Traveling skirted

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Traveling skirted

Post by Kirbstone »

Skirts and everything to do with them will forever remain strictly leisure for me.

I agree totally that business is business and zero distractions are in order. In my line of endeavour, attacking people's faces, mouths to be precise, presenting myself to new people who are about to put their total trust in me must be in the strictest traditional professional sense, and that precludes anything worn that distracts attention from the business in hand or under discussion.

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
Happy-N-Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Happy-N-Skirts »

I wear skirts for hiking or around the house, to the mail box, and along the way there and back to where I am hiking. I stop at gas stations, restaurants, stores for any supplies, etc. Usually where no one knows me, although our neighbors see me in skirts all the time.
mishawakaskirt
Member Extraordinaire

Post by mishawakaskirt »

This may have been said by me in another thread some long time ago.
I drive kilted or skirted alot during the summer months. If it is 10 + miles 16.09 Km. I chuck the trousers, for a kilt or skirt. That's great for driving.
Mishawakaskirt @2wayskirt on Twitter

Avoid the middle man, wear a kilt or skirt.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

kilty wrote:...Customer-facing roles could put off potential customers who might think your business is 'a joke'...
There's some basis for that. Customers are fickle and get turned off by the smallest things.

And even in non-customer-facing occupations, supervisory discrimination can be a problem.

A lot probably depends on the occupation. IT people, engineers, artistic workers, and other creative workers will probably get more slack.

Of course for teleworkers (my situation) all bets are off.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

I would agree one has to wear trousers to be professional at work.... but the male may wear the skirt for leisure activities.

Perhaps our gripe is the double standard where the female has a choice of wearing a skirt as part of her company uniform
but the male does not have that choice.

I have worn both the Kilt and the Skirt whilst travelling on the Bus and the train.

I have been invited to an event where I have to introduce myself and I have chosen not to wear the Traditional Kilt as I do not wish to
to confuse the issues of what I wish to achieve at that that event......If it were just a social meeting with people I know
my attitude to my attire may be more flexible.

In a nut shell I do not wish to create the image that I wish to be different in my attire , as that is irrelevant to the purpose of attending
the event..............weeladdie............
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

Traditionally in the Gentlemens Yacht Racing world ..the Ladies were only allowed on the yachts when they were on their moorings
The ladies were only allowed aboard if they were wearing white pleated skirts

The ladies were not allowed on board the yachts whilst they were racing as the female was considered to be a distraction and bring
bad luck to the vessel.

It is worth noting that we as a group consider a... "sighting in the wild ".....to be a distraction and worthy of a post to our forum.
.......weeladdie
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

weeladdie18 wrote:Perhaps our gripe is the double standard where the female has a choice of wearing a skirt as part of her company uniform
but the male does not have that choice.
Yep... that's pretty much it. But what are ya gonna do....? We just express our self when we can and do what we have to to keep the bills paid.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

Moon.......I do not Know if you will believe this could actually happen....

After work one afternoon some 15 years ago, I went into a town a few miles from my place of work. I had changed into a skirt.
On Monday morning I was dragged into an office and told That I had been seen wearing a skirt by my fellow employees.

The security people were going to have me vetted as they thought I might be a security risk and might be blackmailed into giving away
Company Secrets to our competitors....Simply because I was seen wearing a skirt.

I went into the personel managers office to discuss this matter with the Personel Manager......All the personel staff were female and were
all wearing smart skirts. .......My immediate thoughts were " equal human rights under European Union law."

I wasted everyone' s time by having a security interview by the district security department......One of the conclusions from the interviewing
security officer was that some company managers misinterpret the Implications of breaches of personal security by employees.

One of the most serious breaches of security is caused by married employees having relationships with other employee's wives.
This may cause employees to be blackmailed......nothing to do with selling the company secrets.

Life goes on and we all have to earn our daily crust of bread..................weeladdie.
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire
Location: 65 year The Hague, The Netherlands, then Allentown, PA, USA

Post by beachlion »

I worked for a shipyard for almost 25 year. The shipyard was located in the middle of the Netherlands, in the Bible Belt. Yes, we have one too. When I started in the 80s, 75% of the people were more or less local but the company was growing fast and the new growth came from elsewhere. It was a mainly male operation with the women in secretarial jobs.In those days it would have been totally impossible to deviate from a strict male course for a guy. Shipbuilding is a macho operation so be in line with it.
Even much later with a lot of young people entering the workforce and the macho core became somewhat dilluted, it would have been difficult to go even slightly feminine. I was an engineer and now and then I had contact with customers when we had to test ships. I also went out to customers to supervise repairs. So it had to be a suit or a pants/jacket combination. I had to project the macho image of shipbuilders.
Wearing a kilt would have been possible at our carnaval (mardi gras) because it would have been seen as a joke. Going every day to and from work on a motorbike was also not very helpful. So I'm glad I'm retired and be my own boss (if my wife lets me of course).
All progress takes place outside the comfort zone - M J Bobak
Kilty
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kilty »

Caultron wrote:
kilty wrote:...Customer-facing roles could put off potential customers who might think your business is 'a joke'...
There's some basis for that. Customers are fickle and get turned off by the smallest things.

