A Guy's Guide to Getting Skirted

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
VoxClamantis

A Guy's Guide to Getting Skirted

Post by VoxClamantis »

Some time back I proposed a new main Index topic as a how-to reference for curious men. I still think it's a gaping hole as any practical advice on this site is obscured by mountains of posts aimed at other skirt aficionados rather than the un-inducted freeworlder.

I have now since composed my own such guide and offer it as a link below. But ideally, couldn't site members collectively edit a wiki (or if nothing else, collaborate via Google Docs or Microsoft OneDrive) to create a static post to serve as a reference and that wouldn't get buried by comments and replies?

http://www.voxclamantisindeserto.us/201 ... g-skirted/
DonaldG
Member Extraordinaire

Re: A Guy's Guide to Getting Skirted

Post by DonaldG »

Thanks for this VoxClamantis, a lot of useful suggestions, and reminders of things us regular skirt wearers known but sometimes forget!
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

VoxClamantis wrote:[... C]ouldn't site members collectively edit a wiki (or if nothing else, collaborate via Google Docs or Microsoft OneDrive) to create a static post to serve as a reference and that wouldn't get buried by comments and replies?
We gave a Wiki a shot quite a while ago, and it got so buried in Spam that it was more of a chore to delete all the cr@p and outright vandalism that was going on so the idea got scrapped.

However, I absolutely agree with your premise. A basic primer on the art and skill of skirt-wearing for guys is definitely lacking, at least in explicit form. Let me cogitate on this for a bit.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
webboy42

Post by webboy42 »

Thanks for this. I definitely think a skirt wearing guide is something that those new to skirting (like myself) will find useful, and at least for me, helpful for boosting confidence.
Wonderful Electric
Distinguished Member

Post by Wonderful Electric »

A great guide. I loved every word of it. It’s too badthat there was this huge blow up over denim. I personally dislike denim too because everyone defaults to jeans (pants) like a uniform. As for me I’m not old enough to know the village people reference. I suspect this is true of many others too.
VoxClamantis

Post by VoxClamantis »

Thank you all for your warm and affirming words.
mishawakaskirt
Member Extraordinaire

Post by mishawakaskirt »

That's a great idea.
Many members have a lot of tips and great advice.
Collecting and organization possibly a challenge.?

My suggestions for beginner are.
Consider trying a kilt, the number one man skirt in the world.
Measure at the belly button if your planning on wearing it at the traditional way. If you you have a big gut like me wearing the kilt at the bb helps hide it.

If your not interested in the way of the kilt and go for a skirt. First Remember this.

TAG SIZE MEANS NOTHING!

You will need try it on or take measuring tape. Size varies greatly from company to company. I have skirts with tags ranging from 16 to 20 that all fit fine.
If you eBay ask the seller for measurements if they are not listed or are not clear.

Next contribution.
Mishawakaskirt @2wayskirt on Twitter

Avoid the middle man, wear a kilt or skirt.
SkirtsDad
Member Extraordinaire

Post by SkirtsDad »

Reads like a 19th century guide to etiquette, imho. However, don't worry, I'm from England so naturally I am unable to relate to your post aimed at "American men". I await your UK version ;-)
SkirtsDad
Member Extraordinaire

Post by SkirtsDad »

Btw, where did you come by "A miniskirt technically falls anywhere above the knee"? Coming from the home of the miniskirt, as coined by Mary Quant, then I certainly would not agree.

Collins defines it as:
(British) "a very short skirt, originally in the 1960s one at least four inches above the knee"
and
(American) "a very short skirt ending well above the knee".

Wikipedia, for example, describes it as "a skirt with a hemline well above the knees, generally at mid-thigh level, normally no longer than 10 cm (4 in) below the buttocks"
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

SD, I agree that his definition of the miniskirt is wrong but in his defence I can say that the average man prior to accepting skirts as a valid clothing choice will associate a miniskirt as above the knee with only a hazy notion as to how far above the knee it is and where a microskirt starts. The missive is aimed at the beginner and there aren't that many beginners that would venture out in a miniskirt. I love miniskirts and a lot of mine are above the knee but my first venture out on a pre-Christmas shopping excursion was in a knee-length denim skirt.

