how short can you go in skirts

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Kilty
Member Extraordinaire

Re: how short can you go in skirts

Post by Kilty »

weeladdie18 wrote:Kilty Were you talking about tartan pencil skirts ? ...I was wearing my tartan below the knee pencil skirt in the cooler weather today.....as usual very comfortable and warm ....worn with no comment from
Joe Public
I have a few tartan pencils which helped make the transition from kilt to skirt - from the ubiquitous Black Watch (St Michael - M&S vintage brand) in a demure 27 inch, to tweed pencil skirts... even in a kilt, people still call it a skirt but mostly no reactions. I was in a Burberry / Camel Thompson tartan knee length today with quite a revealing rear vent but a couple of lace half slips kept me warm and decent, along with white tights for a change.
images.jpg
This is the skirt suit I have ordered, with a size 16 jacket, but size 10 skirt for work. Wore a denim pencil to my first dress down Friday, but did ask first :wink:
Happy-N-Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Happy-N-Skirts »

I am 5-'8" at 195 lbs. and I like my skirts to resemble shorts. No skaters, circles, pleats. My skirts are to the top of my knees, 15" to 15 1/2" . For walking or hiking that is the perfect length for unlimited stride. The drawback is sitting, as in restaurants. It depends where I sit and being sure my thighs are covered. I am careful getting in and out of a car and use the door as cover. It is a real plus when driving, as the skirt is pulled up and getting full advantage of the A.C. (or heater). My skirts are, denim, khaki, or various camouflage patterns. (masculine skirts). Some of my skirts were skorts that I removed the inner shorts from. I also like scrub skirts shortened to 15".

Skirts are so comfortable that I can hardly wait to change into a skirt when I get home.
Kilty
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kilty »

Happy-N-Skirts wrote:I am 5-'8" at 195 lbs. and I like my skirts to resemble shorts. No skaters, circles, pleats. My skirts are to the top of my knees, 15" to 15 1/2" . For walking or hiking that is the perfect length for unlimited stride. The drawback is sitting, as in restaurants. It depends where I sit and being sure my thighs are covered. I am careful getting in and out of a car and use the door as cover. It is a real plus when driving, as the skirt is pulled up and getting full advantage of the A.C. (or heater). My skirts are, denim, khaki, or various camouflage patterns. (masculine skirts). Some of my skirts were skorts that I removed the inner shorts from. I also like scrub skirts shortened to 15".

Skirts are so comfortable that I can hardly wait to change into a skirt when I get home.
same here. I think the pencil skirt looks the best compared to others like A line, pleated etc, with the exception of kilts, they (plus denim pencils) are the manliest you can get.

These guys from the German site are quite confident rocking theirs
24593571uj.jpg
26899852lx.jpg
25549865sn.jpg
Courtesy of Rockmode.de. I generally go for knee length, the same as my cargo shorts, if you still walk like a guy (so long as you don't sit like one :oops: ) everything is fine :wink:
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

This is the shortest skirt I own, which I don't use on scaffold, sitting, bending or anything in public. However, I like the colour and style and it is fun to wear.
I don't think I could go any shorter without showing some "unmentionables", whatever they may be.
green pleated micro_PB263332s.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jim »

denimini wrote:This is the shortest skirt I own, which I don't use on scaffold, sitting, bending or anything in public. However, I like the colour and style and it is fun to wear.
I don't think I could go any shorter without showing some "unmentionables", whatever they may be.
green pleated micro_PB263332s.jpg
I like it. But if it's not in public, why worry about "showing some "unmentionables""?
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

Jim wrote: I like it. But if it's not in public, why worry about "showing some "unmentionables""?
Ahh, there are a lot of twitchers (bird watchers) travelling though here with binoculars and long lenses.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

That's definitely shorter than anything I would wear but if it works for you then go for it.

As to the binocular-toting bird watchers, I think you're OK there. In most jurisdictions as long as you take reasonable precautions against being seen the authorities put the blame on the viewer. It's called, "visual trespassing."

And at least in your photo, you don't seem to be exposing anything naughty anyway.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
lazerr
Member Extraordinaire

Post by lazerr »

That green mini is way too short for me, but, I see the way it can be useful, especially if you like the look. I do like it, just that is the definition of too short for me.
Kilty
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kilty »

lazerr wrote:That green mini is way too short for me, but, I see the way it can be useful, especially if you like the look. I do like it, just that is the definition of too short for me.
+1 Not in November, that's for sure :shock: 21" is the shortest I've gone :)
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

Another skirt that approaches the limit of shortness. It is extremely comfortable, having quite a bit of stretch and pleats. I find the back is usually where the hem runs above the boundary line, particulary when standing as one does not usually lean or bend backwards. Sitting is a different story, although having a cuppa with a visitor on the verandah, we usually sit each side of a table, both facing out towards the river where the is little chance of exposure (a small risk of a fisherperson or twitcher coming up the bank).
pleated_micro_PC133512.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

Kiltie In your post you mention a size 10 / 16 skirt suit..I am trying to work out which is the skirt suit
to which you are referring.
I mentioned on another post that one day I wore my top of the knee cap 8 yard 16 oz Kilt with
my full rig.. the following day I wore the same rig with a below the knee pencil skirt in the same Tartan My female friends cannot tell the difference between a Traditional Kilt and a pencil skirt in the same
Tartan.......this does take some explaining..............Found a black below the knee pencil skirt
with three box pleats in the back... plenty of freedom of movement around the hem.
Found a couple of beach wear style skirts for the warmer weather....
16 inch traditional pleated female sports Kilt Skirts with velcro and metal / nylon clips ..one in black
and one in green .....throw away the old blueys and wear male Speedo swimmers ...
I remember I was buying some speedos years ago , and harassed mother had been trying to fit
beautiful daughter out with her Blueys or Greenuns for her new school.....
The charming young female assistant refered to the previously mentioned female sports wear as " Vile ".

