The Sarong

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Stu
Member Extraordinaire

The Sarong

Post by Stu »

My initiation to "skirts" came having been on here for a year or two and I tried a sarong, which is still my favourite. On a warm summer's day, you can wear skimpy shorts and then just wrap a big, strikingly colourful cloth around your middle and it feels wonderful and looks amazing! Sarongs are also completely unisex and all men can (or should be able to) wear them without a second thought. Few wives or partners would object, either, so I think that has to be a great starting point and something we should be sporting in summer and promoting to other guts when given the chance.

Some time around the millenium year, a major UK menswear chain called "Top Man" started selling men's sarongs and I bought one. I thought, or at least hoped, that would be just the start, but they sold out of them within a very short time and then stopped stocking them for some unknown reason. At some point, they will make a comeback and, when they do, a menswear retailer will make a killing.
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Re: The Sarong

Post by weeladdie18 »

Thank you Stu....Top Man is a male fashion Shop. ..... "Top Shop " is the female chain.....Shops in U.K.

Usually changes stock several times in the Summers Season. ......I would suggest that their Male Sarong was not re run as the line was

not making sufficient profit for a large Fashion Chain Store Company.

The question is " what was the most successful male line running in parallel with the Sarong ? "............The Sarong production team was

perhaps transferred to a more productive Line within the Male operation.

You would probably agree with me that a Sarong is not the most popular beach wear Item that every male would buy every year.

World wide "sightings in the wild " do not show a popularity in " men in skirts " garments. ........

Perhaps this is some food for thought.........weeladdie
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

Stu ..As far as I am aware if you visit some Hotels in South East Asia ...The male Guests are given a free sarong to wear....

How much does this garment cost the hotel chain to purchase ?

Where could a male comfortably wear a sarong on the beach at this time of year ?

I would certainly not try to wear one on a Cornish Beach or anywhere in the U.K. at this time of year.

They go surfing all year round in this part of Cornwall . They wear Black rubber suits and do not spend half the day sitting outside the

Skirt Café in their Sarongs or a Figian Sulu. .......... Yes I am interested in both these garments but no one considers manufacturing or

Marketing these garments would be a practical project..

.I submitted a post on the Figian Sulu a couple of days ago, Perhaps more practical than a sarong........

Perhaps a Sulu in heavy weight Scottish Harris Tweed might be a more practical Garment for U.K

Off the peg I can buy a Black Pencil Skirt in a Ladies Chain Store or I might be lucky enough to find one brand new unworn in a charity shop.

The Sulu is a similar garment in shape to a pencil skirt , The Sulu is a wrap over garment. The pencil skirt has a split vent in the hem and

A zip opening from the waist.... Three time I have been wearing a pencil skirt . ....Three times Admirers have told me they like my Kilt.

I see no point in wasting my time, trying to find a male skirt, to wear. ......... you may think I am a bit of a crank..........

If I wear my traditional 8 yard Scottish Kilt with nearly thirty pleats in it .... and all my correct Scottish outfit including a Jacket and waist coat...

School Girls ...who ought to be well educated ,..... ask me why I am wearing a skirt. .......... weeladdie
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

WL18, as you appear to be in the UK, those schoolgirls must recognise a kilt when they see one. They are just having a laugh. You should go along with it and agree it is a skirt, see where the conversation goes.
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

Thank you Alistair I regularly wear a skirt for driving ..One evening I stopped and sat on a river bank....three young ladies came up to me
and said " Why are you wearing a skirt ? " .....my reply was "My skirt is very comfortable ....this is the latest fashion for men "

.....Their reply was; " I do not think skirts will become fashionable for men.....It is not right.....men should not wear skirts."

