First time out in Utility Kilt

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
shadowfax
Member Extraordinaire

You've got better legs than me

Post by shadowfax »

The other day, I was out posting a letter. On the way home, a woman walked past me. She said, as she walked away, "You've got better legs than me".
I was wearing my usual, black utility kilt, a metal buckle patent belt, black polo shirt, nearly black tights and medium-heeled black Mary Jane shoes.
I did post a couple of pictures in this thread some months ago but somehow, I've managed to delete them.
Here's a picture of the outfit.
Utility_Kilt.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by shadowfax on Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Re: First time out in Utility Kilt

Post by Fred in Skirts »

Shadowfox, I think the outfit looks great. Keep on skirting. :D
Fred
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Lovely outfit, SF. Pity the head is missing. Perhaps you ought to tuck it 'underneath yer-arm', then we can get a look at you! :)

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
Feeling freedom
Distinguished Member

Post by Feeling freedom »

Nice look SF! What is the length of the kilt?
Personal style is important to me. Even when my outfits may contain skirts, tights and great ankle or riding length boots! I enjoy fashion and am excited to get in on the conversations with the like minded!
shadowfax
Member Extraordinaire

Post by shadowfax »

Feeling freedom wrote:Nice look SF! What is the length of the kilt?

The Kilt Length is 18 inches.
Available from eBay but in a fairly narrow range of sizes. They also have them in Khaki.
I think that this utility kilt at The Scotland Kilt Company, may be the same kilt but available in a wider range of sizes, for a higher price. :( Black, Khaki and Purple colour choices.
shadowfax
Member Extraordinaire

Post by shadowfax »

Fred in Skirts wrote:Shadowfox, I think the outfit looks great. Keep on skirting. :D
Fred
Kirbstone wrote:Lovely outfit, SF. Pity the head is missing. Perhaps you ought to tuck it 'underneath yer-arm', then we can get a look at you! :)

Tom

Albert and the 'Eadsman - Stanley Holloway :wink: :)
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Classic, SF. That little tale was presumably before 'Our Albert' got et by the Lion! I have no doubt Stanley H. would have done a splendid rendition of that too!

Tom
Feeling freedom
Distinguished Member

Post by Feeling freedom »

shadowfax wrote:
Feeling freedom wrote:Nice look SF! What is the length of the kilt?

The Kilt Length is 18 inches.
Available from eBay but in a fairly narrow range of sizes. They also have them in Khaki.
I think that this utility kilt at The Scotland Kilt Company, may be the same kilt but available in a wider range of sizes, for a higher price. :( Black, Khaki and Purple colour choices.
Cheers SF!!
Personal style is important to me. Even when my outfits may contain skirts, tights and great ankle or riding length boots! I enjoy fashion and am excited to get in on the conversations with the like minded!
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Re: You've got better legs than me

Post by Caultron »

shadowfax wrote:The other day, I was out posting a letter. On the way home, a woman walked past me. She said, as she walked away, "You've got better legs than me".
I have to agree, killer legs you've got there! And the semi-opaque black tights really show them off.

Great outfit too! My only suggestion would be that if you want to keep the belt, get some more masculine heels like lace-up oxfords or boots.

Once when I was wearing a utility kilt with lace-up heels a woman remarked that she really liked my outfit and marveled that I even had, "the shoes," (as if 3" lace-ups were traditional Celtic footwear). Hmm, but it shows what a hint in the right direction can do. And heels were first invented for slogging through muddy streets and horse stables while keeping the feet dry.

Alternatively, you could probably balance the belt with some black heels decorated in chrome like a motorcycle jacket, but those could be hard to find.

Again, though, great outfit! Have fun with it!
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Err, Tom, Stanley Holloway did do Albert and the Lion.

Begins,
There's a famous seaside place called Blackpool
That's noted for fresh air and fun.
And Mr and Mrs Ramsbottom
Went there with young Albert their son.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
shadowfax
Member Extraordinaire

Post by shadowfax »

Sinned wrote:Err, Tom, Stanley Holloway did do Albert and the Lion.

Begins,
There's a famous seaside place called Blackpool
That's noted for fresh air and fun.
And Mr and Mrs Ramsbottom
Went there with young Albert their son.
Recording of Stanley Holloway reading Albert and the Lion (on YouTube) :)
There are a few seconds of silence at the start and there is some crackle off the gramophone record that it was transcribed from.
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Thanks Dennis.
One of our 'music' social group who regularly takes part in our musical gatherings has 'Albert & the Lion' off to a Tee. A first-class party piece.

The Beast from the East has revisited us and this morning we had a good two inches and it was blizzarding. I rang our galley-slavery organizer who confirmed that our planned outing at 0800 hours was till on. All nine of us assembled and we boated in that blizzard. We were not alone as several other crews were out. What put the kybosh on it wasn't necessarily the snow, it was the strong East wind, blowing straight up against the current, causing standing waves along the course. We cut the outing short after one 'run', put the boat away and went off to a good breakfast. Sensible.

I drove the 30 miles home, the last 6 being on untreated roads and when I got to our front gate there was a good 4" everywhere, so we're staying put.
shadowfax
Member Extraordinaire

Re: You've got better legs than me

Post by shadowfax »

Caultron wrote:
shadowfax wrote:The other day, I was out posting a letter. On the way home, a woman walked past me. She said, as she walked away, "You've got better legs than me".
I have to agree, killer legs you've got there! And the semi-opaque black tights really show them off.

Great outfit too! My only suggestion would be that if you want to keep the belt, get some more masculine heels like lace-up oxfords or boots.

Once when I was wearing a utility kilt with lace-up heels a woman remarked that she really liked my outfit and marveled that I even had, "the shoes," (as if 3" lace-ups were traditional Celtic footwear). Hmm, but it shows what a hint in the right direction can do. And heels were first invented for slogging through muddy streets and horse stables while keeping the feet dry.

Alternatively, you could probably balance the belt with some black heels decorated in chrome like a motorcycle jacket, but those could be hard to find.

Again, though, great outfit! Have fun with it!
Thanks Caultron :)

The belt's buckle isn't quite as bright as it appears in the picture. The two metal parts of the buckle are a pewter colour and sit upon two patent black 'leather' panels. The rest of the belt is made from wide, matt black elastic material.
I think that I'll stick with the black Mary Jane shoes. I have two or three different styles.
I guess that I could try wearing the outfit without the belt though. :wink:
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pelmut »

Sinned wrote:Err, Tom, Stanley Holloway did do Albert and the Lion....
A lot of Stanley Holloway's material was actually written by Marriott Edgar, a good performer of the monologues in his own right, who was related to Edgar Wallace, the playwright. There is a short excerpt of Marriott Edgar performing his own material on Track 18 of this selection.
There is no such thing as a normal person, only someone you don't know very well yet.
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

Recording of Stanley Holloway reading Albert and the Lion (on YouTube) :) [/quote]

Unfortunately this can't be viewed west of "The Pond".
'Tis a shame too, as Stanley Holloway was loved almost everywhere :D

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)