Two weeks of heaven

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
vendeebeaches

Two weeks of heaven

Post by vendeebeaches »

Just spent two weeks on holiday in France wearing skirts for the whole two weeks.
skirtcafe.jpg
The first I wore for trips to the beach
The second for casual trips out and about
20180602_092601.jpg
and this last one for more formal outings.
It was a fantastic two weeks and makes me more determined to try it more at home on a regular basis.
What are peoples opinion about shirts being tucked in or left loose and also any other comments would be greatly appreciated.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Two weeks of heaven

Post by weeladdie18 »

My comment is always dress smarty and tuck your shirt in .....I find that a traditional male style jacket goes well with a man in a skirt ....
Makes the outfit look male ....if that is what you require .....It is my opinion that English children who do not tuck their shirts in whilst wearing
their school uniform just look sloppy.......

Perhaps the issue is to wear a skirt length which suits the man in a skirt . I wear my skirts to the top of the knee cap , or just below the Knee.
It is unfortunate that we ....as a group have no guide lines particularly for SW . UK. ......weeladdie
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

Without guidelines, you are free to make up your own rules. What more could you ask for?

Actually, the answer to whether to tuck the shirt in or not is very often the same as it would be if you wore the shirt with trousers or shorts. A school uniform shirt does want to be tucked in, but generally T-shirts don't.
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

skirtyscot wrote:Actually, the answer to whether to tuck the shirt in or not is very often the same as it would be if you wore the shirt with trousers or shorts. A school uniform shirt does want to be tucked in, but generally T-shirts don't.
I thought that the rule of thumb was that if a shirt has tails then it needs to be tucked in, but if it had a straight hem then it could go either way depending on whim.

This, of course, has been destroyed by modern women's blouses having tails just like men's shirts and which women usually leave untucked. Of course, this looks just as slovenly as a man with an untucked shirt but nobody dares point that up.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire
Location: 65 year The Hague, The Netherlands, then Allentown, PA, USA

Post by beachlion »

When I grew up, it was said to me that shirts should be tucked in. And I only knew of shirts with tails and they were quite long. In those days we still had our colony (now) Indonesia and people from the tropics wore often their shirts untucked but they had straight hems. I was not used to shirts with straight hems so it was very exotic to me.
All progress takes place outside the comfort zone - M J Bobak
Kilty
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kilty »

Nice skirts, I like the first short denim one, then the black & white one :) I tuck in, if wearing a formal shirt. I am guilty of stuffing my shirt into the waistband of my skirt, but now pull my skirt up, and pull the shirt tail down (once my skirt is zipped and buttoned up) so it is smoother and not so crumpled. Best to dress smart, even denim skirts I do the same, unless it's a blouse that's a little too short :wink:

Get a slightly longer skirt like this guy
_68068517_68068516.jpg
As personally I think knee length is a better skirt length for guys :wink:
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

All those skirts look good as worn by vendee'.
If we had rules or guidlines I think I would break those as well as the one that men don't wear skirts. I will stick to my mini skirts with shirt in or out, usually shirt-out except for when the shirt is long; with a mini it can look like I am not wearing pants (they would never suspect there was a mini skirt under there) and when tucked in I have to make sure the bottom of the shirt does not protrude like slip ------ usually I don't tuck it in tight over my belly anyway. The advantage of skirts is that if you tuck it in after the skirt is on, you can hoist the skirt up and grab the shirt to pull it down (not in public).
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
Kieran

Post by Kieran »

All of those skirts look great. I quite like the look of the tartan one.
Have you had any reactions from people?

I think the decision as to whether you tuck in depends on whether you're wearing a t-shirt or a shirt and the length of the skirt you are wearing. I tend to tuck in if i'm wearing a shirt whereas i don't if i'm wearing a t-shirt.
I'm also more likely to tuck in if i am wearing a short skirt like the ones in your pictures. If i don't there have been instances where my shirt has covered half of my skirt!