What if We did the same to Them?

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Re: What if We did the same to Them?

Post by moonshadow »

I had nearly forgotten about the Flying Spaghetti Monster. Of, whom I like to call, "the God of the Millennials" When I first heard of it, I thought it was just a joke. A jab atheist would take when people of other religions got a little to "in their face". However I do sometimes wonder if some of these kids actually worship spaghetti. Me? I'm more of a lasagna man... :wink:

Not to thread drift, but this almost makes me think of the current flat Earthers. Once again, at first I thought it was some kind of joke. Then I learned on the internet that there are indeed a group of people who religiously believe the Earth is indeed flat. And their movement is growing. I now know of two flat Earthers and converse with one all of the time.

People can be silly.

Now what I'm about to say is not meant to be a jab at anyone, I'm just pointing out that I find it very odd that so many people around my region are so vexed by what I wear, when all the while, this area is known for it's Pentecostal and Apostolic ways, a church that if you've ever attended one... well, can be be very curious in their behavior.

Speaking of curious, I forgot to mention yesterday as I exited a convenience store wearing the midi denim skirt mentioned on my picture thread I held the door for an old black man. As he walked in the door I could tell he tried his best to steer clear of me giving me a very perplexed look as he went. I pumped my diesel and returned to pay, he was standing in line. I noticed he kept looking back at me. Not in a bad way, but I wouldn't say in a good way either. He had a look of utter confusion with a sprinkling of fear. I stood there in the VERY slow moving line with about 4 other men, each one glancing back and forth at each other, grinning, rolling their eyes, and shaking their heads.

The other 4 men I can understand, they're idiots and probably seldom left the Clinch valley (the area Lebanon VA is in). The black man I found puzzling. He seemed to be old enough to have lived through at least part of the civil rights movement, which you'd think he'd be a little more open minded... but I guess not. I'll say one thing about this area, it is a clique community. The type of place where even "normal" outsiders will have to pay their "dues" if they want to fit in. Most of the people here came from families who have been in the area for generations. For the most part, people are polite to me when I'm out in a skirt, but it's a "cold polite", if you know what I mean. Granted I've gotten this type of vibe in other areas too, but it seems to be more concentrated here. As you can tell from my paragraph above regarding the 4 other men standing in line, the locals here are so insync with one another, the appear to have the ability to communicate telepathically.

There does seem to be an unofficial communal dress code, and in God you'd better trust! Extra points if you put a big sticker of such on the back window of your car.

As to the thread question, "what if I did the same to them?" (the locals here)

... I'd get shot and discreetly buried somewhere in shallow grave on the side of a mountain.

I think it's best I just leave these people alone. They seem to do so for me for the most part. I've got a means of transportation when I want to be among more friendlier faces. Just is just a place to hang my hat, nothing more.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

moonshadow wrote:Not to thread drift, but this almost makes me think of the current flat Earthers. Once again, at first I thought it was some kind of joke. Then I learned on the internet that there are indeed a group of people who religiously believe the Earth is indeed flat. And their movement is growing. I now know of two flat Earthers and converse with one all of the time.
I believe this:
Sphereoids.jpg
will explain most. And, no, DO NOT ask me what happened to Columbus' fourth ship.

The above showed up a while ago on my mobile from my old next-door neighbour who not only has an advanced sense of humour but also of the absurd. [1]
People can be silly.
You don't suppose that's part of the plan, do you?
There does seem to be an unofficial communal dress code, and in God you'd better trust! Extra points if you put a big sticker of such on the back window of your car.
"In God we trust. All others pay cash." [0]
I think it's best I just leave these people alone. They seem to do so for me for the most part. I've got a means of transportation when I want to be among more friendlier faces. Just is just a place to hang my hat, nothing more.
In backwaters and other armpit places that's usually the wisest course.

[0] Alternate joke: "No Czechs cached." (A collision between geopolitics and computer science.)
[1] I've been patiently waiting to use that image for weeks.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

crfriend wrote:[1] I've been patiently waiting to use that image for weeks.
Glad I could help, I've been itching to bring up the "flat Earth" thing here at the cafe for equally as long! I refrained as it has gotten to the point (locally) where politics and religion collide! :shock: I'm starting to be proselytized on the concept from different people. I'd say more people in my area actually do believe the Earth is flat.

These are indeed scary times...
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
hairy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by hairy »

What's this about, are some of you saying the earth is not flat? It's a giant pancake for God's sake.
john62
Member Extraordinaire

Post by john62 »

No the earth is flat supported by two elephants standing on a turtle.

John
Daryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Daryl »

crfriend wrote:
moonshadow wrote:Not to thread drift, but this almost makes me think of the current flat Earthers. Once again, at first I thought it was some kind of joke. Then I learned on the internet that there are indeed a group of people who religiously believe the Earth is indeed flat. And their movement is growing. I now know of two flat Earthers and converse with one all of the time.
I believe this:
Sphereoids.jpg
will explain most. And, no, DO NOT ask me what happened to Columbus' fourth ship.
[1] I've been patiently waiting to use that image for weeks.
My first groan of the year!

Stop the violins.
Visualise whirled peas.
Daryl...
Darryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Darryl »

moonshadow wrote:
crfriend wrote:[1] I've been patiently waiting to use that image for weeks.
Glad I could help, I've been itching to bring up the "flat Earth" thing here at the cafe for equally as long! I refrained as it has gotten to the point (locally) where politics and religion collide! :shock: I'm starting to be proselytized on the concept from different people. I'd say more people in my area actually do believe the Earth is flat.

