Problems with parents

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Mercury

Re: Problems with parents

Post by Mercury »

Well I got my skirt in the mail and showed it to my mother. As predicted, she was not happy about it. She said I couldn't wear it in public when she was with me. I felt a little deflated
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Mercury wrote:Well I got my skirt in the mail and showed it to my mother. As predicted, she was not happy about it. She said I couldn't wear it in public when she was with me. I felt a little deflated
Well.... tell her you don't want to be seen in public with her wearing trousers....

I know how you feel... my moms the same way. Fortunately I don't live with her.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
webboy42

Post by webboy42 »

Mercury wrote:Well I got my skirt in the mail and showed it to my mother. As predicted, she was not happy about it. She said I couldn't wear it in public when she was with me. I felt a little deflated
The bright side is that she didn't completely forbid you from wearing it. It's not much, but it's something. Maybe she'll come around in time if you continue wearing skirts and respect, at least for now, her demand that you not wear a skirt when you go out with her. One step at a time.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

I have a similar arrangement with my wife. She tolerant of me wearing a skirt any time except when we're out together.

However, she does let me wear a utility kilt on my birthday and when we go out to buy something expensive that she wants.

I keep gently working on it but her feelings are pretty deep set.

I think it might be because that rule gives her at least some level of control over a situation she doesn't really like.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
Mercury

Post by Mercury »

I actually haven't tried just wearing it at home. I don't know how she would react to that. I'm still baffled by her feelings. When I put it on and look at myself in the mirror, it doesn't look weird to me. At least my friends are okay with it.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

Mercury wrote:I actually haven't tried just wearing it at home. I don't know how she would react to that. I'm still baffled by her feelings. When I put it on and look at myself in the mirror, it doesn't look weird to me. At least my friends are okay with it.
Not even on your way out?
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
Kilty
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kilty »

Mercury wrote:I am trying to keep the peace, but at some point you have to live your life the way you want. She wasn't comfortable with my kilt at first, and now she doesn't say anything when I wear it. That happened pretty quickly. I am hoping that the resistance to my skirt will also be short lived.

I just won a nice gray linen skirt on eBay, and I really want to wear it out as soon as I get it.
It would be nice to see it, sounds lovely 8)
Mercury

Post by Mercury »

kilty wrote:
Mercury wrote:I am trying to keep the peace, but at some point you have to live your life the way you want. She wasn't comfortable with my kilt at first, and now she doesn't say anything when I wear it. That happened pretty quickly. I am hoping that the resistance to my skirt will also be short lived.

I just won a nice gray linen skirt on eBay, and I really want to wear it out as soon as I get it.
I have to figure out how to post pictures in this forum.
Mercury

Post by Mercury »

I have an update. Yesterday I wore my skirt out for the first time. I had to do a presentation. I wore a mid calf tartan skirt that I made. On the way there my friend and I stopped at a restaurant to get something to eat. A few people gave me a second look, but it was really not a big deal. Nobody said anything when I did my presentation. When I got home, my mother saw me wearing it. She said it looked nice. Then she told me to change because we had to go out. Maybe I am making progress, but I don't know.
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

Mercury wrote: When I got home, my mother saw me wearing it. She said it looked nice. Then she told me to change because we had to go out. Maybe I am making progress, but I don't know.
That's progress, for sure! She said it looks nice. Not ridiculous or WTF are you wearing it. She's not ready to be seen with you in a skirt, but that's quite a bit further down the road.
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
eightofnine

Post by eightofnine »

Mercury wrote:I have an update. Yesterday I wore my skirt out for the first time. I had to do a presentation. I wore a mid calf tartan skirt that I made. On the way there my friend and I stopped at a restaurant to get something to eat. A few people gave me a second look, but it was really not a big deal. Nobody said anything when I did my presentation. When I got home, my mother saw me wearing it. She said it looked nice. Then she told me to change because we had to go out. Maybe I am making progress, but I don't know.

sounds like progress , the first time mum seen me wearing a skirt for the first time .i was washing dishes she came up behind me and yanked on the hem and said what's this .Since then she doesn't say anything .hopefully once day you will be able to wear them openly .I'm hoping one day mum won't mind being out and about with me skirted
Mercury

Post by Mercury »

Now I have started wearing a skirt openly at home. I'm feeling more and more comfortable.

I had a date yesterday, and I wore one. I'm sure people looked, and who knows what they were thinking? I did it anyway, and nobody said anything.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

What was your date's reaction?
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Kilty
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kilty »

Mercury wrote:
kilty wrote:

I have to figure out how to post pictures in this forum.
You still have to shrink it down to 600x480 pixels or 256kb, I think most editors will allow you to resize the photos and save it at a lower resolution. Click on the "upload attachment" tab and choose file, then click where you want to insert the file or picture... failing that, imgur or one of the file hosting sites can provide a site where you can share it as an image using the [img] command.

How did the date go? Did they like the skirt? I find knee length is better rather than anything too short :mrgreen:
Mercury

Post by Mercury »

I knew someone would probably ask about my date. :D I told him about it ahead of time. He thought it was great! He told me that he actually had one too. It was a lot of fun.

It was about mid calf. I don't like anything above the knee. It would make me feel too exposed. :) The more that I wear skirts I am drawn more and more to the longer ones.