Zip failure

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
renesm1
Member Extraordinaire

Zip failure

Post by renesm1 »

I'm at a conference in Amsterdam today and I deliberately brought a skirt to wear to the conference.

I really pumped myself up for attending this event as a man in a skirt but disaster struck! This morning, I got dressed and pulled up the zip at the back of my skirt and then noticed the zip had busted!!!! I'm so annoyed!!! Couldn't take a chance that I would be able to fix it only for it to bust again.

And no backup skirt. Wearing jeans and feeling pretty low.

Two lessons learned. Have a backup skirt and don't buy cheap skirts from a cut-price retailer (Primark in the case (UK)).

Very aware that we are still in an ambassadorial mode when it comes to skirt visibility hence why I didn't just take a chance with people seeing stuff they shouldn't.

Sorry guys! I feel like a real let-down!

P.S. had the skirt zip not bust it was a black office-type pencil skirt to the knee. Paired with a normal office shirt, black tights, and some black shoes. Gaarh! Why am I telling you this - it's just making me feel worse!
Please visit http://www.absolutegadget.com for the latest gadgets and games news and reviews
Mike
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Zip failure

Post by Mike »

You need to find a skirt store!
Mike

Who the hell is 'society' anyway?
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Too bad, Renesm. Now if you had an LBD (little black dress) the zip would be further up and failure A/ wouldn't show anything unmentionable and B/ could be hidden by throwing on a little stole, or something !!!

Jeans at a conference? Tut, tut. :!: They must have hidden those lovely straight back seams in your nylons :blue:

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
Gusto10
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Gusto10 »

Kirbstone wrote:Too bad, Renesm. Now if you had an LBD (little black dress) the zip would be further up and failure A/ wouldn't show anything unmentionable and B/ could be hidden by throwing on a little stole, or something !!!

Jeans at a conference? Tut, tut. :!: They must have hidden those lovely straight back seams in your nylons :blue:

Tom
That's Amsterdam for you
renesm1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by renesm1 »

To be honest, it's not the worst thing to happen to me in Amsterdam.

I absolutely love the place, but it seems to be my bete noire. In the past, I've had food poisoning, bags stolen, and once had to come home early as my wife had a car accident while heavily pregnant. Three separate occasions while in this great city!

A busted zip is minor in comparison. Just very annoying.

It's a tech conference BTW. The dress code was "business casual" - whatever that means. I was trying to stretch that definition as far as I could!
Please visit http://www.absolutegadget.com for the latest gadgets and games news and reviews
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

renesm1 wrote:...This morning, I got dressed and pulled up the zip at the back of my skirt and then noticed the zip had busted!!!! I'm so annoyed!!! Couldn't take a chance that I would be able to fix it only for it to bust again.

And no backup skirt. Wearing jeans and feeling pretty low...
Next time, try packing nothing but skirts. This also resolves the, "Should I really wear a skirt today?" question.

As to wearing jeans to a tech conference, if the attendees are engineers, I think that's about the most formal any in the US would wear. The only people in suits would be the salesmen.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
renesm1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by renesm1 »

Caultron wrote:
renesm1 wrote:...This morning, I got dressed and pulled up the zip at the back of my skirt and then noticed the zip had busted!!!! I'm so annoyed!!! Couldn't take a chance that I would be able to fix it only for it to bust again.

And no backup skirt. Wearing jeans and feeling pretty low...
Next time, try packing nothing but skirts. This also resolves the, "Should I really wear a skirt today?" question.

As to wearing jeans to a tech conference, if the attendees are engineers, I think that's about the most formal any in the US would wear. The only people in suits would be the salesmen.
Yep - guys in suits are salespeople. They don't know anything about the product, but know how to sell it. They get the engineers wheeled out to say a few techy terms every now and again!
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

Probably better that it busted before you went out. I have known them to give way suddenly for no apparent reason and some skirts don't have a button and rely totally on the zip. I have never had much success fixing zips.
Sounds like it would have been a good event to wear a skirt. I can understand the disappointment.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
renesm1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by renesm1 »

denimini wrote:Probably better that it busted before you went out. I have known them to give way suddenly for no apparent reason and some skirts don't have a button and rely totally on the zip. I have never had much success fixing zips.
Sounds like it would have been a good event to wear a skirt. I can understand the disappointment.
Yes - this skirt relied solely on the zip. I did try again later and as I started walking the zip unzipped this time, rather than busted, so had to change back again. It was not to be.

Shame really, I thought it was very professional looking otherwise!
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

renesm1 wrote:Yes - this skirt relied solely on the zip. I did try again later and as I started walking the zip unzipped this time, rather than busted, so had to change back again. It was not to be.
Carry a couple of safety-pins with you in case of such emergencies, and if the skirt is a keeper consider adding a hook-and-eye fastener at the waistband.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Darryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Darryl »

Ummm....safety pin?

Or an emergency sewing kit with some hook-and-eye gizmos?
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

In addition to the sewing kit - think about the application of Super Glue.
Certainly not suitable for all repairs especially structural ones needing immediate bonding.
But a little dab here or there may prevent threads from unraveling and sealing a seam rupture.
Caution here may result in semi-permanent fixing - how do I get out of this - rip tear cut etc. !
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

r.m.anderson wrote:In addition to the sewing kit - think about the application of Super Glue.
Use that stuff carefully. Its original intended use was for bonding skin to skin as a quick-and-dirty substitute for stitching. It's great at bonding to skin.

I still recall the hilarious events one afternoon a few decades ago in my apartment when I was using the stuff to repair some of the plastic structure of a steering-wheel horn-button. At the end of the escapade, not only was I glued to the horn-button but also to the carpet. Worse yet was the 'phone ringing in the middle of the fiasco with a then-potential love-interest on the other end. I have no idea how I managed to (a) reach the 'phone and (b) retain my composure throughout the conversation.

Yes, safety-pins. Then come in small sizes (I use them to anchor watch-chains in my waistcoats) and are unobtrusive, mostly, and you're not going to glue yourself to your garment unwittingly with one due to the simple virtue that it'd hurt. They'll get you back to the hotel-room where you can fix things properly with a sewing-kit if you travel with one.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
jmiller842
Distinguished Member

Post by jmiller842 »

Fear of "zip failure" has caused me to only buy skirts with an elastic waistband. Comfortable and worry free.
Bertino56
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Bertino56 »

Last time I checked, all my skirts have belt loops and front zip.
(I know, I'm the most boring guy in Skirtcafe.)
If there were a wardrobe malfunction involving the zip, I could
just rotate the skirt so the zip is somewhere other than front
and center. I doubt that anyone would notice.