Skirts’ Demise?

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
jamodu
Member Extraordinaire

Skirts’ Demise?

Post by jamodu »

Marks & Spencer (M&S) is the predominant clothing store for Men and Women on the UK High Street.

I’ve been in three of their major stores in the past week or so. In their Womenswear section, Skirts only occupy a tiny section - typically located in an isolated corner of the store, with less than a dozen Skirt variants on display. By comparison, the number and variety of Women’s Trousers (pants) occupies countless rails in the main part of each store that I’ve visited.

Even the Men’s section in M&S doesn’t have as many variants of Trousers for sale compared to the ladies.

At this rate, it won’t be long until Men will not be able to buy their Skirts from M&S stores. Admittedly, there is more choice of Skirts online, but not in-store. Rather than choose online, sometimes it’s good to check out the quality of Skirts directly prior to purchase.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Skirts’ Demise?

Post by Sinned »

jamodu, I've noticed the same in Matalan and to a lesser extent ASDA. They both had nothing I would buy or wear. Not really been in Tesco clothing section lately. I've noticed that full slips are getting rarer too and those that are on offer seem to have a V neck where I would prefer a higher neck. I know why but I would prefer different. Even though MOH concedes that women are not wearing skirts as much she still refuses to see it as a unisex item. [0]

[0] I use the term loosely so let's not have any discussion on unisex again.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

Apparently skirts are becoming a niche thing for women, and dresses even more so.
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

I took an extra portmanteau on my trip to Sydney, thinking I would buy heaps of skirts but there was a scarcity in all stores, even in thrift shops. It was very disappointing.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
hairy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by hairy »

I live in a large town, find it difficult to find ANY skirts. Even the young girlie shops have stopped having any skirts, all the girls have started wearing shorts. The internet will soon be the ONLY place to buy them.
jamodu
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Skirts’ Demiise

Post by jamodu »

Grok wrote:Apparently skirts are becoming a niche thing for women, and dresses even more so.
From what I’ve seen in M&S there are more Dresses on offer compared to Skirts.

I’m currently experiencing difficulty in finding an appropriate Denim Skirt - one that isn’t ‘Midi’, without vents front and rear, or Mini washed-out Denim Skirts with ‘raw’ (frayed) hem. Then, there are those Skirts that look as though they are Denim, but the touch and feel of the material is anything but genuine Denim. This is one of those situations where buying online isn’t appropriate.

I may have found what I’m looking for at Dorothy Perkins, but I need to visit one of their stores to examine the material in person. That is, if they have them in-store.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

I am having a hard time finding knee length skirts even on line. What is there does not look nice or is a skort and I don't like or wear skorts. I have enough calf length skirts and a few ankle length skirts but they are of a heavy material suitable for cold weather not the heat of summer. :(
What can we do to get more summer light weight, knee length skirts on the market :?: :?: :?: :?: .
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
Kilty
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kilty »

Ebay has plenty of skirts, so does ASOS and Boohoo.com :wink:
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

Etsy has some skirts.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

Fred in Skirts, I can recommend the Macabi knee length skirt. Its suitable for summer.

Macabi is an example of a useful online venue.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Ahhh... one advantage of living in the "Apostolic belt"... plenty of skirts and dresses in virtually every store... except walmart. Walmart doesn't have much. A few, but not much. Virtually every thrift shop is overflowing with them. Dress Barn, Ross, Burkes Outlet, Cato, etc etc seem to have at least a rack of skirts of various styles, not to mention virtually any hippie or boho shop.

I haven't bought a skirt online in ages. 90% of what I have came from GoodWill, and they always seem to have at least a 30-50 foot rack of skirts, and another 30 feet or so of dresses.

Although my size is probably the most common (medium, or size 10-14 depending on manufacturer) At least a third of the skirts seem to fall in this range. Midi's and knee length are most common in the GoodWills around here. A few floor sweepers, and maybe a handful of minis. The minis obviously range in the smaller sizes.

The dresses come in all types of configurations. I've seen prairie dresses, prom dresses, house dresses, sun dresses, a few wedding dresses, jumpers, etc etc....

If anyone is ever passing through, there are GoodWills dotting towns along the interstate down here, Chilhowie, Abingdon Wytheville, Bristol TN, so on and so forth. You'll find your honey hole! :D
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

Fred in Skirts wrote:...What can we do to get more summer light weight, knee length skirts on the market...
Wait.

Fashion goes in 20-year cycles.

Nothing's permanent if you give it enough time.

Maybe if women stop wearing skirts completely, they'll become more acceptable for men.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
6ft3Aussie
Member Extraordinaire

Post by 6ft3Aussie »

I seem to see plenty of women around Brisbane wearing skirts and dresses, plenty to be seen in the city centre at lunch time when everyone comes out, and I see plenty in the business park where our office is.
My wife prefers a dress around the house, comfortable and easy to wear, especially in the summer (which for us lasts about 6 months of the year), we are just starting to cool off a little in the evenings as we head towards our 6 weeks or so of winter during June and July, and then opts for slightly longer skirts or shorter denim skirts, which I like!
jmiller842
Distinguished Member

Post by jmiller842 »

Caultron wrote:
Fred in Skirts wrote:...What can we do to get more summer light weight, knee length skirts on the market...
Wait.

Maybe if women stop wearing skirts completely, they'll become more acceptable for men.

This sounds like a great opportunity for skirt makers and retailers around the world. Skirts aren't being stocked because women aren't buying them. But the skirt makers and retailers are ignoring half of the population. Simply market them to men and sales would skyrocket. Well, maybe not skyrocket, but at least leap. Get the people in the marketing department to convince the populace that hey, men can wear skirts too and look damn good too. It would take a few years but the possibilities are endless.
mishawakaskirt
Member Extraordinaire

Post by mishawakaskirt »

Caultron wrote:
Wait.

Make our own is another possibility.
Then is some one asks about it, you can say your a visionary clothing designer. Of if some one says why the woman's skirt you can. Proudly say. Made by a man, for a man.

I think we got alot more than 20 years before we will ever hear a lady say. No fair, I want to wear skirts like the men do.

Use it or loose it sounds good to me.

If any given day a woman says why the woman's skirt? One could probably wager, let's look around, I'll give you 5 dollars for woman we see in a skirt, if you give me 2 dollars for evey woman we find in trousers.
Mishawakaskirt @2wayskirt on Twitter

Avoid the middle man, wear a kilt or skirt.