Wrap Skirt

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Happy-N-Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Wrap Skirt

Post by Happy-N-Skirts »

I keep looking for a wrap skirt. They must be out of fashion as no retailer has them and I can't find the right one online, and have not had success with anyone who will make one. It sounds simple, a cylinder with some elastic, velcro, and maybe a nylon strap and buckle.
I am a hiker and am looking for a wrap skirt for unlimited stride and easy to put on and take off while wearing hiking boots.

Does anyone know of a resource?
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Wrap Skirt

Post by Jim »

Search "wrap skirt" on Ebay and lots come up. Size is more flexible with wrap skirts, so I don't think you have as much size worries as some things.
Freedomforall
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Freedomforall »

Little Bazaar has quite a selection of wrap skirts. https://www.thelittlebazaar.com/#gsc.tab=0
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

You could apply the "Wrap Skirt" to a Velcro closing kilt like the SportKilt.
Simply a rear pleated double apron skirt closing about the waist with Velcro.

The hem length can vary from the ankle to the micro mini-skirt.

The waist sizing may vary as much as the method which is used to secure the
skirt about the waist that can be at the navel or hips.

A beach towel could be classed as a wrap skirt with ends folded over or knotted
at the waist something hurriedly wrapped about the body answering the door
coming out of the shower/bath.
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
Milfmog

Post by Milfmog »

Happy-N-Skirts wrote:I keep looking for a wrap skirt. They must be out of fashion as no retailer has them and I can't find the right one online, and have not had success with anyone who will make one. It sounds simple, a cylinder with some elastic, velcro, and maybe a nylon strap and buckle.
I am a hiker and am looking for a wrap skirt for unlimited stride and easy to put on and take off while wearing hiking boots.

Does anyone know of a resource?
You could try Zand Skirts. They make very colourful skirts which are reversible and have removable, reversible waistbands meaning each skirt can be worn four different ways. The skirts do not have pockets but do have a removable bag which serves the same purpose. The waist arrangement makes then very flexible on size and I have once or twice got away with borrowing my wife's skirt, her waist is a good 10" smaller than mine but the skirt still fits.

There is also the similar Skirt Fanatic range. These are similar to look at, don't have the reversible waistbands but are available in different lengths.

Alternatively, if all else fails, you could try googling "wrap skirts" which reported 139 million hits. You ought to be able to find something... :)

Have fun,

Ian
Do not argue with idiots; they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Cogito ergo sum - Descartes
Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum - Ambrose Bierce
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

Design yourself a wrap over skirt. Perhaps our friends could give you some design perameters for your perfect hiking skirt.......you could then take your
perfected design and type of material to your local skirt maker or seamstress to perfect your ideas .

In the warm summer weather I would wear my hem to the top of my knee cap.....as per the traditional Scottish Kilt........In the spring or autumn
I would wear the hem below my knees to keep my knees warm. ......Perhaps the position of the hem may depend upon your outer garments if you
are likely to be out in the rain , or in long wet grass.

I would favour a garment which is close fitting at the hips but has plenty of flare at the hem for your walking stride. The male stride is longer than
the female stride.

I visualise a garment like a Figean Sulu with , fastened at the hips with wrap over aprons and a full A Line flare to give a fully flared hem......
More like a Kilt without any pleats. Plenty of cloth to either keep the wearer warm or act as an air conditioning system in warm weather.

The perfect design could be a pattern for all seasons........with varying weights of material as the seasons change........best of luck .....weeladdie
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Looking it up, I think Ian Milfmog's 'Skirt Fanatic' site is wonderful. All sorts of lengths, straight or flared (A-line), reversible, so you get two for the price of one, lots of different fabrics, almost infinitely adjustable waist size and only 45 Squids a pop. Marvellous!

I've just had a couple of wrap skirts, admittedly heavily pleated, made up to my own drawings and they were Much more expensive as bespoke one-offs.

Tom
Rs pinstripe 4.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
skirtpettiman
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtpettiman »

I recommend these unisex wrap skirts made by Ufash and sold on Amazon. I have two and they're extremely comfortable in the hot weather we're experiencing in the UK. In fact I'm wearing one right now!
25-07-16_1726.jpg
25-07-16_1726.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.