We need to get the message out more

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Re: We need to get the message out more

Post by Grok »

I suspect that renesm1 is right-we have a long slog before us, chipping away at the old taboo.
Last edited by Grok on Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:08 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

Grok wrote:...Caultron has suggested that someday a skirt design might go viral-if so, I suspect it will be a younger generation (boys now) who are inspired by some aging eccentrics...
I can visualize groups like rappers, slateboarders, and punksters wearing skirts just to be rebellious or countercultural and then it growing from there, or of someone like Jaden Smith starting a trend, But I don't see teens or 20-somethings emulating what old men wear.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

Sinned wrote: I'm not sure how receptive the average man is to the idea of wearing apparel that he isn't used to.
Don't worry about the "average man". If we are going to encourage anybody, it is the man who is interested, but hesitant.

Basically, latent Skirtonians. Who else at this point would be motivated to break the taboo?
mishawakaskirt
Member Extraordinaire

Post by mishawakaskirt »

One idea. It's a lot more gradual but might be affective is possibly giving other men, a kilt, sarong, or longyi as a gift. Sons, best friends, good neighbors, etc. Prostate health is important after all. Or offer to loan a kilt or skirt. I have offered to loan a kilt to several of my friends. One of them is considering it, but wants to go to a Scottish pub, or Ren Fair first time out.
Mishawakaskirt @2wayskirt on Twitter

Avoid the middle man, wear a kilt or skirt.
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pelmut »

Grok wrote:... If we are going to encourage anybody, it is the man who is interested, but hesitant.

Basically, latent Skirtonians. Who else at this point would be motivated to break the taboo?
That's the sticking point, not many men are interested in wearing a skirt just because it is a skirt; if we want to popularise skirt-wearing, we need to encourage it for some other reason.  There are plenty of good reasons, it just needs an enterprising manufacturer to pick on one of them and link it to something that men really enjoy doing [ No, not that !] for skirt-wearing to start to become mainstream.
There is no such thing as a normal person, only someone you don't know very well yet.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

I have suggested a skirt for hiking/running. Society seems to grant a little more lee way for athletic wear than other clothing. This might gain acceptance the way bloomers did.

During the tail end of the 19th century-after a period of experimentation-bloomers gained acceptance for certain athletic activities, such as riding the new fangled bicycles. This became an (relatively early) exception to the rule that females always wear skirts. Otherwise, change was slow to come. (It was during my younger years that females finally transitioned to wearing mostly twin pipes).

I understand that some men became interested in the original Macabi skirt, because it was designed for the kind of outdoor activities that men gravitate to.

Besides athletics, another conceivable exception is sarongs as beach wear. Of course, that would be very much a niche application.
GerdG
Member Extraordinaire

Post by GerdG »

I believe that pretty many men out there are envying ladies in skirts, especially on a hot sunny summer day, and that only the fact that they cannot see themselves being wearing one, because men don’t wear skirts, keeps them from it. And men don't wear skirts bacause it is regarded weird or unmanly.

To get these men started, we need to be good opnion leaders: Men who have just replaced shorts or jeans by a 'manly* skirt, otherwise looking like 'normal' men, and showing to the world how uncomplicated it is to wear a skirt in public.

And the timing is perfect.
GerdG

There ARE viable alternatives to trousers.
hairy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by hairy »

GerdG wrote:I believe that pretty many men out there are envying ladies in skirts, especially on a hot sunny summer day, and that only the fact that they cannot see themselves being wearing one, because men don’t wear skirts, keeps them from it. And men don't wear skirts bacause it is regarded weird or unmanly.

To get these men started, we need to be good opnion leaders: Men who have just replaced shorts or jeans by a 'manly* skirt, otherwise looking like 'normal' men, and showing to the world how uncomplicated it is to wear a skirt in public.

Most men wont wear skirts because they don't know or beleave that they can, that its OK to do so, that's why we need to let them know.
SkirtsDad
Member Extraordinaire

Post by SkirtsDad »

hairy wrote:Most men wont wear skirts because they don't know or beleave that they can, that its OK to do so, that's why we need to let them know.
I am curious what are you basing your ideas on.... Are you saying that people not already aware of what they can or cannot wear? How did you work out you can wear a skirt? What if you tell them it's ok and they still don't want to wear them? If they still don't wear them what happens to your skirt wearing?

From my own perspective, I like to wear purple, but do I care if other men wear that colour or not? No, absolutely not, but I do want the fashion industry to cater to my whims. It's the same with skirts... although it is nice to come across other men wearing skirts, which only happens very occasionally, I totally respect other people's decision not to wear a skirt.... men, women and those in between or whatever ;-) In terms of the fashion industry, whilst years ago I thought there ought to be a separate range of men's skirts (appropriate to men's generally different figures etc.), these days, I am perhaps more of the opinion gendered clothing departments are unnecessary, so that 'ladies skirts' are merely sold as skirts, to whomsoever wants to buy them.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

I concur with you SD on thinking that gendered clothing departments should be abolished and re-arranged so that clothing of a particular type are placed together - jeans/trousers, tops, shorts/skirts, hosiery/socks and so on. After all there is considerable overlap. No distinction between men's and women's clothes. I must admit that I just think of clothes as clothes and don't associate gender to them. MOH OTOH I think still thinks of clothes as men's and women's with little mix between them.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

denimini wrote:I am sure no-one here would disagree about getting the message out more that it is OK for a man to wear a skirt and if we discover something good we want to share it with other people.
We do a pretty good job here confirming that it is OK for men to wear skirts and supporting members to go public and gain confidence. This is with people who already have the interest in breaking with convention and wearing a skirt. I am not sure of the merit in trying to convince the wider world.
Compared to popularizing MIS, I have the more limited goal of getting the public used to a group of iconoclasts.
Getting the average male to wear skirts is not my concern.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

SkirtsDad wrote:It's the same with skirts... although it is nice to come across other men wearing skirts, which only happens very occasionally, I totally respect other people's decision not to wear a skirt....
These days I pretty much agree with this. I'll grant that when I first started I was so nervous about it, I always thought it would be nice if more men wore skirts so I wouldn't feel so alone. But now it doesn't bother me. Like you S.D., it's always nice to happen upon a fellow male skirter, but I don't expect it, and get along just fine without it all the same.

As I implied earlier, by my being out in the public eye, I demonstrate to men everywhere around me that "yes, it's okay to wear a skirt if you want to...", maybe some will eventually, maybe they won't. It makes no difference to me.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

I spread the word, daily :!:
I wear skirts/kilts about 98% of the time I'm out ANYWHERE :!:
What more can 'we' do :?:

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

Uncle Al wrote:I spread the word, daily :!:
I wear skirts/kilts about 98% of the time I'm out ANYWHERE :!:
What more can 'we' do :?:

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
I also wear skirts when ever I am out and about. I haven't worn pants or shorts in years. So I feel as though I am getting the word out that men in skirts is OK for all men, if they don't like it then that is their problem not mine.

Fred
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
skirts4me
Distinguished Member

Post by skirts4me »

hairy wrote:
GerdG wrote:I believe that pretty many men out there are envying ladies in skirts, especially on a hot sunny summer day, and that only the fact that they cannot see themselves being wearing one, because men don’t wear skirts, keeps them from it. And men don't wear skirts bacause it is regarded weird or unmanly.

Most men wont wear skirts because they don't know or beleave that they can, that its OK to do so, that's why we need to let them know.
You might care to read http://www.men-in-skirts.org/skirtsinAus.html for another line of thinking on why men don't wear skirts.
Shalom
Steven