I am old enough to remember the miniskirt era of the sixties and a shot for the young hormone-ravaged body they were too. Sat on the wall of my Grammar School watching the young girls walk up to the nearby Technical and Secretarial Colleges. :D
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
SkirtsDad
Member Extraordinaire

Post by SkirtsDad »

:censored:
Sinned wrote:I can say that the average man prior to accepting skirts as a valid clothing choice will associate a miniskirt as above the knee with only a hazy notion as to how far above the knee it is and where a microskirt starts. The missive is aimed at the beginner and there aren't that many beginners that would venture out in a miniskirt.
Sinned, I see where you are possible trying to go when refer to beginners, however, other than perhaps for some 'younger' people I believe that the mini-skirt, and it's history, is so iconic that it is doing it a mis-service to re-classify it with other skirts. I am curious to what clarity is achieved by binarising skirts into 'above the knee' and 'knee- to ankle', especially given these categories are never referred to again in the article'? Surely a simple diagram would have sufficed:

:soapbox: I thought this forum was about freedom of fashion, not making rules. I consider the article to be Victorian and puritanical, for instance, when it talks about "No man should wear a skirt that is shorter than his fingertips". Which fashion police came up with that? Do you think I give a :censored:? Nearly all my skirts come above my finger tips and btw, the first skirt that I wore in public was a mini.... yes mid-thigh or above.
Sinned wrote:I am old enough to remember the miniskirt era of the sixties and a shot for the young hormone-ravaged body they were too. Sat on the wall of my Grammar School watching the young girls walk up to the nearby Technical and Secretarial Colleges. :D
I was born in the 60's and have hazy memories of my uncle's gf wearing mini-dresses. Even my mother had a black mini dress which she kept for years after.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

I was born in the mid-50's and so was a very dangerous age when miniskirts appeared.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Daryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Daryl »

VoxClamantis wrote:Some time back I proposed a new main Index topic as a how-to reference for curious men. I still think it's a gaping hole as any practical advice on this site is obscured by mountains of posts aimed at other skirt aficionados rather than the un-inducted freeworlder.

I have now since composed my own such guide and offer it as a link below. But ideally, couldn't site members collectively edit a wiki (or if nothing else, collaborate via Google Docs or Microsoft OneDrive) to create a static post to serve as a reference and that wouldn't get buried by comments and replies?

http://www.voxclamantisindeserto.us/201 ... g-skirted/
"Crisp straight lines communicate power while fluid planes suggest docility."

I find straight lines versus curved lines more accurate as a distinction between masculine and feminine appearance. It roughly mirrors the actual bodies of men and women. The effect on our perception of power is a secondary consideration.

"recognizing one’s right to dress as (s)he wishes"

Could have just said "one" rather than "(s)he" but kudos for not using that horror-show, the "singular 'they'".

Commando or "au naturel" is a bad idea most of the time. We've all done it, and there are skirts and times that invite it, but if we're making rules in the spirit of Miss Manners the rule is "wear underwear". Most of the time that is a practical admonition not just a matter of etiquette. Slide off the seat of your pickup truck naked and you'll see what I mean.

One learns to sit with knees together eventually, driven by circumstances, but starting out with skirts that permit sitting with legs wide is much easier. Real kilts aren't very good for that, but lungi, thobe, Utilikilts, and really any fullsome skirt about knee length or longer will work. Newbies needn't be burdened with trying to learn everything right away. Also, knees together is something many men have never done so it's actually physically difficult at first. It took me two years riding transit before I was doing it effortlessly. Now I can sit with my knees together all day but at first even a few minutes was tiring on my muscles.

You worry too much about the "bulge" and undies, IMHO! Stretch fabrics are super useful for pencil skirts because they allow greater leg motion, not only because they can hug the body closely.

To get my shirts tucked in easily I just throw my skirt on overhead while already wearing the shirt.

I have never liked polo shirts and the only ones I have ever owned were given to me by people who didn't know any better. I've found that no matter how feminine my garments are, people still call me "sir" not "ma'am" because I comport myself like a man and am obviously not trying to fool anyone into seeing a woman. That said, for a newbie it is probably best to not experiement with the feminine too much, because it will only create additional anxiety during a time when just getting out in a skirt is still a challenge. Polo shirts definitely look like mens wear.
Daryl...
webboy42

Post by webboy42 »

Daryl wrote:Could have just said "one" rather than "(s)he" but kudos for not using that horror-show, the "singular 'they'".
The "singular 'they'" is really not that different to the "singular 'you'" in the grand scheme of things, and reads far better than "he or she" and "(s)he" or one of the new singular gender-neutral pronouns people have tried to popularize.
Daryl wrote:... That said, for a newbie it is probably best to not experiement with the feminine too much, because it will only create additional anxiety during a time when just getting out in a skirt is still a challenge. Polo shirts definitely look like mens wear.
A polo shirt was the top I chose for my own first outing on the Sunday just gone. I don't know why, but for some reason, even before reading the guide, I just felt like when I went out in a skirt (especially the first time) I had to be wearing a polo shirt rather than a plain T-shirt.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

webboy42 wrote:...A polo shirt was the top I chose for my own first outing on the Sunday just gone. I don't know why, but for some reason, even before reading the guide, I just felt like when I went out in a skirt (especially the first time) I had to be wearing a polo shirt rather than a plain T-shirt.
For me it depends on the skirt, but don't let it give you an anxiety attack.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron