Can't buy a skirt

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
floatingmetal

Can't buy a skirt

Post by floatingmetal »

I mean that literally - a check round the notionally women's section of the local Tesco revealed bifuricated garments aplenty, a few dresses of the summer beach cover-up variety and no skirts at all. Not even just not in my size. Nor a space where they should have been.

OK it's not like I have a shortage of skirts that I in any way need another but that is in no way the point. There's always room for another.
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Can't buy a skirt

Post by skirtyscot »

Have you tried Sainsbury's? I had to stop off for a couple of things on the way home today, and I wandered up to the clothes department where they had plenty of skirts. Tried a couple on but they weren't quite right so no sale.

Did the same thing one day last week too, and ended up with a floral skirt which I am pleased with, though it remains to be seen what H thinks of it.
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pelmut »

Try the charity shops, they usually have a good selection.
There is no such thing as a normal person, only someone you don't know very well yet.
Kilty
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kilty »

floatingmetal wrote:I mean that literally - a check round the notionally women's section of the local Tesco revealed bifuricated garments aplenty, a few dresses of the summer beach cover-up variety and no skirts at all. Not even just not in my size. Nor a space where they should have been.

OK it's not like I have a shortage of skirts that I in any way need another but that is in no way the point. There's always room for another.
You have to head out of town... Dagenham Asda has tons of skirts, as well as Matalan. Most girls just find trousers easier, as they can sit how they like, when you wear a skirt there's the dealing with exposure crossing your legs or being upskirted... despite the fact this is perfect skirt weather I see the majority in shorts. :blue:
hairy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by hairy »

This is a subject that I've banged on about several times here on SC. I live in a large town where there are lots of young girls who should surely want skirts in the summer but there's just none in the shops, so like most things I HAVE to turn to the internet. They say internet is killing the shops, that's so wrong, the shops are not supplying the goods.

I've tried all the shops and that includes Asda, Sainsbury's etc, as well as the girlie shops but there's just nothing. I buy from internet now, its the ONLY place.
floatingmetal

Post by floatingmetal »

I think Hairy has it closest. I know lots of places I can go for clothes, shops and online. What I found interesting was that a complete class of garment was missing.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

floatingmetal wrote:I mean that literally - a check round the notionally women's section of the local Tesco revealed bifuricated garments aplenty, a few dresses of the summer beach cover-up variety and no skirts at all. Not even just not in my size. Nor a space where they should have been....
One word: Amazon.

Don't worry if it doesn't fit or you don't like it. Free returns, including shipping.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
geron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by geron »

Caultron wrote: One word: Amazon.

Don't worry if it doesn't fit or you don't like it. Free returns, including shipping.
Well, yes -- but I've been scanning amazon.co.uk (and ebay.co.uk too) for some months to find a plain denim knee-length skirt in my size, and I found that all the likely candidates, including Amazon's own brand and Marketplace traders, had huge gaps in their ranges and only extreme sizes and versions with sequins remained in stock.

Despairingly I left a notify-me request on the website of one of them (icecoolfashion) -- and finally I got my notification last Saturday. Very pleased with the one they've sent, though the metal fastening stud at the waist immediately came apart and I had to superglue it ;-)
skirtpettiman
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtpettiman »

Apart from a couple of denim skirts from MIDAS purchased 12 years ago and denim pencil skirt and slips from BHS a few years ago all my other skirt / kilt / slip / petticoat purchases have been from Amazon.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

Being in the PLUS Size I have found that Woman Within, and the Fullbeauty line of stores offer plenty of skirts. They have both on line and brick and mortar stores mostly in malls. I have found that the quality of the clothing is very good as well. So I buy mostly from them. Easy returns too, and lots of sales to save money with. :lol:
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

geron wrote:Well, yes -- but I've been scanning amazon.co.uk (and ebay.co.uk too) for some months to find a plain denim knee-length skirt in my size, and I found that all the likely candidates, including Amazon's own brand and Marketplace traders, had huge gaps in their ranges and only extreme sizes and versions with sequins remained in stock...
Yes, that can happen.

You specify Clothing, Shoes & Jewelry. Women, and search for "skirt" and you get over 50,000 matches. And yet, when you have a specific style, color, fabric, length, size and price limit in mind, you can still come up empty.

And I'm no tailor or seamstress.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
JRMILLER
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JRMILLER »

Found and bought this one recently. Very nice fabric, good fit and I think it works for a guy...

https://www.fullbeauty.com/clothing/Sli ... =24&Splt=0
-John

You see, ya can't please everyone, so ya got to please yourself (Rick Nelson "Garden Party")
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jim »

JRMILLER wrote:Found and bought this one recently. Very nice fabric, good fit and I think it works for a guy...
It says 40" length, comes to the ankle. For me, that would drag on the floor a whole lot. Don't they know people have different length legs?
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

Jim wrote:
JRMILLER wrote:Found and bought this one recently. Very nice fabric, good fit and I think it works for a guy...
It says 40' length, comes to the ankle. For me, that would drag on the floor a whole lot. Don't they know people have different length legs?
That being the case where is the - focal point - fulcrum - center of gravity - point of origin for the measurement ?

Is it the Empire Waist - the Navel/Kilt Waist - the I wish it were me Waist - Actual Waist - Low Waist - Hip Waist - Hanging by a thread Waist ?
The all important factor is to have the waist smaller than the hips so the London Skirted wear doesn't fall down.
That failing one is going to need an elastic band waist or other reducing method to secure the skirt to the not quite so "A" frame.

So do you want to show just a peek of ankle flesh or do the whole enchilada New York Rockettes ala legs ending in the stratosphere !

What's in your closet ? - What is your preferred hem length ?
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jim »

r.m.anderson wrote: What's in your closet ? - What is your preferred hem length ?
For me 12" is about right, sitting on the top of my hip bone and ending about an inch above the kneecap standing (which is about 4" above the kneecap sitting).