These are indeed scary times...
But it IS flat....isn't it? It's just that gravity bends it..... <g,d&rvf>
Daryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Daryl »

moonshadow wrote:I had nearly forgotten about the Flying Spaghetti Monster. Of, whom I like to call, "the God of the Millennials" When I first heard of it, I thought it was just a joke. A jab atheist would take when people of other religions got a little to "in their face". However I do sometimes wonder if some of these kids actually worship spaghetti. Me? I'm more of a lasagna man... :wink:

Not to thread drift, but this almost makes me think of the current flat Earthers. Once again, at first I thought it was some kind of joke. Then I learned on the internet that there are indeed a group of people who religiously believe the Earth is indeed flat. And their movement is growing. I now know of two flat Earthers and converse with one all of the time.

People can be silly.
We are in a post-truth era, roughly meaning that old philosophical certainties, and the very possibility of such certainties, are gone forever, along with any authority derived from them. Nihilism is one response to this. Identitarianism (conservative/liberal/feminist/antifa/vegan/etc.) seems to be a struggle against anomie resulting from nihilism. Another response is what I will call "deliberate belief". Deliberate belief is often playful in nature but for it to "work" people must treat it seriously and let it become their lingua franca.

Not many achieve the level of the Pastafarians in terms of taking it seriously and being playful at the same time, I don't think. The Man WIll Never Fly Society has for its motto "birds fly, men drink". It's a similar phenomenon: people sharing a common belief system.

Religion may have always been a form of performance art. Good art reflects truths that cannot be merely stated, and factuality is not a requirement of all kinds of truth. I can't argue that Pastafarianism is a serious attempt at deliberate belief, but I can't prove that it isn't either, and I think that its adherents are in fact doing more than launching a satirical assault on creationism. They are constructing a belief system (sans literal belief, one hopes) and as such they are exercising their belief muscles and forming a collective identity.

Modern day Pagans and Wiccans (among others) do something similar in that their connection to old traditions is extremely tenuous (because not much exists of them) so they are constructing it as they go, and their playfulness is unmistakable. Religious joy is always a factor, too.

My but I do go on. My first tome of 2018!
Daryl...
greenboots
Member Extraordinaire

Post by greenboots »

I just came across his quote:
Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea. Robert A. Heinlein
Read more at: https://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/robe ... ein_390442

I guess he tried and gave up!
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Daryl wrote:My first groan of the year!
Mission Accomplished!
Stop the violins.
Visualise whirled peas.
"Visualise using your turn signal."
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

Finally, I was able to get a "screen Shot" of this shirt.
I couldn't find the original pic from FB.
I'm sorry for the 'miss-color' effect.
Screenshot-2018-1-5 Amazon com If The Earth Was Flat Cats Would Have Pushed Everything Off Clothing.png
:hide:
Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
Daryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Daryl »

Uncle Al wrote:Finally, I was able to get a "screen Shot" of this shirt.
I couldn't find the original pic from FB.
I'm sorry for the 'miss-color' effect.
Screenshot-2018-1-5 Amazon com If The Earth Was Flat Cats Would Have Pushed Everything Off Clothing.png
:hide:
Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Thanks for the chuckle. One of our two cats is famous for hopping up on desks and tables and pushing things off the edge.

Another possibility is that if Earth were flat then all cats would eventually fall off it by sleeping too close to the edge.
Daryl...
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Daryl wrote:Another possibility is that if Earth were flat then all cats would eventually fall off it by sleeping too close to the edge.
But. But... A world bereft of cats? How could that be? (Unless, monolith-like, the Internet accumulated them all. "My god! It's full of cats.")

I am so very thankful that I have a house-moggie I can get a "cat fix" with when I need one.

"Dogs have owners, cats have staff.", or so goes the saying. So I look after the cat when everybody else is away. Willingly. "I 'signed on'."
Gusto10
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Gusto10 »

Daryl wrote:I've often wondered what would happen if we did the same to our female family, friends and other contacts that they try to do to us when they express disapproval of our clothing, ignoring that they have the weight of social norms on their side and only focussing on the immediate fact that it is at its core an attempt to control us to suit their preferences.

What if we often said "a woman of your weight should not wear tight sweaters?"

What if we asked our wives to not wear pants when in public with us?

What if we said that women should not wear pants that show their butts but instead were cut loose enough to conceal them?

What if we asked them to not wear tops that showed any cleavage?

What if we criticised them for having their hair cut short because it makes them look mannish?

Would they be as receptive to our control as they obviously believe we should be to theirs? How many divorces would ensue?
An attempt to go back to the original topic.
A number of years ago, when skirts for men were a hot topic, there was a discussion going on at another forum as to whether men could wear skirts or not. Many women indicated no, or yes but not my husband.
I then posted the question whether thy were willing to hang their trousers back in the wardrobe.
The discussion went silent.
With my ex also. One day she asked if she could borrow a pair of socks from me, I said: yes ok;
may I than borrow a pair of tights from you? She never borrowed socks anymore.
Daryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Daryl »

Gusto10 wrote:With my ex also. One day she asked if she could borrow a pair of socks from me, I said: yes ok;
may I than borrow a pair of tights from you? She never borrowed socks anymore.
Heh. Double standard thy name is woman. Well, at least in this area.

Where I worked women started wearing skirts into the office after I did. With only rare exceptions they all wore only pants before that.
Daryl...