Interesting discussion of men in skirts in the workplace

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Interesting discussion of men in skirts in the workplace

Post by Grok »

Institutional settings will likely be the last to embrace MIS. For their own comfort and convenience, The Powers That Be will almost certainly seek to pre-empt MIS.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Grok wrote:Institutional settings will likely be the last to embrace MIS. For their own comfort and convenience, The Powers That Be will almost certainly seek to pre-empt MIS.
So will all of those who are set in their ways.

If we start thinking like this we will lose the will to even try and will revert to basic drab.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

As adults, what will we choose to wear during our days off?
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Grok wrote:As adults, what will we choose to wear during our days off?
In the absence of original thought or compelling example, we will wear the same things that we've always worn (in personal memory). Isaac Newton's Law of Inertia works for more things than simple mass in motion (or at rest).

Force (or at least thrust) is required to change that inertial trajectory. Humans are creatures of habit.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

Grok wrote:As adults, what will we choose to wear during our days off?
Whatever we want.

What else?
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

crfriend wrote:So, I guess that once again our existence needs to be validated by women and that we must be allowed by explicit permission to live our lives.
NO.

That may be the consensus view among many women, but I will not comply! It's great that Jenn accepts me, that certainly makes things in my world easier, but really all that is required is for us to accept ourselves. Anything past that is simply a bonus. We do live our lives, well, many of us do on this site. You, myself, Daryl, Caultron, Anthony, Skirts Dad, that guy who just joined from Germany, that other fella from Alabama (or thereabouts). We DO wear what we want and to hell with the nay-sayers!

Sure it can be a lonely path, but sometimes we still meet people on the road less traveled. And playing on that metaphor, isn't it better to ride the serene sparsely traveled country road rather than be stuck in gridlock big city traffic? I know that may not have made sense, so let me put it another way:

Isn't it better to be yourself and explore all of the unique experiences that come with that endevour, rather than just roll with the herd, where the most you'll ever see is the back of someone else's head (the guy you're following)?
I've had quite enough of this.
So have I, and that's why I do this.
greenboots wrote:Having visited my counsellor and done some shopping whilst wearing suede mini skirt, navy tights and navy faux suede boots, I returned home in said outfit to questionings. Discussion included the comment, "men in our culture don't wear skirts." I pointed out that only in my lifetime has it become the norm for woment to wear trousers, whilst men have historically worn a wide variety of skirts and dresses. Clearly, someone decided it was OK for women to wear trousers, and so they did. This cut no ice with MOH. As several have said, it is an emotional response not a rational one. But then, perhaps my wearing of skirts is more emotional than rational?
Oh so many discussions I've had with so many people who just get miffed or put off about what I wear. As I've stated in other threads, Jenn and Amber (my wife and daughter) are quite literally the ONLY people in my real world life that accept this. For the life of me, I just simply can not fathom why something so SIMPLE has to be so HARD for people to understand. It is quite possibly the biggest mystery of western culture I've ever tried to unravel.
Grok wrote:To an individual who is less open minded, he may seem a weirdo.
As the say... "haters gonna hate!" Oh well, ____k em...
Caultron wrote:
Grok wrote:Grok wrote:
As adults, what will we choose to wear during our days off?
Whatever we want.
:thumright:
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

moonshadow wrote:Isn't it better to be yourself and explore all of the unique experiences that come with that endevour, rather than just roll with the herd, where the most you'll ever see is the back of someone else's head (the guy you're following)?
This is best expressed in dog-sledding terms from the dogs' viewpoint: "Unless you're the lead dog, the view never changes."

Also, sarcastically, "Why does the Registry of Motor Vehicles care so much about eyesight? The farthest you're ever going to see is the backside of the monster truck in front of you."
Gusto10
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Gusto10 »

greenboots wrote:Having visited my counsellor and done some shopping whilst wearing suede mini skirt, navy tights and navy faux suede boots, I returned home in said outfit to questionings. Discussion included the comment, "men in our culture don't wear skirts." I pointed out that only in my lifetime has it become the norm for woment to wear trousers, whilst men have historically worn a wide variety of skirts and dresses. Clearly, someone decided it was OK for women to wear trousers, and so they did. This cut no ice with MOH. As several have said, it is an emotional response not a rational one. But then, perhaps my wearing of skirts is more emotional than rational?
As to men in our culture which wouldn't wear skirts, isn't a kilt just nothing other than a wrap around skirt? Tartans can't be found only in Scotland, Wales and Ireland, but also in many parts of France, not only Normandy and Brittany, but also the Creuse/Lozère region and near the Elzas (I guess due to intermariage in order to stop the (tribal) wars). In addition, skirts for women were first shown on the catwalk of Paris in 1830. Isn't there a museum near you where you can show yoh how people were dressed during previous centuries? Skirts, heels and boots were by origin men's attire.
Charlie
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Charlie »