And even in non-customer-facing occupations, supervisory discrimination can be a problem.

A lot probably depends on the occupation. IT people, engineers, artistic workers, and other creative workers will probably get more slack.

Of course for teleworkers (my situation) all bets are off.
Hitching up one's pencil skirt before diving under a desk to re patch a network cable, whilst hoping not to ruin another pair of tights is probably an image my customers can be spared if visiting different sites...

Most of my skirts are formal, like Mark's gorgeous blue one pictured here
fa3eab4d35039bb41b4ec2783b3da57b.jpg
(Haven't seen him about much of late :blue: ) which may be fine for office based dress down Fridays, but to new clients or sites where first impressions count, and may not be so receptive to fashion freedom, it's best to wear trousers and avoid any aggro...even shorts I would be hesitant to wear, in case I am sent to a bank where dress code is very high...

Though as more stories about men wearing skirts as shorts are banned make newspaper headlines, perhaps in future people will be more tolerant... problem in my job can be dealing with floor ports and networking where you don't need the additional worry of getting down to kneel or crouching down in the most demure way possible without showing off tomorrow's laundry :lol:
partlyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by partlyscot »

kilty wrote:Same for me. The business world does not really want someone making a spectacle and drawing attention to themselves, possibly detracting. If it was office based, and the boss doesn't mind, then something conservative in a black or navy knee length is fine. Customer-facing roles could put off potential customers who might think your business is 'a joke'. Is that right? I don't think so, but sometimes it's about making things also easy for yourself and making a living.
I have had zero issues from my employer about my skirts. I work retail, and am literally talking to people all day. Nobody has said it yet, but I'm fairly sure other employees have sent someone looking for me saying something like "you need to talk to partlyscot, he will know the answer.. He's the tall bald guy wearing a skirt or kilt" I suppose it helps to be the go-to guy in your department..
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

partlyscot wrote:I have had zero issues from my employer about my skirts. I work retail, and am literally talking to people all day. Nobody has said it yet, but I'm fairly sure other employees have sent someone looking for me saying something like "you need to talk to partlyscot, he will know the answer.. He's the tall bald guy wearing a skirt or kilt" I suppose it helps to be the go-to guy in your department..
Sounds like an excellent arrangement!
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
kidme

Post by kidme »

skirtyscot wrote:I've never had any problems at airport security, and I've flown skirted several times.
Any particular airport you tried? Each inbound trip I have concerns running into descrimination at the immigration destination and, outbound I have concerns on getting delayed by TSA due to extra checks.

I did it twice so far, but I rarely see passengers on long haul skirted. It wasn’t a good experience trying to sleep in economy while wearing a short skirt.. it rides up.
Mark as in Mark
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Mark as in Mark »

kilty wrote: (Haven't seen him about much of late :blue: )
Been really busy at work but still look in at times.

I have been though airports Dallas/Ft. Worth, San Francisco, Atlanta, Chicago, Philadelphia, London Heathrow, LA, Frankfurt, Zurich, and Paris all while wearing skirts and high heels. Only bad experiences come from passengers. Never had a problem with security. Always been treated the same even when having to be patted down. I have been asked a few times during pat downs if i preferred a female agent or a male agent to do the pat downs. Always choose the female :D Airline staffs always act professional and most flight attendants (male or female) always give compliments.

I do get more looks and questions asked than normal when going thru customs however. But still no big deal. I had one female custom agent in Switzerland actually come on to me. :oops: :roll:

Traveling by rail in Europe I do get more rude comments (assumption since it's always in a language i don't understand, but the looks given are the same). Maybe the difference in comments flying or by train is the class of people.
I was told I have balls for wearing skirts! My reply? "That's because balls this big won't fit in pants!"

https://www.pinterest.de/Mark_as_in_Mark/me/
https://www.instagram.com/markbryan911/
kidme

Post by kidme »

I never tried inbound into USA; only outbound at SFO and ATL. Singapore immigration is ok.