Interesting discussion of men in skirts in the workplace

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
whorton

Interesting discussion of men in skirts in the workplace

Post by whorton »

melsav
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Interesting discussion of men in skirts in the workplace

Post by melsav »

It would seem that woman managers would allow men to wear skirts at work. I agree with them, the skirted attire must be kept professional and not too short as to be indecent.
renesm1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by renesm1 »

But I wonder if all those women managers who are OK with men turning up to work in a skirt would be equally fine with THEIR man turning up to work in a skirt!?

I think the answer would be different!
Please visit http://www.absolutegadget.com for the latest gadgets and games news and reviews
Gusto10
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Gusto10 »

renesm1 wrote:But I wonder if all those women managers who are OK with men turning up to work in a skirt would be equally fine with THEIR man turning up to work in a skirt!?

:lol:
I once participated in a discussion on another forum, where women indicated they were alright with men wearing skirts, but not their partner. I posed the question as to whether they were willing to leave their trousers in de closet. The answer was silence.
Last edited by Gusto10 on Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Disaffected.citizen
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Disaffected.citizen »

In the pictures attached to one response was, I believe, a former member here.
renesm1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by renesm1 »

Gusto10 wrote:
renesm1 wrote:But I wonder if all those women managers who are OK with men turning up to work in a skirt would be equally fine with THEIR man turning up to work in a skirt!?

:lol:
I once participated in a discussion on another forum, where women indicated they were alright with men wearing skirts, but nit their partner. I posed the question as to whether they were willing to leave their trousers in de wardrobe. The answer was silence.
Yes! Great question you asked to them. Unfortunately, you have come up against deeply-held beliefs on their part which will take time to change. And yes, it does seem like a contradiction!
Please visit http://www.absolutegadget.com for the latest gadgets and games news and reviews
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

Gusto10 wrote: I once participated in a discussion on another forum, where women indicated they were alright with men wearing skirts, but nit their partner.
Right, we go from the hypothetical to one's personal life-and a woman wants her man to conform to traditional masculinity.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Grok wrote:Right, we go from the hypothetical to one's personal life-and a woman wants her man to conform to traditional masculinity.
And in so doing perpetuate the status-quo without necessarily intending to -- which unfortunately quashes their partners' rights and the rights of all men. The reason this happens -- and happens quite unabashedly -- is that it's not a rational situation. Thought is simply not involved in it, and that's why we're where we are. And, of course, we all know all too well the perils of trying to use rational thought in highly-charged emotional settings.

So, I guess that once again our existence needs to be validated by women and that we must be allowed by explicit permission to live our lives. Imagine that; we have such low status that we need to be granted permission to exist. I've had quite enough of this.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Yes I've come across the it's all right for men to wear skirts but not MY man thing. It allegedly comes from the female members of my family. I say alleged because it was MOH that told me although the female members have not raised any objection to me. Either they're gutless or MOH is distorting the truth.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
greenboots
Member Extraordinaire

Post by greenboots »

Having visited my counsellor and done some shopping whilst wearing suede mini skirt, navy tights and navy faux suede boots, I returned home in said outfit to questionings. Discussion included the comment, "men in our culture don't wear skirts." I pointed out that only in my lifetime has it become the norm for woment to wear trousers, whilst men have historically worn a wide variety of skirts and dresses. Clearly, someone decided it was OK for women to wear trousers, and so they did. This cut no ice with MOH. As several have said, it is an emotional response not a rational one. But then, perhaps my wearing of skirts is more emotional than rational?
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

greenboots wrote:[... P]erhaps my wearing of skirts is more emotional than rational?
Indeed, there is this approach, but I suspect it'll yield the same fruit that other forays into discussion have.

Her: "Why do you insist on wearing those things?"
Him: "Because I like them, I find them comfortable, and I like the way they make me feel."
Her: "I want you to stop."
Him: "Why? Would you deprive me my right to feel things when I do no such thing to you?"
Her: "It's not normal."
Him: "Nothing unusual is 'normal', and any sort of unique or original thought isn't 'normal' for that matter. Should I stop thinking completely?"
Her: "Whatever." <storms off in disgust>

Lost cause, I suspect.

But, emotion is an important force and needs to be accounted for. It's just hard to get it nailed down because it's so nebulous and varies so wildly from one individual to another. It's probably easier to nail Jell-o to a wall than this one, but until that can be done, I suspect that Grok is right and it's entirely and completely hopeless unless you've got a very unusual one in your court.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

As you grow up, you (including females) may become used to the way things are. Including the taboo against MIS.

So.... If I man takes an interest in one pipe, he will be violating a norm, defying a taboo. To a more open minded individual he may seem a maverick, even an innovator. To an individual who is less open minded, he may seem a weirdo.

I say this based on the different reactions reported regarding women and kilted men. Womens reactions to the kilt have been described this way-women either love it, or hate it.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

greenboots wrote: I pointed out that only in my lifetime has it become the norm for woment to wear trousers
"Norm"? That depends on the context-as early as the 1890s, it was acceptable for women to wear bloomers as athletic wear. So the process of re-norming began before we were born.
Gusto10
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Gusto10 »

Eventhough as usual is the case with the threads here, losing the original item from sight, I'll contribute thereto also now. The norm of what is such and so, was incorporated in the era when psychologie and psychiatry were new sciences. Doctors like Binet en Jung contributed extensively to the creation of a society with norm and deviant behaviour. But now a century later with the creation of a genderless society, such norms should be reviewed (again). As to the conversations related above by Greenboots and CRfriend, such do not fit a genderless society. Hence, going back to the topic of whether MIS at the workplace should be allowed subject to restrictions forthcoming from safety rules, basically the same rules as why in the beginning of the industrialised era trousers replaced loin cloth, the use skirts by men in the workplace is a non-discussion.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Gusto10, it may appear a non-discussion but the employer sets the rules in the context of a legal national framework and can influence whether a skirt can be worn by a man in several ways. The employer can veto the wearing of skirts by anyone, male or female, much as schools are starting to in order to head off the possibility of boys wearing skirts. There again they can write a dress code that limits skirts to women only. And again they can institute a code allowing for men in skirts but generate an atmosphere of animosity to the idea. The employer pays your wage and thus has quite a great degree of say as to what you wear at work and in a lot of cases you have little say in the matter. They also have the power to sack you for whatever made-up excuse, the general one being redundancy or force you into a position where you have no choice but to resign. Seen it done and had it done to me. Specifically, my employer has a policy of black jeans/trousers or a black knee-length skirt but the practicalities of the customer-facing role make a skirt not a good idea ( stepladders and bending down to low shelves ). I have worn a skirt at work for like, charity days but although they know I wear a skirt sometimes and have done on nights out I have agreed with them that I won't as a rule. I'm happy with it.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.