A day at the VA clinic.....

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Re: A day at the VA clinic.....

Post by skirtyscot »

The red and black looks a fine outfit for a spring day. But come the summer you might want some lighter footwear
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by oldsalt1 »

Ok guys the final step as I mentioned I have a big fear about wearing my skirts into the VA From the last vew posts you can see that my caseworker is very much in favor of my showing up to group skirted.

She said that it would not only help me but it might be beneficial to some of the other members of the group that alternative methods of coping are good.

She suggested that instead of just walking into group in a skirt it would be better to bring up the subject first.

This is what happened at my group this past Friday. First off the group is usually about 15 men this week everybody showed up there were 22 veterans and myself sitting in the room.

She started the session with a discussion that alternative methods of coping can be useful Than she kind of directed the conversation.

You have to understand my apprehension I am sitting in a room with 22 men all of whom are in the process of dealing with combat induced PTSD And I am about to say Guys you know I wear skirts. .

Well I did it than I quickly explained how they help me relax and are a diversion to my dwelling on my problems.

Talk about good comments are king I did not get one derogatory comment. Everybody was 100% positive.

I even got a couple of "you have a big pair of balls to bring the subject up and admit it. "

Well the die is cast and basically for the next session this coming Friday I am expected to show up in a skirt.

I still have my meeting with my shrink on Thursday which I am going to wear the outfit above with the red shirt.

This is what I plan to wear for Fridays group session. Comments please
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

OS, the outfit you have on in the picture is perfect for the meeting. It is not too fem and will be taken by the group as fantastic. You will not be unhappy with the responses you will receive.
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

No deltas on that one, Sir. Perfect if the weather is up to it. (It's March again up here a few miles to your north and there's talk about an inch or two of snow.)
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

Personally I would go for something an inch or two longer, but you like them short, so if you'll be comfortable with it, go for it. I suspect that the length won't matter one whit; all the guys will see is that it is a skirt.
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
Chirp
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Chirp »

1st of Thank you for your service. As well as to all the other vets and ones serving.
Thank you for being brave and coming out the group, Help comes in many styles, If its a skirt so be it,
I see nothing wrong with your out fit,
No one mess's with a big guy in kilt
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by oldsalt1 »

I wore the outfit with the red shirt into my meeting with my shrink. I made the trip into the VA Thursday. When I got there she called in she had a family emergency and had to cancel the appointment. I rescheduled for tomorrow I can't wear the same thing so I put together a different outfit.

As mentioned in the I did it blog I went into my group meeting last Friday . It was great I can't believe the amount of support that I got. Basically my wearing a skirt is expected. The second outfit is for Friday. I was a little nervous about the sandals but the outfit feels good.

I still find it hard to believe that I am able to walk into a room with 20 men and my skirt is accepted and expected.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

OS I am glad to see you in the upbeat. Going to the VA doc and then to group has really helped you. I can see the difference in your writing. Keep up the good work and more power to you!! :D :D :D
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Not sure about the second outfit. Trying to analyse it but in that shot you look heavier, as if you've put on weight. Maybe it's the white shirt, or the pose showing the full waist, or that the skirt seems wider. The sandals are ok, if not for me. No offense intended and I wonder if anyone else feels the same or can offer suggestions? The first shot is fine.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
new2skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by new2skirts »

OS, I know my comments count for little here, but the first outfit is the nicest. The sandals are nice, I would wear a slightly longer skirt to my knees or just past them, as you have to consider it's length once you sit.

The outfit for Friday (second one?) looks way too casual, and a mini sends the wrong message... :eh:
Formerly Kilty / Joe Public etc...
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by oldsalt1 »

new2skirts wrote:OS, I know my comments count for little here, but the first outfit is the nicest. The sandals are nice, I would wear a slightly longer skirt to my knees or just past them, as you have to consider it's length once you sit.

The outfit for Friday (second one?) looks way too casual, and a mini sends the wrong message... :eh:

Your comments count and are appreciated. But if you look at the pictures the blue skirt I wore last week is actually shorter. I was careful when I sat .

I am not sure what you mean about a mini sending the wrong message. Please I value your comments. Many of the other men in the group are wearing t's and shorts so casual is the intent.
new2skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by new2skirts »

oldsalt1 wrote:
new2skirts wrote:OS, I know my comments count for little here, but the first outfit is the nicest. The sandals are nice, I would wear a slightly longer skirt to my knees or just past them, as you have to consider it's length once you sit.

Your comments count and are appreciated. But if you look at the pictures the blue skirt I wore last week is actually shorter. I was careful when I sat .

I am not sure what you mean about a mini sending the wrong message. Please I value your comments. Many of the other men in the group are wearing t's and shorts so casual is the intent.
I thought with respect to others in your veteran group (trying to tread as carefully as possible) a knee length or slightly longer skirt (as I'd imagine what most servicewomen would choose) would be more suitable, perhaps a more formal style of skirt would suffice (I would be in a navy pencil skirt with black tights, and as I sat the hem would be at my knee, rather than show a lot of my legs but that's just my skirt preference), but as you say casual is the intent, then please disregard it.... :wink:
Formerly Kilty / Joe Public etc...
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

I prefer the second look. Simple and casual. And I think you look the same size in both pictures.
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

new2skirts, well we grow old disgracefully here! You have to remember that with what we are doing THERE ARE NO RULES. They may be older men but treat them with care? Come on they have probably seen more carnage and death than anyone would want to see. In comparison a man in a mini or short skirt is tame, OS prefers skirts above the knee, as do I. You'll learn. Sorry, I don't mean all that to be hyper-critical so read it very much tongue in cheek. I'm not sure if Dan owns a longer skirt. He rocks the look, and is to be emulated if you've got big enough cojones.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by oldsalt1 »

The skirt was ok but it was too cold for the sandals this is what I wore