My response was
" Oh well , we will not have much fun if I take you to the village dance tonight. ".......L.O.L.

Yes ,1968 , that was fifty years ago.............weeladdie
skirtingtoday
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtingtoday »

I am 5' 11' and about 165lbs (11 stone 11lbs) and regularly wear 14" long skirts. They are Denim minis (2No) and a black faux-leather one.
I tried to post a pic or two but I need to reduce the size before I can add them.
I only wear skirts above the knee which is 24" on me.
"A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on" - Winston Churchill.
"If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it" - Joseph Goebbels
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

skirtingtoday wrote:I am 5' 11' and about 165lbs (11 stone 11lbs) and regularly wear 14" long skirts. They are Denim minis (2No) and a black faux-leather one.
I tried to post a pic or two but I need to reduce the size before I can add them.
I only wear skirts above the knee which is 24" on me.
I have said this before...True waist is measured at the indentation between the top of the hip bone
and the side of the rib cage ....One can actually find this position by gently searching with ones
fingers.....If one looks in a full length mirror the inward curving of the male form is usually visible
in the view of the male outline shape from the front...

Many folks are not aware of this position as their lower garments may be designed to a more
modern style to sit on their hips.

When a traditional civilian male Kilt is worn, the buckles should hold the Kilt at the height of the
true waist. ...If the waist buckles are pulled comfortably tight when the waist band is horizontal at the back and front, the Kilt should support itself for the wearers use during the day......
The Traditional Top of the waistband is 2 inches higher than the true waist......

This means that the drop of the Kilt from the top of the waistband is two inches longer than
the measurement from the true waist to the top of the kneecap.

When one is wearing a " Traditional skirt "... the measurement for the length of the skirt is
normally from the waist band at the true waist to say the top of the knee cap.

This gives a good yardstick to work from.
As an example...say I wear a 20 inch Kilt ...this gives my waist as being 18 ins above the top of
my knee cap......My pleated female sports kilt skirt is 16 ins long ...
the waist band is at my true waist ...so the hem is two inches above the top of my knee cap.

I have said before that female school uniform skirts must be worn no more than 4ins above the
kneecap.......to which part of the kneecap are the school regs referring. ?....

If I suggest that this is traditional male Kilt height......top of the kneecap ....so shortest school skirt
I would wear would be 18 - 4 = 14 inches . you may think this is a bit short however My height is 5 ft 3ins

If you look again you will see my sports kilt skirt is 2 ins longer than the shortest uniform skirt I can wear.
So perhaps the school reg refers to a measurement from the middle of the kneecap
This would indicate that my school skirt must be no shorter than my sports skirt.

Please note these measurements are given for a retired male.....If I were a 5 ft 3 ins schoolgirl
my waist would probably be 24 to 28 ins so the skirt length would be different.

In a previous post I refered to going into a school shop and buying a school uniform tartan
kilt skirt.....The skirt in my size was the same length as my traditional Scottish Kilt to the
top of my knee cap........You homework today is to clarify how you can tell if I am wearing a
made to measure Traditional Scottish Civilian Kilt or a School Girls Uniform Kilt Skirt .
The man in the street cannot tell the difference ........
Last edited by weeladdie18 on Sat Dec 15, 2018 8:48 am, edited 4 times in total.
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

in my previous post I have quoted my good friend Skirting today...You will see he is taller than me
and has given plenty of information regarding his personal measurements .....His measurements
may be similar to yours.....This does give the newbie some idea how to go into a shop and check
the measurements of garments with a tape measure to see if they will fit his form.

This whole sizing is based on comparative mathematics.....there is some confusion regarding changing the numbers for female sizing....I bought two new skirts manufactured in different countries .......
one was a 10 ....the other was a 14.....both were the same measurement on my standard tape measure

This is one reason why I have this vision of having all my skirts made to measure to my male size.

Hey.... my slimming diet is working ....soon I will have to go out and buy a complete wardrobe of
smaller clothes.....
nzfreestyler
Member Extraordinaire

Post by nzfreestyler »

my shortest skirts are 12.5 inches in length from waist to hem.
I am a bit narrow waisted and I wear my skirts high because I can, and thats the right placement for their tailoring. So the top of my skirt would be just below my tummy button and 12 inches is about as short as I would dare go in a skirt.

I have skorts at 10.5 inches - still worn high though - but at least they've got material between my legs.

most of my skirts are around 15 inches, and I wear around 19 inches in a skirt suit etc..