The featured song for today

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Freedomforall
Member Extraordinaire

The featured song for today

Post by Freedomforall »

Nothing like listening to ABBA's Dancing Queen and wearing your favorite tie-dye skirt! Do I have any ABBA fans out there?

DJ
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Re: The featured song for today

Post by Caultron »

Freedomforall wrote:Nothing like listening to ABBA's Dancing Queen and wearing your favorite tie-dye skirt! Do I have any ABBA fans out there?
They were OK but a bit too close to bubble gum for me. Also, I never figured out who designated them a super-group (whatever that is). Their publicity manager?

I'd sooner go tie-dyed over Led Zep or Jimi Hendrix.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
Freedomforall
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Freedomforall »

Nothing wrong with that lineup either!
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Personally, I enjoyed Abba from the first time I heard their music. I have a special fondness for Intermezzo Number One and Arrival, the latter of which was brilliantly covered by Mike Oldfield on his album QE2. Abba's Super Trouper album is little short of magical, as was The Visitors.

The saddest thing about Abba was that their music developed and advanced the most when their own personal lives were unravelling, so we'll never know what the lineup may have eventually produced.

I can see Led Zeppelin, but I've never been able to deal with Hendrix. Maybe he was talented, but the stuff I've heard is so non-musical as to be unlistenable. This may have been down to the fact that his brain was fried from all the drugs by that time.

If my network link wasn't saturated I'd put some Abba on, but the files are at my office and I'm at home at the moment...
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Freedomforall
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Freedomforall »

Carl you echo my sentiments exactly. Isn't it peculiar how some of the most talented people are the most tortured? I was an actual disc jockey for a radio station in the early 90's The owners were extremely wealthy bluegrass musicians. She told me talent often comes with a price. I think it is true for writers as well.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Freedomforall wrote:Isn't it peculiar how some of the most talented people are the most tortured?
There's definitely a correlation in there, but I do no suspect any causation in the mix. I know extraordinarily talented folks who are just fine, and I know a number of simpletons who are, as you say, "tortured". One thing about talented folks, though, is that they do push harder than average folks -- and tend not to show the cracks as they inevitably evolve. This surfaced recently locally when an extremely talented young woman on a technical-school's robotics team committed suicide -- and nobody saw it coming so successful she was at concealing the self-imposed pressure.
She told me talent often comes with a price. I think it is true for writers as well.
Most everything comes with a price. One of the better films I've seen is Blade Runner, and that relationship is explicitly alluded to in the scene where Roy (the replicant) meets Tyrell (who designed him). Tyrell tells Roy that, "The light that burns twice as bright burns half as long." shortly before Roy kills him. 'Tis a brilliant, if dark, film.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
FranTastic444
Member Extraordinaire

Post by FranTastic444 »

I think Abba come into super (trooper) group league just based upon how many records they sold. I remember being told that at one time they were paying more tax than Saab, but I'm not sure if that was an urban myth.

Although I never considered myself a fan, they were much played on UK radio in the 70's and 80's and I'm sure I could still sing along to many of their tunes.

Is Rumours by Fleetwood Mac the best example of personal turmoil and relationship meltdown leading to a great album? They lost the plot when it came to Tusk of course.....
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

I think that Paul Simon is one of the most under-rated singer/songwriters of the 20th century. Not just for the number of good songs with brilliant and often haunting lyrics but also for the breadth of his writing style - from country, through pop, reggae, soul to name a few. Yes, I'm an ABBA fan, also the Carpenters but like a wide range of good music from the forties through to classical. I am a product of the fifties and sixties after all.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

For me there isn't any better music than the dance bands and the music they played. I grew up listening to them on the radio. I also like the early 50's rock and or roll music, military marches, light classical, and the William Tell Overture.
I do like some of the old country and western music and a few of the more modern country songs as well.
I can not pass up the pipes and drums either. Or any other good music played on a theater organ.

I do not like heavy metal or modern rock, rap music, reggae, and most of the modern music played today.
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
Freedomforall
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Freedomforall »

My favorite music is classical and singers/standards. Frank Sinatra, Tony Bennett, Carmen McRae, and Etta James are a few of my favorites.
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire
Location: 65 year The Hague, The Netherlands, then Allentown, PA, USA

Post by beachlion »

Fred in Skirts wrote:For me there isn't any better music than the dance bands and the music they played. I grew up listening to them on the radio. I also like the early 50's rock and or roll music, military marches, light classical, and the William Tell Overture.
I do like some of the old country and western music and a few of the more modern country songs as well.
I can not pass up the pipes and drums either. Or any other good music played on a theater organ.

I do not like heavy metal or modern rock, rap music, reggae, and most of the modern music played today.
For music we are quite alike. For me it is a little more old style New Orleans, big bands and Dixieland and less country and western. And for the fun Spike Jones. ;)
All progress takes place outside the comfort zone - M J Bobak
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

Sinned wrote:I think that Paul Simon is one of the most under-rated singer/songwriters of the 20th century...
Yes indeed, The Boxer is probably my favorite song, and certainly the most inspirational.

But Teach Your Children, by Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young, is pretty good too.

Not to forget Hotel California and Life in the Fast Lane, both by the Eagles, although that group seems a bit less tie dyed.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Aw, 'Music' is just a lot of noises. One note sounds like the next and they're all the same, just louder or quieter. :roll:

C.S. Forrester's inveterate British Naval hero of the Napoleonic period, Horatio Hornblower famously was totally tone deaf and when required to attend a gala concert in the Dominions used to slip away as soon as he decently could and have a rubber of whist (cards) with friends. He could just about identify the National Anthem by the familiar sequence of crashes the tympani made.

Patrick O'Brian's naval hero, Jack Aubrey was quite the opposite and played string music with his ship's surgeon, Maturin into the small hours on board. This activity featured in the film 'Master & Commander'.

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire
Location: 65 year The Hague, The Netherlands, then Allentown, PA, USA

Post by beachlion »

Kirbstone wrote:....... C.S. Forrester's inveterate British Naval hero of the Napoleonic period, Horatio Hornblower famously was totally tone deaf and when required to attend a gala concert in the Dominions used to slip away as soon as he decently could and have a rubber of whist (cards) with friends. He could just about identify the National Anthem by the familiar sequence of crashes the tympani made. .......
It is not only skirts and kilts but also books we have in common. As far as I know, I have all the paperbacks about Hornblower and also the books of Alexander Kent of his hero Richard Bolitho. It took some effort to get those books in the Netherlands.
All progress takes place outside the comfort zone - M J Bobak
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

beachlion wrote:For music we are quite alike. For me it is a little more old style New Orleans, big bands and Dixieland and less country and western. And for the fun Spike Jones. ;)
There is no other person who could massacre the music as he could. I always love his William Tell Overture. I used to watch him on the telly and would sit and be mesmerized.

Fred
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.