"Taking the plunge"

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Skirted at hom

"Taking the plunge"

Post by Skirted at hom »

I have been going skirted around the house a few times a week. I found this site and had been lurking. I joined last week and offered an introduction. I plan on driving east this week leaving Wednesday after a lunch meeting. I drive from central Illinois to the Ohio/Indiana border where I spend the night. On this portion of the drive I plan to go skirted. This is will be my first venture out into the public wearing a skirt. I am looking forward to the adventure. Wish me luck and any more words of encouragement or wisdom will be appreciated.
Stu
Member Extraordinaire

Re: "Taking the plunge"

Post by Stu »

My advice is to wear it as a complement to ordinary masculine attire, and then just forget about it. Just act like you are wearing pants. As a rule, nobody will care. Expect it to be an anticlimax.

Good luck.
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

Great move, just carry on as if it is the most normal thing in the world (which it should be). This always seems like a giant step but usually it is an anticlimax.
I also skulked around the house until I went public and then wondered what all the worry was about.
After this, you will enjoy the freedom of going anywhere in a skirt.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
Happy-N-Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Happy-N-Skirts »

You may want to try walking in a nature preserve, national or state park, or wildlife sanctuary while wearing a skirt. You can be alone or near people. If you take a camera with you, you will blend in. The people at those places include a lot of foreign tourists and people not likely to make you feel self conscious. You will discover all of the benefits on skirt hiking. Bring a pack pack with your lunch and enjoy the natural surroundings at your leisure. Sound fun? I do a lot of it. Maybe 1% even notice what you are wearing and 0% care. Be friendly, say hello, enjoy the moment. You will be back and do it more.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

Skirted at hom wrote:...I drive from central Illinois to the Ohio/Indiana border where I spend the night. On this portion of the drive I plan to go skirted...
That sounds like a good plan. It's highly unlikely you'll meet anyone you know or will ever see again. That should reduce your anxiety.

Plan on stopping a few times, like to buy gas or have lunch. Dress and act as if you were wearing shorts instead of a skirt. Don't wear anything gaudy or extreme. Just keep up (or at least do a good job of faking) your confidence and be friendly to anyone who makes eye contact. "Hi, have a good day," works for me. Don't change into pants before checking into the hotel. They see all types and they want your money.

You're old enough to pick out your own clothes. If somebody doesn't like it, it's their problem, not yours.

And above all, have fun!
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
GerdG
Member Extraordinaire

Post by GerdG »

Skirted at hom, you really don’t have to worry that much. If you, like Stu suggested, just exchange pants by an appropriate skirt, you should be facing no problems at all.

Being slightly older than you I have been in skirts for about 20 years.

When in your skirt – and I suggest you have bare legs, like when in shorts – try to act as natural as possible. Never forget, it is no crime to wear a skirt, just somewhat unusual.

Start out with a gas station. Visit a DIY store and a shopping mall. Look for a book in a book store. Ask for it. Go finding and buying you a new skirt. Try going into a restaurant. This might be the most difficult part, because you might be feeling that everybody is looking at you. But just relax and realize how soon they’ll forget about you.

Your car is your shelter – and your enemy. Therefore decide to keep away from it for a set number of hours. Really make it a day, and at the end your fears shall have gone.

When you have got accustomed to skirt wearing, look for solutions you don’t have to keep a secret. Having to change clothes in the car and the like is pretty inconvenient. And it is not necessary.
Since 13 years I have been wearing tartan kilts in our neighborhood. Every morning when taking the dog out I will have a chat with two or three of our neighbors, leaving for their job or being out with their dogs, too. It is no problem at all. Often my wife will accompany me on these walks.
I’m in no way a traditionalist and I often will wear my kilts rather as skirts with no sporran, just short socks or no socks, and so on.

I’ll also wear utility kilts in our neighborhood, but as my wife doesn’t like them, it is more seldom. With regular skirts it is the same.

But is a kilt better accepted than a skirt? Hardly, I guess.

Last year I was for three days in Germany spending two nights in two different hotels. I was on my own and I had decided that these three days I would wear ladies’ skirts.
Travelling in a skirt and having not brought with me any pants at all made things simple. It was not a question of whether a skirt or pants, but just what skirt to wear when?
Check-in and out at the hotels in a skirt, wearing a skirt in the breakfast rooms, around the city (Hamburg and Kiel), when shopping for a new skirt, meaning trying on several skirts in several stores, when eating at restaurants at lunch time and in the evenings, no problem at all.

But still I feel better at ease in a kilt. And now it is time for taking the dog out.

I hope you are going to have a fantastic day. Just do it!
GerdG

There ARE viable alternatives to trousers.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

GerdG wrote:...Traveling in a skirt and having not brought with me any pants at all made things simple. It was not a question of whether a skirt or pants, but just what skirt to wear when?...
I enjoy traveling without pants as well. No going back!
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron