Torrid Tartan Skirts

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
ManInASkirt

Torrid Tartan Skirts

Post by ManInASkirt »

First post - hi all! I'm a guy who's only recently started exploring skirts as part of other feminine/fluid clothing I like to wear and have yet to be out in public (other than trying one on in a dressing room and buying one from a resale shop). That said, I'm a big fan of Torrid, and recently noticed this skirt go on sale/clearance:

https://www.torrid.com/product/outlande ... 40353.html

It looks a lot like a kilt, so it's something "between" a kilt and a skirt - a nice way to ease into getting comfortable wearing in public (on trips, this isn't something I'm opening up to family, friends, etc. because it feels "too close" to my sexual identity for me to want to involve them, even though my sexual identity is still heterosexual - it's just not something I'd prefer to bring up with friends and family).

But, there's also this one, which is decidedly more feminine:

https://www.torrid.com/product/outlande ... 26069.html

I got a chance to stop by a local Torrid last night and asked if they had the first one in stock, knowing they usually don't when it's part of their pop culture collection. I got lucky and they did, but not in my size - it was one size (likely) too small. I was able to put it on but it was too tight, so I resolved to order online since they were having a sale. Getting to feel the material, it's pretty heavy, so I'm pleased with that aspect. I'm hoping the second one is a little lighter - it looks it.

I cam home and ended up ordering both, ship to store. Can't wait to get them in, confirm the fit and plan my first trip/outing! Also, glad to be a part of the community and look forward to the wide range of opinions and options here. Somehow it feels better than a true CD or GF community - something I'm not ready to affiliate or fully associate with yet as I get comfortable with my "new" self.

PS - For what it's worth, last night, trying that skirt on in the dressing room, was the first night I'd ever publicly identified that an article of "women's" clothing was for me. The clerk was great (Torrid usually is!), helpful but not overly suffocating, and someone I'm looking forward to dealing with again. Just getting over that first hump of being a guy trying on a skirt and not having the world implode while I was doing it was reassuring, as silly as that sounds. That outing will likely involve Vegas and a poker table, so other than the folks I interact with as I walk up to the table, everyone else that comes and goes won't know the difference anyway (and from what I'm reading, won't care, especially in Vegas!).
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Torrid Tartan Skirts

Post by moonshadow »

Excellent experience!

I think you'll find as you make your way out in the public eye, the fears are mostly hype.

I've been at this for almost three years, in Appalachia, and wearing some downright femme stuff... I've not spilled nary a drop of blood over this. 99.999% of people completely leave me alone. Half of the other one 0.0001% compliment, the other half my snicker or giggle from across the room.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

ManInASkirt wrote:First post - hi all! I'm a guy who's only recently started exploring skirts as part of other feminine/fluid clothing I like to wear and have yet to be out in public (other than trying one on in a dressing room and buying one from a resale shop)...
Welcome, ManInASkirt, and congratulations on starting your journey.

Both of those Torrid skirts look fine to me. But in fact, the best skirt is the one you're most confident wearing.

I know this is hard to believe, but the vast majority of people really don't care what you wear. A man in a skirt, yeah, that's a little unusual, and some percentage of people will notice, but the overwhelmingly common response is a simple, "Oh well."

The trick (and I know this is difficult at first) is to appear confident and friendly. People react to that so positively that what you're wearing really doesn't matter at all. But if you cower and cringe and act like a creep, they'll think you're a creep.

As to family, that can be tricky. You may accept being a little weird, if that's how your nature expresses itself, but family members are sometimes uncomfortable being related to someone in that state. My usual advice is not to hide your interest very long, but raise the subject gently, take whatever room they give you, don't trigger major resistance, and accept slow progress as better than none.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
mishawakaskirt
Member Extraordinaire

Post by mishawakaskirt »

Welcome,
Very nice tartan skirts. I'm it will get confused with some and be called a kilt.

The public at large get skirts confused with kilts and kilts confused with skirts.
Some cafe members tell tales of having a denim skirt called a kilt. And I have had my kilts called a skirt before.
Either way they look good, and are comfortable. I love tartans, I own both skirts and kilts? Or is it kilts and skirts?
Enjoy.
ManInASkirt

Post by ManInASkirt »

@Caultron - Thanks, I appreciate it. I absolutely believe you about the confidence aspect. What else helps is just me being comfortable with it, which is coming. Because it’s not a fetish per se for me it’s not something I’m looking for attention from and I’m not shy, can handle criticisms/comments, etc. - it’s just comfort and confidence in being different without asserting difference if that makes any sense. What you wrote above seems right on and I appreciate it.

@Misha - I can’t wait. The longer one is a heavy fabric that hangs well. The shorter one I haven’t seen but seems lighter. In any case it’s a reason to get my Justin lace up ropers cleaned up and resolved. :)
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

ManInASkirt wrote:@Caultron - Thanks, I appreciate it...What you wrote above seems right on and I appreciate it...
Thanks, good luck, and keep us posted!
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
ManInASkirt

Post by ManInASkirt »

They came in today!

http://imgur.com/a/amiESRA

Tried them on before I left just to make sure.

They need pressing but now the hunt is on for the right shirt match for each.

Strangely, I like the fit on the shorter one more but not because it's flirty, just because it's so airy.
ManInASkirt

Post by ManInASkirt »

Went and walked the dog tonight in the shorter one and got a “nice kilt!”

It is... almost! :)