Poll: If M.I.S. where made illegal, would you do it anyway?

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.

If M.I.S. where made illegal, would you do it anyway?

YES
93%
NO
7%

Total votes: 29

moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Poll: If M.I.S. where made illegal, would you do it anyway?

Post by moonshadow »

With the recent articles of men wearing skirts to protest this or that, made me wonder how we, the members on this site might fare in the world of just a few decades ago when it was not only frowned upon for men to wear skirts, dresses and other clothes intended for women, but actually against local laws.

The point of the poll isn't whether it could happen or not, but simply hypothetical if in the event it did happen.

As it is now, I'm surprised that at least a few backward southern towns haven't at least attempted to enact some ridiculous "anti-crossdressing" ordinance to appease the local churches. So again, the question is, if they ever did enact such a code, would you thumb your nose at it and do it anyway? Obviously you'd have to fight it in court. I'm just wondering how important the freedom to choose is among the members here.

EDIT: Due to good points being brought up by members, I feel the need to clarify: illegal but not a capital offense, or a minor misdemeanor. Much as I assume it was many decades ago in this country.

We're not going all middle east here.... to severing of the hands or head... :lol:
Last edited by moonshadow on Sun Apr 08, 2018 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
crfriend
Master Barista

Re: Poll: If M.I.S. where made illegal, would you do it anyw

Post by crfriend »

I would, without much hesitation.

There is a thing in the United States known as "civil disobedience" which, when properly deployed, has a remarkable power to get random idiotic laws struck down. The late 1950s and the 1960s were excellent examples of this when a very interested group of citizens managed to get most of the legal framework of the Jim Crow South dismantled. Separate but equal is not equal -- whether it's race, sex, or gender. Full stop. So we are forced to disobey -- openly and brazenly -- these idiotic laws, pay the fines, and move on.

Without opposition, the idiots win every time. Worse, is that the damage accretes over time until, eventually, one finds himself trapped in an idiot's "society".
Last edited by crfriend on Sun Apr 08, 2018 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: rephrased to point up the similarity to Apartheid
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

If wearing of skirts by men wear made illegal I would continue to wear my skirts.
I do not see anything illegal about it as it hurts no one. I would work to have the stupid law and the stupid person or people removed. I do not see the law being put in place as it is totally unconstitutional in the first place.
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire
Location: 65 year The Hague, The Netherlands, then Allentown, PA, USA

Post by beachlion »

If that was the case, I would move to a better spot. I find it very difficult to live between such idiots. If I was not married, I was already back in Europe, sunning on a Greec island or a French beach.
With the hysterical behavior in some parts of the USA, even a minor incident might be blown up and nobody knows how it will end with those elected judges.
All progress takes place outside the comfort zone - M J Bobak
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Realistically, on pain of death. NO!
As a point of protest and defiance, yes.
In a lot of situations that is just where we are anyway.
Legality counts for nothing in the wrong place and time.
Steve.
Feeling freedom
Distinguished Member

Post by Feeling freedom »

Smoking pot is illegal too. Yet look how many people smoke it. Out here in BC pot is still illegal until the new legislation comes in but for the last 10 years people smoke it in public. If the police caught you here with it they metaphorically just slapped you on the back of the hand, take your joint and move on. There is always a speed limit on the hwys around the world, but how much law enforcement actually use 0 tolerance? Most travel a few miles/km per hour over the limit and the police let you be as they do the same. The only countries I would see different are communist countries and personally I would never live under a dictator!

