The Gentleman's Skirt Suit

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

The Gentleman's Skirt Suit

Post by weeladdie18 »

I am considering how the skirt in a gentleman's skirt suit should be correctly designed......The male skirt is a new garment in the male wardrobe

in the British Isles. I would presume the garment should be cut to fit the male measurements and the shape would be slightly different as

the male is smaller on the hips than the female and has a longer walking stride.

Additional freedom in the buttocks would give additional comfort whilst seated whilst seated for driving, or in an office, for long periods of time.

Perhaps an A Line shape would follow the sillouette of the striding or hunting male form.

Maybe the straight Pencil Skirt would be neat and comfortable. A zip opening on the left hip would probably be most practical and comfortable.

The waist at the traditional Military Kilt height of 3 inches above the natural waist would give additional warmth to the lower regions of the body.

An absence of pockets in the skirt would give a neatness to the garment.

Perhaps a matching waistcoat ,added to the suit jacket ,in the shorter style of the Argyle Highland Jacket would be practical and stylish.....

Would any of the skirt wearing males accept this style of male suit, not considering the cost at this time ? weeladdie
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Re: The Gentleman's Skirt Suit

Post by oldsalt1 »

Being an accountant most of my working life has been in suits. Working in NYC and at times on Madison Ave I had to maintain an extensive wardrobe of suits.

Being semi retired I have be able to cut back a little . I am now down to 8 suits of the suits 2 come with pants the remaining 6 are skirt suits
Gusto10
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Gusto10 »

weeladdie18 wrote:I am considering how the skirt in a gentleman's skirt suit should be correctly designed......The male skirt is a new garment in the male wardrobe

in the British Isles. I would presume the garment should be cut to fit the male measurements and the shape would be slightly different as

the male is smaller on the hips than the female and has a longer walking stride.

Additional freedom in the buttocks would give additional comfort whilst seated whilst seated for driving, or in an office, for long periods of time.

Perhaps an A Line shape would follow the sillouette of the striding or hunting male form.

Maybe the straight Pencil Skirt would be neat and comfortable. A zip opening on the left hip would probably be most practical and comfortable.

The waist at the traditional Military Kilt height of 3 inches above the natural waist would give additional warmth to the lower regions of the body.

An absence of pockets in the skirt would give a neatness to the garment.

Perhaps a matching waistcoat ,added to the suit jacket ,in the shorter style of the Argyle Highland Jacket would be practical and stylish.....

Would any of the skirt wearing males accept this style of male suit, not considering the cost at this time ? weeladdie
What you describe is in essence a kilt with a wistcoat highland style, as could be seen during the wedding of Harry & Meghan. Still the idea is indeed interesting and I wouldn't be surprised that if you would go e.g. to the train company in Sweden which was in the news a few yers ago, and would combine the skirts for the lady drivers with the men's tops, you would be able to put it together. There is a german chap who designed something also, not this one: https://www.mister-matthew.de/ein-rock-fuer-maenner/, but still. His dsigns were a bit extreme in my opinion.
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

oldsalt1 wrote:Being an accountant most of my working life has been in suits. Working in NYC and at times on Madison Ave I had to maintain an extensive wardrobe of suits.

Being semi retired I have be able to cut back a little . I am now down to 8 suits of the suits 2 come with pants the remaining 6 are skirt suits
Thank you Old Salt for your comments...It is interesting to hear that your wardrobe is ahead of my concept of male skirt suits for my future .

Please would you expand on the Style of your skirts and who actually made the Presumably Male Skirts...

Would the Skirt have been made by a seamstress and the Jacket made by a Gentleman ' s Tailor in The same Establishment ?

I speak with some knowledge of who made clothes ,as my Grandfather was a Tailor who had made Military Officers Uniforms and taught

my mother and her four sisters to sit cross legged on the floor at the foot of his tailors table and hand stich suits for the rich money lenders.

I am going back to probably 1925 To 1930

In her spare time my mother spent much of her life making and altering clothes.

Yes , I have been to the Tailor and been to the Kilt Maker for a Measurement.... I have been to the Ladies Outfitter to try on " off the peg " skirts.

Never actually had a Gentleman's Skirt made to my measurements....Probably a job for a seamstress. ..... Weeladdie
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

One of the problems with wearing a Gentlemans Skirt Suit Is The Supply of the Outfit.

In the Victorian Period The Three Piece Male Trouser Suit Was very Common.....The Male had one suit for best wear and an older suit for work wear.

When I was a boy the Farmer wore his Jodpurs , Jacket and Waistcoat with his polished leather leggings and hobnail boots.....how things have changed .

When I started work we wore Cavalry Twill Trousers , a Tweed Sports Jacket and a Collar and Tie. ... again, things have changed....

I digress.....I feel that the concept of wearing a Gentleman's Skirt Suit with a made to measure Gentleman's Skirt , gets away from the suggested concept that

the Male is cross dressing in his off the peg skirt which fits him ,..... from the other side of the Isle

I do have a well fitting Tartan , below the knee , Pencil Skirt , and a below the Knee Harris Tweed Pencil Skirt; both with a vent in the rear , for

ease of walking with the longer male stride.......both could be worn with my Shorter Argyle Tweed Kilt Jacket.

However with the idea of wearing a matching Skirt and Jacket ......as a Skirt Suit ,... I feel I have really nailed my true colours to the mast

regarding my style of Skirt Wearing attire...............weeladdie
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by oldsalt1 »

Actually the suits were all off the rack 2 were Tahari by Arthur S Levine and 2 were "le Suits'" all of which I got on line at macys. all of these suits both pieces were lined. and the quality was excellent the last 2 I got at amazon. decent quality but more dad to day wear.