We need to get the message out more

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
hairy
Member Extraordinaire

We need to get the message out more

Post by hairy »

I know some of us wear skirts 24/7 and worry not what people say. Some only wear skirts behind closed doors and some only out to places where they feel safe to do so.
Very few are really open to the world about their skirting. Some on here have the ability (not me) to build a web site about their own skirting life. I'm finding hard to understand why we can not just get out and ALL be who we want to be.
I can't put things on places like u tube or I would, I can't build web site or I would.
If I had a car of my own I think I'd make some sort of sticker to go on the screen saying something like men can wear skirts. What I'm trying to say is we really need to put the message out. Its time we stopped being our own prisoners, we should break free. Those of you that can make a u tube video please just go and do so. Those that can make it clear to the world that its fine for men to wear skirts should do so TODAY.
WE NEED TO MOVE ON.
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Re: We need to get the message out more

Post by denimini »

I am sure no-one here would disagree about getting the message out more that it is OK for a man to wear a skirt and if we discover something good we want to share it with other people.
We do a pretty good job here confirming that it is OK for men to wear skirts and supporting members to go public and gain confidence. This is with people who already have the interest in breaking with convention and wearing a skirt. I am not sure of the merit in trying to convince the wider world, many of which can not yet come to grips with more life threatening issues.
I think making it a crusade could be self-defeating in highlighting the abnormality. I wouldn't make a website or a video about wearing pants so why make one about wearing a skirt, however it would be fine to make one about doing a flat arch in stone (or whatever), incidentally while wearing a skirt (and not mention the skirt).
The self conscious videos of "my day wearing a skirt" or the like, never gave me any confidence and made me think I would be a spectacle, with people with cameras everywhere and making comments. Thankfully reality was never like that.

The best message is just being out there wearing skirts with confidence and an air of normality, doing our own thing and not trying to convince anyone.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pelmut »

It's easier in real life than it is on the Web. I've only had one person say something deliberately nasty to my face - but on the Web, people hiding behind anonymity feel free to behave in the most appaling manner.
There is no such thing as a normal person, only someone you don't know very well yet.
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pelmut »

denimini wrote:I... I wouldn't make a website or a video about wearing pants so why make one about wearing a skirt, however it would be fine to make one about doing a flat arch in stone (or whatever), incidentally while wearing a skirt (and not mention the skirt).
You mean like this? [At 2:55]
There is no such thing as a normal person, only someone you don't know very well yet.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

pelmut wrote:You mean like this? [At 2:55]
Pretty much precisely. Make the act look entirely usual and unremarkable.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

The phrase, "There's none so deaf as those that don't want to hear," springs to mind. I'm not sure how receptive the average man is to the idea of wearing apparel that he isn't used to.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

In my experience, most people generally don't like the feeling of being proselytized, or to have something shoved down their throat. I think the best way to "get the message out more" is just act normal while wearing a skirt in public. Don't make a big fizz about it. If onlookers approve, they might give it a go, if not, they won't. Either is their right.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

I agree with moon shadow.
Kilty
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kilty »

Sinned wrote:The phrase, "There's none so deaf as those that don't want to hear," springs to mind. I'm not sure how receptive the average man is to the idea of wearing apparel that he isn't used to.
It's not just the skirt, but having to sit like a lady, carry a handbag to hold your stuff (spare tights in the bag in case your ones ladder) what shoes or other accessories or what's the best skirt length that will baffle most guys. Women often talk with envy about wishing they could "sit like a man" if having to wear a skirt for work. Some of the latest skirts like Mr. Kirt ( www.mrkirt.eu ) look more viable but the prices are way out. Sell skirts at trouser prices and you may be onto a winner. Knee length invisible denim willl work for most guys, and it will come naturally to keep knees together in a straight denim skirt anyway.