There are laws and people hired to enforce them but we are all human and should not have our humanity taken away from us. If that does happen then we will be back in the times of Hitler and humanity will stall on it quest to become an enlightened species as a whole.
Personal style is important to me. Even when my outfits may contain skirts, tights and great ankle or riding length boots! I enjoy fashion and am excited to get in on the conversations with the like minded!
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Feeling freedom wrote:There is always a speed limit on the hwys around the world, but how much law enforcement actually use 0 tolerance?
Plenty around these here parts. Making matters worse, the State Police in Massachusetts have a "quota" for each copper mandating that they cite so many persons for exceeding the speed-limit per month (which multiplies because that also jacks "insurance" rates up). Of course they ignore important matters like overly-aggressive driving and playing with cell' 'phones or watching the in-dash TV whilst driving...
Feeling freedom
Distinguished Member

Post by Feeling freedom »

crfriend wrote:
Feeling freedom wrote:There is always a speed limit on the hwys around the world, but how much law enforcement actually use 0 tolerance?
the State Police in Massachusetts have a "quota" for each copper
When I lived in Toronto a late friend of my retired from the police force and served 35yrs. He explained to me that the way it worked for them is the "higher brass" compared how many tickets were dished out the month before and they had to fall with a certain plus/minus ratio. After many years of tracking it created an average amount of tickets per month. Each area had a different average and the officers were rotated and not told what the month before was. This way they new if an officer was doing his job.
Personal style is important to me. Even when my outfits may contain skirts, tights and great ankle or riding length boots! I enjoy fashion and am excited to get in on the conversations with the like minded!
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Feeling freedom wrote:After many years of tracking it created an average amount of tickets per month. Each area had a different average and the officers were rotated and not told what the month before was. This way they new if an officer was doing his job.
That's essentially the same thing, and no doubt everybody knew it and wrote the "proper" number of tickets per month to meet the quota (the victim being guilty or not). That this happens in Canada surprises -- and disappoints -- me.

The problem with "dirty little secrets" is that they're not secret. The other -- and more pernicious -- problem is that there's no legal recourse.
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

Yes, that is the only way to change an unjust law. There is no capital punishment in Australia and the risk of being shot by police is relatively low.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

It may not be true but there was an urban myth that the police played "snooker" in which they had to cite a red car then a colour from the snooker table or they had to cite each colour in turn - red, yellow, green, brown, blue, pink ( not easy but a different shade of red would do ) and black, finishing with a white.

Sorry, I forgot the point of the thread. I wouldn't wear a skirt publicly if it meant massive fines or jail time as I just couldn't afford it but otherwise I would try and let it make no difference and wear them out of disobedience. Skirts ARE important to me but not THAT important.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jim »

I'd pray about it. Some things are worth protesting, some aren't. I wear a skirt in town often but do not when I'm at our weekly peace vigil. I'm weird enough standing in front of the courthouse with a sign. The large issue of equal rights between the sexes might make a public protest worth it. My wife has decided against public protest in the "free the nipple" vein so far. I'm not sure.
SkirtsDad
Member Extraordinaire

Post by SkirtsDad »

As in the way that some Western women were imprisoned 100 years ago for wearing trousers, or as in the way that some Middle Eastern women have apparently been executed by ISIS for not wearing gloves?

Despite being a rebel, self preservation would have to take priority, therefore it would depend on the consequences of being caught with a skirt on. An alternative that I would realistically consider would be moving to country that did permit skirt wearing for men.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

SkirtsDad wrote:As in the way that some Western women were imprisoned 100 years ago for wearing trousers, or as in the way that some Middle Eastern women have apparently been executed by ISIS for not wearing gloves?
That's a good point, and one I believe Dennis also touched on.

Okay, lets just assume, illegal, but not a capital offense.

I'm thinking misdemeanor. You know, you're hauled in, booked, released, and have your day in court where you may pay a small fine.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire
Location: 65 year The Hague, The Netherlands, then Allentown, PA, USA

Post by beachlion »

moonshadow wrote:...... Okay, lets just assume, illegal, but not a capital offense.

I'm thinking misdemeanor. You know, you're hauled in, booked, released, and have your day in court where you may pay a small fine.
If it is not "three strikes and you are out," I will stay and be just a nuisance to the system.
All progress takes place outside the comfort zone - M J Bobak