Cruising

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
eightofnine

Cruising

Post by eightofnine »

I'm on a cruise at the moment for the first few days I wore shorts .I just decided what the hell and wore a skirt. We arrived in St Matin I had a bike tour so wore shorts ,the last time I tried to ride a bike skirted I ripped my skirt .So after that I went back into my cabin put on a skirt and went out I asked someone to take my photo in front of a st Martin sign then I went for a walk to the beach ,I didn't want to pay 9 dollars for the water taxi.I had problems getting back on the ship but that was because the security guy didn't recognise my photo .After St Martin was Puerto Rico I did a walking tour it was really hot but it was good I got talking to a few people some from Manchester some from Florida . No one mentioned or asked about my skirt.We stopped in Labbidee Haiti yesterday I did a boat tour which was good then had a walk around the island there was a BBQ for us ,I ate then walked along the beach had a little paddle the waves crashed against my skirt left a wet patch at the front it looked like I had wet myself lol so sat down and let the wind dry my skirt while trying to hold it down.Its the last full day today I'm relaxing in the schooner bar there is a quiz then I'm seeing a show cats . I have been all over the ship ,oasis of the seas talked to a few people and so far only one person ,my cabin attendant she grabbed my skirt and said I was stylish that has said anything about what I'm wearing . I was worried first day I wrapped a sweater around my waist to disguise my skirt but its been ok so far .ill post photos when I get home .Its been a great cruise
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Cruising

Post by Fred in Skirts »

Sounds like you are having the time of your life :D . As you are finding out wearing a skirt is not hard and is so much fun.

Now you can start wearing a skirt all of the time... :thewave:
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
JeffB1959
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JeffB1959 »

Good for you! Sounds like you had a great time while discovering that wearing a skirt in public is no big deal. Bravo!
I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman.
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

Well done! The good thing about being in a small place like a cruise ship is that it doesn't take long for everyone to see you, so after only a couple of days there is nobody left to be surprised and do double-takes.
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
Daryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Daryl »

eightofnine wrote:I'm on a cruise at the moment for the first few days I wore shorts .I just decided what the hell and wore a skirt. We arrived in St Matin I had a bike tour so wore shorts ,the last time I tried to ride a bike skirted I ripped my skirt .So after that I went back into my cabin put on a skirt and went out I asked someone to take my photo in front of a st Martin sign then I went for a walk to the beach ,I didn't want to pay 9 dollars for the water taxi.I had problems getting back on the ship but that was because the security guy didn't recognise my photo .After St Martin was Puerto Rico I did a walking tour it was really hot but it was good I got talking to a few people some from Manchester some from Florida . No one mentioned or asked about my skirt.We stopped in Labbidee Haiti yesterday I did a boat tour which was good then had a walk around the island there was a BBQ for us ,I ate then walked along the beach had a little paddle the waves crashed against my skirt left a wet patch at the front it looked like I had wet myself lol so sat down and let the wind dry my skirt while trying to hold it down.Its the last full day today I'm relaxing in the schooner bar there is a quiz then I'm seeing a show cats . I have been all over the ship ,oasis of the seas talked to a few people and so far only one person ,my cabin attendant she grabbed my skirt and said I was stylish that has said anything about what I'm wearing . I was worried first day I wrapped a sweater around my waist to disguise my skirt but its been ok so far .ill post photos when I get home .Its been a great cruise
Good job. I remember those early nerves when doing things like wearing something to kind of disguise the skirt was a more common occurence for me. Each step you take will build confidence and you will wind up wondering why you ever worried about such things. For me it was the daily commute that finally got me to stop being self conscious. It sounds like a cruise ship provided a good container for you.
Daryl...
Mike
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Mike »

Great story! I'm super jealous!
Mike

Who the hell is 'society' anyway?
eightofnine

Post by eightofnine »

Puerto Rico

Boat ride Labadee

eightofnine

Post by eightofnine »

It was a a great cruise ,it was good just to walk around wearing a skirt and it to be no big deal,Most people carried on as usual which is good i'd rather not attract a lot of attention .I went to shows ,sunbathed did walking tours, talked to people asked people to take photos of me . The only thing was changing for dinner ,some nights were formal some smart casual .I do feel a lot more confident .
Dick Ackerman
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Dick Ackerman »

Good job. Hope you had fun.
Daryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Daryl »

eightofnine wrote: Puerto Rico
Boat ride Labadee
At first glance I saw a girl with curly hair and a skirt. I had to look right at you to be sure these were pictures of you not some other person you took a picture of. You are sufficiently androgynous to not cause immediate cognitive dissonance, and that works on you very well and I am sure it also works for you.

I am large and heavy framed and bald so my entranceway was via the kilted ass-kicker trope. That got me a lot of female attention but was not entirely me. The experience gained in that mode allowed me to move more naturally in skirts and most importantly less self-consciously, such that now I have left that mode behind completely and I sometimes catch people not really noticing that I am a large man in a skirt until we've already been interacting for some time.

I guess if there's a moral to that story it's "do what makes both you and the people around you most comfortable for as long as you like because eventually you'll be so natural at it you won't need to do those calculations anymore."
Daryl...
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

I've never been on a cruise. But if I were to go on one I would probably take just the one pair of trousers and lots of skirts which would be my main type of dress for the voyage. I'd take a couple of best skirts just in case I got invited to the Captain's table. MOH just wouldn't have any say in the matter as it's holiday.

That having been said I think that you looked completely natural and can't see any reason why you should have attracted any unwarranted attention. Well done.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

Looking very relaxed and natural in all of those, 8/9.
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

Hi - my name is R. M. and I am a cruis-a-holic.
5 on NCL - 1 on HAL - 3 on Carnival - 1 on Princess & 2 more in the works for NCL
Traveling by air to the port - kilted
When on the ship I wear kilts skirts and skorts * skorts for when I am on a shore excursion and
hiking over unchartered terrain - never know what furry creature might want to venture out of his
tunnel and see the light. LOL ! Ground Hog day is just around the bend 2/2 and I predict we will
be getting instant replay weather for the next 6 weeks. Global Warming not withstanding.
This is about Cruise Casual as one can get - when wearing a kilt I refer to it as Smart Casual !
Never have had any questions about the dress code in any restaurant at any time and there better
not be unless the Maitre-D wants to find out about "Bravehearts" on a personal basis - just kidding
his chefs have bigger knives than my Sgian Dubh.
Something to be aware of that moat at sea is awfully big and there be no drawbridges !

Aye Matey - 16 men on a dead man's chest ***no*** not the body - the chest with the booty in it !
Yo ho ho - I drink whatever you have but ditch the itty bitty brelly stick. Scotch is best served without
a brelly stick fan fare !
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
Freedomforall
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Freedomforall »

We LOVE cruises too! The last one we took was in November of last year. It was my first one going skirted the entire time. I never had a problem. The only "weirdness" per say was once at dinner. This young couple in their 20's sat next to us. I was wearing lava lava. The man's wife sat and stared at me the entire time we were eating. It didn't bother me, but I thought it to be ridiculous.