Maybe a skirt suit remedy

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
mugman
Member Extraordinaire

Maybe a skirt suit remedy

Post by mugman »

Sitting here with my regular cup of Americano a thought just flashed through my mind. I've been keen on lashing together some kind of skirt suit for a more orderly look than my usual casual approach.
If stores would, if not catering directly for the male skirt purchaser...which obviously they're not going to anytime soon...how about they at least specify to suppliers a skirt range in materials which match a male jacket range. I'm thinking herringbones, suit textiles, etc. That way each side of aisle stands a chance of seeing sales of garments in their own right, and also sows the seed of male skirting at department stores. It would at least be a start. