History of Skirts (and Men Wearing Skirts)

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
VoxClamantis

History of Skirts (and Men Wearing Skirts)

Post by VoxClamantis »

I'd like to propose a new topic on the main page titled "History of Skirts (and Men Wearing Skirts)" as a gateway page for outsiders who will thereby have quick access to the information it getting buried within some other topic or having to sift through mountains of text trying to find it.

As a starter, I propose this entry: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_MxS7A5nws
crfriend
Master Barista

Re: History of Skirts (and Men Wearing Skirts)

Post by crfriend »

VoxClamantis wrote:I'd like to propose a new topic on the main page [...]
I'm not sure it warrants a top-level entry -- the opening page already being a bit "busy" for the tastes of the current Barista -- but certainly might warrant a "sticky" in Skirts and Kilts for Men. I've seen way too many fora that are so confused at the top layer that they're close to incomprehensible, and I do not want to see that happen here. I'll give it some thought.
As a starter, I propose this entry: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_MxS7A5nws
That's a decent intro, although my post-middle-aged mind found the editing and splicing extremely distracting which seriously detracted from the presentation. The presenter, however, does make some very good points about the matter.

A number of years ago, my late ex- and I were passing through New York City by train and had a layover there to avoid any possibility of trouble catching our ride for the final leg home -- and one of the things we did was to spend the time wandering about Manhattan which included a stop at the main branch of NYC's Public Library where there happened to be an exhibit about men's fashion over time, some of which focussed on skirts (Hilariously, I was wearing one at the time, and had no warning about the event.). 'Twas there that I found an individual who may be mostly to blame for the death of the male peacock -- Beau Brummel -- who espoused the idea that "the well-dressed man should never stand out" (or some similar rubbish). This, of course, caused me to comment, "Yes, Beau Brummel may be alive and well in Paris, but you'll never find him."
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!