Then they marched off wearing their trousers.....How did this form of logic become ingrained in their minds ? .........weeladdie
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Nice one WL. The sarong can be worn long or short. Long uses the full width of the cloth to give ankle length and short uses it folded in half lengthwise to give knee length. I wear my sarongs short on holiday. Never thought about wearing them locally. Something to try I suppose.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

weeladdie18 wrote:How did this form of logic become ingrained in their minds ? .........weeladdie
Perhaps, because, in Western Civilization, skirts have been associated entirely with females?
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Re: The Sarong an indicator of progress

Post by Sinned »

Well, you could have knocked me down with a feather this morning, as the saying goes. We had got up early, as MOH goes early to a car boot sale, when she said that she had bought us something yesterday from Primark. She then showed me a long length of gorgeous blue material with red/yellow flowers and toucans in the pattern. She then proceeded to wrap the material around my waist so that the material was ankle length and she said that it would do as a sarong. Then she folded it in half lengthwise and said that I could wear it like that, which is how I normally wear them, so they become a knee-length wraparound skirt. This is progress!!!! Previously she just tolerated sarongs, now she is buying me one. :D Oh, and BTW she bought one for herself as well so we will be able to wear matching sarongs. I will take this as the green light for sarong wear on holiday later this month. When we first married we would often wear matching tops and shoes. I have also been wearing skirts around the house every day without complaint from her. She may just be storing things up though. :?:
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

Stu wrote:My initiation to "skirts" came having been on here for a year or two and I tried a sarong, which is still my favourite. On a warm summer's day, you can wear skimpy shorts and then just wrap a big, strikingly colourful cloth around your middle and it feels wonderful and looks amazing! Sarongs are also completely unisex and all men can (or should be able to) wear them without a second thought. Few wives or partners would object, either, so I think that has to be a great starting point and something we should be sporting in summer and promoting to other guts when given the chance.

Some time around the millenium year, a major UK menswear chain called "Top Man" started selling men's sarongs and I bought one. I thought, or at least hoped, that would be just the start, but they sold out of them within a very short time and then stopped stocking them for some unknown reason. At some point, they will make a comeback and, when they do, a menswear retailer will make a killing.
If I am correct Sinned has made some progress as a "man in a skirt " with a sarong ... well done .....

With regard to the enclosed quote by Stu.....It is perhaps unfortunate that male retailers could not predict the heat wave and sell a range of
male sarongs...I may have said this before but a Surfers Sarong might become popular in the Surfing Towns around the World.

As I am a poor old age pensioner perhaps I will have time to make myself a proper male sarong this winter.
Does anyone have any leads regarding a pattern for this garment made out of a single panel of material sewn into a waist band ? ...weeladdie
Freedomforall
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Freedomforall »

Miket

Post by Miket »

Four weeks ago shortly after the heatwave in the UK started, I looked out the sarong I purchased from ebay several years ago. It is of the style which is a sewn tube of material. I pack it for use on holiday, but have rarely worn t in this country..... However, for the past 4 weeks it has been my "skirt" of choice. I folded it so that is half the height and so when worn it finishes just above the knees. It really is the most comfortable solution to the Summer so far. Luckily I have a large garden so I don't have to worry too much about neighbours (and they are used to seeing me in akilt!), and even my wife agrees it looks good!
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Just back from two weeks in Egypt with constant temperatures between 36 and 40 centipede. The sun was strong during the main part of the day leaving sunbathing to early morning and late afternoon. The rest of the time was spent in the pool. Most of the time I wore a sarong to knee length. Some gripes from MOH so I did wear shorts often enough to quieten her but the sarong was much the more comfortable. She didn't take any pictures of me so attired and since we had been to the aquapark before we didn't take many pictures at all but I will try and get some pics, it's just that I'm not very good at getting pics of me.
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

My skirts have the same effect on my Mrs. She only takes photos if I am sitting at a table so my skirt is hidden.
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

If you will permit me to tell you a funny story from an old Television Program......A lady and her new partner went on a tour of The Mediteranean
He liked wearing skirts and wore a wrap over white pleated tennis skirt. When they visited a Temple ,a Guard in his full traditional
uniform, came up to the male visitor in his tennis skirt and saluted him....... weeladdie
Last edited by weeladdie18 on Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire
Location: 65 year The Hague, The Netherlands, then Allentown, PA, USA

Post by beachlion »

I'm afraid it is in Athens, Greece.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/President ... d_(Greece)
All progress takes place outside the comfort zone - M J Bobak