Problems with parents

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Mercury

Problems with parents

Post by Mercury »

I have been wearing a nice traditional tartan kilt for a while. I wear it at my job. It's become kind of a trademark look for me. Everyone expects it. My mother was unsure about me wearing it at first, but she got used to it quickly. I have recently gotten very interested in trying other kinds of skirts. I even got a Simplicity pattern and made my own. I mentioned to my mother that I was interested in wearing it out. She freaked out a little. She saw the woman on the front of the pattern envelope and she couldn't get past it. I tried to explain that more and more men are wearing them, and it's not that big of a deal. I think she's afraid of the social repercussions. I have gotten to where I don't care much what other people think.

I have my eye on one I saw on eBay. It's made of medium weight gray linen, and it's a little below the knee. It's simple and inconspicuous. I want to get it, but I am afraid my mother is going to make a fuss about it. How do you all handle family who are resistant to your skirt wearing?
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire
Location: 65 year The Hague, The Netherlands, then Allentown, PA, USA

Re: Problems with parents

Post by beachlion »

You could make smaller steps. From a real kilt you could go to a Utilikilt or something similar and wear it for some time. You just take the tartan out of the equation. Then you could go for a tartan skirt in about the same length as a kilt. By then I suppose the shock is over and you can go on from there.
All progress takes place outside the comfort zone - M J Bobak
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

Perhaps the answer is to come to an agreement where you can wear a skirt indoors but not leave the house wearing a skirt.
My mother said to me " you are not going out of my house wearing a skirt. What would the neighbours think ? "

If I had replied to my mother regarding my opinion of her neighbours she may have considered that I am a Racist or a " gay basher ".
Like many others ....I found a home of my own ................weeladdie
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

There again the boot might be worn on the other foot.......
Some small boys object to being dressed in their first Scottish Kilt when they are four years old
......They throw a tantrum and say that they are not going out wearing " Girls Clothes "

This would perhaps lead us to believe that our mothers control the way we should be dressed......
It is a well known fact that the Lassies love to see a man in a Kilt........
They are not necessarily interested in the man.....The lassies just love to see the Kilt.......weeladdie
partlyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by partlyscot »

My parents have passed on, so that doesn't come into play, most of my family is back in the UK, and I haven't seen most of them since I started wearing skirts. I did go over to Ontario to my sister's place back in November, when my brother and sister in law visited. It was the only serious issue I've had. My sister didn't think it would be accepted by my brother in law, which I kind of expected, but she seemed fairly definite that locals wouldn't like it either. What I really found upsetting was her own attitude when we did get around to talking. She seemed to think there was something wrong with me. My brother and SIL didn't think it much of a big deal. What with that, and some heated political discussions, it was not the best week I've ever had.

Mercury, maybe get a ladies plaid skirt from a thrift store, and see if she notices. I'm betting even she notices it's different, she will still think of it as a skirt. Once she is used to you wearing it, the next time skirt wearing comes up......"but you have no problem with my other skirt"
Mercury

Post by Mercury »

weeladdie18 wrote:Perhaps the answer is to come to an agreement where you can wear a skirt indoors but not leave the house wearing a skirt.
My mother said to me " you are not going out of my house wearing a skirt. What would the neighbours think ? "

If I had replied to my mother regarding my opinion of her neighbours she may have considered that I am a Racist or a " gay basher ".
Like many others ....I found a home of my own ................weeladdie
It's weird. In her mind a kilt is okay. If it's designed for a woman,then it's not okay. She doesn't seem to be totally against the idea of a man in a skirt. I have bid on a mid calf linen skirt on eBay. It's going to be interesting how she reacts.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

Mercury wrote:...How do you all handle family who are resistant to your skirt wearing?
Take whatever acceptance you can get, keep up a gentle pressure, and don't drive any opposition into being deep-seated and fixed.

If you're not wearing tartan kilts all the time, maybe you should.

You could try wearing a utility kilt occasionally.

Try a knee-length denim skirt. Those tend to be the most "invisible."

Wear new things only around the house for a while, until they seem more normal. (Or don't wear them around the house, if that goes over better. Let your mother know, though, because sneaking around isn't true progress and it's bound to eventually backfire.)
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
eightofnine

Post by eightofnine »

I have the same problem with my mum ,she tolerates me wearing a skirt around the house but one time we were going to the cinema .So i decided to wear a skirt ,she told me to change i told her no and that i wasn't going then .My mum is also afraid of the social repercussions despite me telling her I've been out many time and nothing has happened .I'm just trying to see how much she tolerates i went out the other day with a friend she saw my outfit and never said anything .I am not going to change no matter how much she doesn't like it
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

eightofnine wrote:I have the same problem with my mum [...] I am not going to change no matter how much she doesn't like it
Note that sometimes this means finding a place of your own. Just sayin'.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
eightofnine

Post by eightofnine »

crfriend wrote:
eightofnine wrote:I have the same problem with my mum [...] I am not going to change no matter how much she doesn't like it
can i move in with you then lol :-D
Mercury

Post by Mercury »

I am trying to keep the peace, but at some point you have to live your life the way you want. She wasn't comfortable with my kilt at first, and now she doesn't say anything when I wear it. That happened pretty quickly. I am hoping that the resistance to my skirt will also be short lived.

I just won a nice gray linen skirt on eBay, and I really want to wear it out as soon as I get it.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

Mercury wrote:I am trying to keep the peace, but at some point you have to live your life the way you want. She wasn't comfortable with my kilt at first, and now she doesn't say anything when I wear it. That happened pretty quickly. I am hoping that the resistance to my skirt will also be short lived.

I just won a nice gray linen skirt on eBay, and I really want to wear it out as soon as I get it.
That's the ticket, take it one step at a time, don't trigger any major conflagrations that may become deep-set.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
webboy42

Post by webboy42 »

Mercury wrote:It's weird. In her mind a kilt is okay. If it's designed for a woman,then it's not okay. She doesn't seem to be totally against the idea of a man in a skirt. I have bid on a mid calf linen skirt on eBay. It's going to be interesting how she reacts.
One option could be a skirt marketed as unisex like the Macabi or Unaligned skirt. I got lucky with my family, because the main reaction was surprise, curiosity, or indifference.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

crfriend wrote:
Seconded....

And no, you can't live with me. Not to be an ass, we just don't have the room... There is a nice little house for sale across the street though for a reasonable price!
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
eightofnine

Post by eightofnine »

moonshadow wrote:
crfriend wrote:
Seconded....

And no, you can't live with me. Not to be an ass, we just don't have the room... There is a nice little house for sale across the street though for a reasonable price!
I wish I could we are buying our house at the moment and I have agreed to help pay.Mum is on with me wearing a skirt around the house and she didn't say anything when I went out wearing a skirt. I think that as long as I'm wearing pants when I'm out with her I'm ok . We don't go out often .