .As for the dress code its relaxed ,apart from not wearing swimming clothes inside or bare feet its ok.I wear a suit on formal nights and there are some in the main dining room that wear casual attire.the last cruise i was on for dinner i would always wear jeans because i thought i would get told to get changed one night i chanced it and worse a skirt nothing happened .
Nothing ever does happen, our minds convince us something will. I'm glad your friend has no issue with the skirts, I would wear something a but more dressy and a little longer when you go out for dinner with him, Royal Blue is a great skirt colour, and
tumblr_n3aqemM1a61sonscpo1_640.jpg
with the right ensemble, looks great! Lots of nice royal blue pencil skirts on ebay right now. I've spent way too much on skirts this month, been sorting out an Autumn wardrobe so have been stocking (excuse the pun) up on necessary items like tights before the cold weather hits :wink:

Although some people may dress very casual on the cruise ship, it's good to make an effort, so pack a couple of formal skirts as well 8) I have more formal stuff than casual, and only now am I buying jeans skirts. I rarely buy anything short, but could be tempted by something
tumblr_oqxb4mXyQ01uhwwaio1_500.jpg
like this before the summer's out.

You could always take me on the cruise for Plan B if he is unsure :wink: :mrgreen:
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

eightofnine wrote:...when i was buying a skirt in work the other day he seamed surprised i was buying one and asked if was for my mother and when i told him it was for me he said ok...
That's very positive. So just wear a skirt (that one, if possible) the next time you see each other and see how he reacts. Don't ask permission, just watch his reaction.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by oldsalt1 »

To eightofnine have you made any decisions as to your cruise wear.

I am going on a cruise next march. I am going with a very good friend of mine we are both single and in our 70's

He doesn't object to my wearing skirts but I can see that he is uneasy with it. I can understand his concern. Two men traveling together sharing a state room , one of them wearing skirts.

By the way the cruise is a Zumba cruise. The entire ship will be filled with Zumba enthusiasts He went on the cruise 2 years ago . He said there were about 4000 women and 300 men .

You can draw your own conclusions from that :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: but I guess I can understand his concern about possibly being considered gay.

I am hoping that when we get on the ship they are selling zumba clothing, and if they have a zumba skirt I can buy it as sort of a joke , and get to wear it on the ship
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by oldsalt1 »

Wait a minute I may have found a solution . Of course I am built much better than this guy :roll: :roll: :roll: but its an idea
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
lazerr
Member Extraordinaire

Post by lazerr »

This situation is a bit odd to me. You don't know him well enough that you wearing a skirt hasn't come up, but you are going on a cruise together. The one in the picture isn't that extreme, so I suggest you at least wear that next time you meet. I also have used the coat around the waist to obscure the skirt, but I can't see it fooling anyone that is looking at you directly (your friend for instance). My guess is he won't have a problem with it if it isn't too spirited. I would broach the subject somehow before the cruise, but maybe indirectly, as others have suggested.

Wearing a skirt to the buffet, or night club probably won't get any problems, or at least no more than on land. Going out to dinner, I think you can wear something that is more of an ensemble, of course the sy is the limit when going fancy.

Believe me, negotiating this with a casual friend is a lot easier than getting a spouse to go out with you skirted!(which many have done)

If you are looking for women on the trip I think the skirted look might be a great icebreaker (you probably will stand out at the night club scene.) It's all in how you carry yourself, confidence is everything! I doubt anyone will think you are gay if you are not, and those that do, who cares!
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by oldsalt1 »

The skirted pictures are not me they are eightofnine who is the originator of this blog.

If I was traveling on my own wearing a skirt wouldn't be a problem .

Maybe its some latent homophobia rearing its head but even though I wear skirts if I saw two men traveling together and one was in skirts I would think of them as a couple
Kilty
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kilty »

lazerr wrote:This situation is a bit odd to me. You don't know him well enough that you wearing a skirt hasn't come up, but you are going on a cruise together. The one in the picture isn't that extreme, so I suggest you at least wear that next time you meet. I also have used the coat around the waist to obscure the skirt, but I can't see it fooling anyone that is looking at you directly (your friend for instance). My guess is he won't have a problem with it if it isn't too spirited. I would broach the subject somehow before the cruise, but maybe indirectly, as others have suggested.

Wearing a skirt to the buffet, or night club probably won't get any problems, or at least no more than on land. Going out to dinner, I think you can wear something that is more of an ensemble, of course the sy is the limit when going fancy.

Believe me, negotiating this with a casual friend is a lot easier than getting a spouse to go out with you skirted!(which many have done)

If you are looking for women on the trip I think the skirted look might be a great icebreaker (you probably will stand out at the night club scene.) It's all in how you carry yourself, confidence is everything! I doubt anyone will think you are gay if you are not, and those that do, who cares!
8/9 if you are still meeting up for dinner, just wear a workwear pencil
20181022_163344.jpg
and boots (I had no tights on in this pic), they are good as knee length, very comfy and can be dressed up or down. Warehouse and Zara have some gorgeous midi (just below knee) which is right on trend! The Zara one is a brown Houndstooth
9479262708_9_2_1.jpg
9479262708_2_4_1.jpg
which would look good with a brown shirt or jumper :ugeek:

Just wear it without any jumper around your waist! It'll be fine if you are confident... let us know how things are going as well, mate :wink:
eightofnine

Post by eightofnine »

lazerr wrote:This situation is a bit odd to me. You don't know him well enough that you wearing a skirt hasn't come up, but you are going on a cruise together. The one in the picture isn't that extreme, so I suggest you at least wear that next time you meet. I also have used the coat around the waist to obscure the skirt, but I can't see it fooling anyone that is looking at you directly (your friend for instance). My guess is he won't have a problem with it if it isn't too spirited. I would broach the subject somehow before the cruise, but maybe indirectly, as others have suggested.

We are work colleagues most of the time he sees me i'm wearing pants .We sometimes go out to watch a movie i have wore a skirt when with him but i haven't made it obvious .
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

lazerr wrote:This situation is a bit odd to me. You don't know him well enough that you wearing a skirt hasn't come up, but you are going on a cruise together...
That's been bothering me as well. Has he seen you in a skirt? And if so, how did he react?
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

eightofnine wrote:
...i have wore a skirt when with him but i haven't made it obvious .
You wore a skirt he couldn't see?

How do you even do that?

So next time you see him, wear a skirt he can see. If it helps, here's a two-step process:
1. Put on a skirt.
2. Let him see it.

caultron
eightofnine

Post by eightofnine »

I had a talk with Lee today ,I asked him if it mattered what i wore. He said no you can wear what you like he said he didnt care if i was naked.I then told him about recent events i uploaded a photo of me wearing a skirt on facebook so family have been talking about it to my parents rather than me .I showed lee the photo he didnt see a problem with it .So happy days