greenboots wrote:Discussion included the comment, "men in our culture don't wear skirts." I pointed out that only in my lifetime has it become the norm for woment to wear trousers...
In our culture it used to be that women only wore skirts, but they changed the culture - so why shouldn't men do the same?
Charlie
Last edited by Charlie on Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If I want to dress like a woman, I'll wear jeans.
whorton

Post by whorton »

Gusto10 wrote:Hence, going back to the topic of whether MIS at the workplace should be allowed subject to restrictions forthcoming from safety rules, basically the same rules as why in the beginning of the industrialised era trousers replaced loin cloth, the use skirts by men in the workplace is a non-discussion.
Interesting to consider one of the most common garments of industrial production, is the Apron. . .You could think of it highly modified non furcated garment. Or a scooter-shorts worn backwards.
Darryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Darryl »

Whorton wrote:
Interesting to consider one of the most common garments of industrial production, is the Apron. . .You could think of it highly modified non furcated garment. Or a scooter-shorts worn backwards.
Apron in front, apron in back, what's that spell? Loincloth? :shock:
Hemitom

Post by Hemitom »

crfriend wrote:
greenboots wrote:[... P]erhaps my wearing of skirts is more emotional than rational?
Indeed, there is this approach, but I suspect it'll yield the same fruit that other forays into discussion have.

Her: "Why do you insist on wearing those things?"
Him: "Because I like them, I find them comfortable, and I like the way they make me feel."
Her: "I want you to stop."
Him: "Why? Would you deprive me my right to feel things when I do no such thing to you?"
Her: "It's not normal."
Him: "Nothing unusual is 'normal', and any sort of unique or original thought isn't 'normal' for that matter. Should I stop thinking completely?"
Her: "Whatever." <storms off in disgust>

Lost cause, I suspect.

But, emotion is an important force and needs to be accounted for. It's just hard to get it nailed down because it's so nebulous and varies so wildly from one individual to another. It's probably easier to nail Jell-o to a wall than this one, but until that can be done, I suspect that Grok is right and it's entirely and completely hopeless unless you've got a very unusual one in your court.

When she said "Whatever" and stormed off ment she had nothing else to say...
greenboots
Member Extraordinaire

Post by greenboots »

Charlie wrote:
greenboots wrote:Discussion included the comment, "men in our culture don't wear skirts." I pointed out that only in my lifetime has it become the norm for woment to wear trousers...
In our culture it used to be that women only wore skirts, but they changed the culture - so why shouldn't men do the same?
Charlie
Tried that one Charlie. Apparently it’s not the same, though She couldn’t explain why.
greenboots
Member Extraordinaire

Post by greenboots »

Gusto10 wrote:
As to men in our culture which wouldn't wear skirts, isn't a kilt just nothing other than a wrap around skirt? Tartans can't be found only in Scotland, Wales and Ireland, but also in many parts of France, not only Normandy and Brittany, but also the Creuse/Lozère region and near the Elzas (I guess due to intermariage in order to stop the (tribal) wars). In addition, skirts for women were first shown on the catwalk of Paris in 1830. Isn't there a museum near you where you can show yoh how people were dressed during previous centuries? Skirts, heels and boots were by origin men's attire.
Gusto, when I see tunic/shift/knit dress worn with tights and boots I see male attire. And women who wear these outfits rarely look or act feminine, so it’s hard to see how I’d be losing my manliness. I tried pointing out that warps, pleats and above the knee are all elements of modern feminine garb, so a kilt is not manly attire - no go. Ho hum.
greenboots
Member Extraordinaire

Post by greenboots »

Gusto, when I see tunic/shift/knit dress worn with tights and boots I see male attire. And women who wear these outfits rarely look or act feminine, so it’s hard to see how I’d be losing my manliness. I tried pointing out that warps, pleats and above the knee are all elements of modern feminine garb, so a kilt is not manly attire - no go. Ho hum.
[/quote]

(That should read “wraps”) incidentally, I suggested getting a plain black [0] kilt to wear. That got no comment, positive or negative.

[0] Predictive typing on my iPhone suggested skirt or dress at this point. Quite finch an LBD; a nice cowl neck knit version in Next (I think)