I have seen guys (occasionally) in kilts no problem, and once I saw a guy in a denim pencil, and the world didnt end. Skirts make more sense in hot weather, anyway 8)
Happy-N-Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Happy-N-Skirts »

I wore a camo skirt and hiking boots today. I am out in the wilderness at least one day per week doing nature photography. I had breakfast at McDonalds and was careful not to flash anyone. I got out of my truck once and my skirt was stuck at the waist. I use the door for cover.
hairy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by hairy »

Its just that I dont think many people beleave that men WANT to wear skirts, untill they see it they won't know. So thats where the media would be usefull. When I wanted to try skirting I was not aware of others doing so, I thought it was ONLY me. There is a littlebit about skirting on the webb, but not really all that much. Back in 60s young men wanted to have long hair so they used TV and pop groups to get the message out. Gay men went on TV to get same message out. I would not want to push it down peoples throats, but just the odd one of us wearing a skirt is hardly going to tell others that its fine for men to wear skirts. We need more of us to get out in the open or we will forever be stuck in the same rut. We need to move forwards or we will never be accepted, and always be looked on as odd.
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pelmut »

The garment industry is geared up to large production runs, so any niche maket item is going to be more expensive than the popular lines in large stores.  The most successful way of moving a product into the increased sales and lower prices spiral is by advertising - but simply telling men to take off their trousers and put on a skirt, for no particular reason, isn't going to work.

If the advertising could be linked to an event, such as the arrival of Summer, showing 'cool' (in both senses of the word) young men looking smartly dressed and happy, enjoying the freedom of a skirt on a balmy Summer's evening, that would have far more impact.  These 'Summer Skirts' would have to be prominently on display in the mainstream menswear section of the store or the catalogues.  Once it was established that men could wear skirts, even if only in particular circumstances, the ice would be broken and it would only be a matter of time before skirts made their way into everyday wear.

It just needs that one bold manufacturer to realise there is an untapped market...
jamodu
Member Extraordinaire

Post by jamodu »

John Lewis, a popular UK department store, recently caused a modicum of controversy when they withdrew clothing for Boys or Girls with Children’s clothes. They were not separated into each gender, but grouped together.

Likewise, rather than separating Menswear and Womenswear by specific departments it would be preferable for each to be grouped together into Adult clothing.

Have you noticed married couples in clothing stores. The Husband will typically go out if his way to isolate himself from his Wife in looking through the Womenswear clothing items - so that no-one could mistake him as looking at such items for himself.

Even so, until clothing designers/manufacturers/retailers start promoting the idea that Men can wear Skirts - and actively promote it as a fashion trend - the notion will remain ‘odd’ and taboo.

Not until the brand ‘Under Amour’ actively promoted the idea that Men could wear Leggings and Tights during outdoor physical activity did it become commonplace to see Men openly wearing such clothing - both on television and in everyday situations (and no-one comments on it).

Have you noticed the ‘bra-like’ clothing item that footballers are wearing. They’re activity trackers - but no-one makes derisory comments that such Men are wearing a bra.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

jamodu wrote:Likewise, rather than separating Menswear and Womenswear by specific departments it would be preferable for each to be grouped together into Adult clothing.
The practical problem here is that men would have to sort through a vast sea of what's "noise" to them in order to find what they're actually looking for. There's also the cultural differences in the way that men and women tend to deal with shopping. Around here, men typically use the "surgical strike" tactic: get in, execute the mission, and get out -- whereas women tend to be browsers and actually contemplate things during the act of shopping.
Have you noticed married couples in clothing stores. The Husband will typically go out if his way to isolate himself from his Wife in looking through the Womenswear clothing items - so that no-one could mistake him as looking at such items for himself.
Or, more likely, he'll be off elsewhere -- possibly not even in the same store. It won't be because he'll be worried about "what others would think" but rather because he'll be entirely bored.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
renesm1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by renesm1 »

Echoing what Moonshadow said earlier, the only way to make this more mainstream is for us to just keep on wearing skirts in public.

I think that someone else on this forum said that every time we wear a skirt in public, it makes it easier for another man to do so.

It may seem like an epic task, a hard slog, but if you keep chipping away, you will eventually move forward; if you don't, you will stay where you are!
Please visit http://www.absolutegadget.com for the latest gadgets and games news and reviews