Skirted London Weekend

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
vendeebeaches

Skirted London Weekend

Post by vendeebeaches »

I finally decided to have a whole weekend wearing a skirt. We were going to London from Devon.
First we had to walk from the house to the bus stop but it was 6am so still dark. (never wore skirt around home town before). Once on the bus it was a five-hour trip to London, and it was a lot comfier sat all that time in a skirt than trousers.
We then used the underground (subway) to get to our hotel. We then went for a long walk to Portobello market and browsed the shops on Oxford street. In all this time I didn’t feel odd or out of place, some people definitely looked at “that man in a skirt” but I never saw any unkind or disgusted looks which I was somehow expecting. I saw three other men in skirts while there which was encouraging.
Coming home we got on the bus and ended up sitting opposite a woman with a young daughter, about nine/ten years old. She looked at my skirt then up at me and gave me the best accepting smile you could ask for. Hopefully youngsters of today will be more accepting.
Getting off the bus I had my first wobble, it was still daylight and I had to walk home. I thought just do it so walked home through town. It was the best weekend for a long time and can’t wait to do it again.
Mike
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Skirted London Weekend

Post by Mike »

Congrats on your adventure! I find that each time you go out, it makes the next trip easier.
Mike

Who the hell is 'society' anyway?
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

Welcome to the skirt Cafe!!

You have past the point of no return. You went through your own town and then to a large city and you did it in a skirt.
And as has been said it now gets easier and easier to continue.

Fred
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
vendeebeaches

Post by vendeebeaches »

I must admit getting lost in the crowd in London was easier than walking through our town.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

TBH there's really not much difference. Unless it's a really small place you'll likely not meet anyone you know. And if you do .... then have a prepared answer!
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

vendeebeaches wrote:...It was the best weekend for a long time and can’t wait to do it again.
Congratulations on your extended outing! If you can do that, you can do anything. Just believe it.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
Daryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Daryl »

Sinned wrote:TBH there's really not much difference. Unless it's a really small place you'll likely not meet anyone you know. And if you do .... then have a prepared answer!
My prepared answer is "I don't like pants". Feel free to borrow or adapt it. :mrgreen:
Daryl...
renesm1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by renesm1 »

When did you go to London? I was up there last week and I wore a black ASOS dress and black tights and trainers. You may have seen me but I'm hoping those three other guys in a skirts were unknown to us on this forum. What were they dressed like?
Please visit http://www.absolutegadget.com for the latest gadgets and games news and reviews
SkirtsDad
Member Extraordinaire

Post by SkirtsDad »

I wore my first skirt to London in 2002 when I went to the Men in Skirts exhibition at the V&A Museum. I still have the skirt. It was stretch denim and I wore it over bright orange, skin-tight lightweight stretch denim jeans that probably resembled more leggings or jeggings than they did jeans. I'm not sure what happened to the only pic I had :( Anyway, I was a bit surprised that London wasn't then as progressive as I assumed it would be. Although I didn't get any comments I did seem to be greeted by quite a few bewildered looks, particularly on the underground.
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

Congratulations, vendeebeaches! The first time is the most difficult, so you did really well to go for the weekend and take no trousers. Next time it will be easier. I've worn skirts in London, and it seemed that people hardly noticed.

As for your home town, in a small place word will get around and before long everyone will know, the novelty will wear off, and nobody will care.

Have you taken your skirts to the beach in the Vendée? I'm sure they would go down a storm.
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
vendeebeaches

Post by vendeebeaches »

renesm1 wrote:When did you go to London? I was up there last week and I wore a black ASOS dress and black tights and trainers. You may have seen me but I'm hoping those three other guys in a skirts were unknown to us on this forum. What were they dressed like?
It was the weekend 3rd-4th Feb. I wore a black and white skirt just above the knee with black leggings to keep warm and trainers.
vendeebeaches

Post by vendeebeaches »

skirtyscot wrote:Congratulations, vendeebeaches! The first time is the most difficult, so you did really well to go for the weekend and take no trousers. Next time it will be easier. I've worn skirts in London, and it seemed that people hardly noticed.

As for your home town, in a small place word will get around and before long everyone will know, the novelty will wear off, and nobody will care.

Have you taken your skirts to the beach in the Vendée? I'm sure they would go down a storm.
That was how i started with skirts. I am also a nudist and love the beaches in france. It was so hot that i saw some skirts in the market and thought it was the next best thing to nude for keeping cool to get to and from the beach.
Since then I was hooked, they are so much more comfortable. Funnily enough though I find it a lot easier to be naked on a beach full of people than I do wearing a skirt but that is changing more each day.
skirts4me
Distinguished Member

Post by skirts4me »

Congratulations vendeebeaches! Great achievements should not go unnoticed.
vendeebeaches wrote:Coming home we got on the bus and ended up sitting opposite a woman with a young daughter, about nine/ten years old. She looked at my skirt then up at me and gave me the best accepting smile you could ask for. Hopefully youngsters of today will be more accepting.
A few years ago I was driving a small bus to transport groups of students visiting Perth (Aus, not Scotland) from overseas. I went to a primary school to collect one such group, wearing a maroon knee-length A-line skirt made for me. One of the girls checked with me that it was a skirt (and presumably not shorts baggy enough to hang like a skirt) and when I confirmed that it was her response was "Cool!" Yes, our youngsters are far more accepting than their parents and grand-parents. The only people I've had problems with are older folk who don't want their way of thinking challenged.
Shalom
Steven
Kilty
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kilty »

renesm1 wrote:When did you go to London? I was up there last week and I wore a black ASOS dress and black tights and trainers. You may have seen me but I'm hoping those three other guys in a skirts were unknown to us on this forum. What were they dressed like?
London is such a big place, but everyone is too busy to make comments, except schoolboys who may yell "chi chi man" or another insult. Invisible denim skirts (knee length Indigo ones with thick tights and boots) keep me pretty much ignored.
skirtingtheissue
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtingtheissue »

vendeebeaches wrote:Funnily enough though I find it a lot easier to be naked on a beach full of people than I do wearing a skirt but that is changing more each day.
Nice comparison. I'm also a naturist, and the first time I was nude in the company of others I was uneasy for about 5 minutes; the first time skirted in public: about 15 minutes!

-----Henry
When I heard about skirting, I jumped in with both feet!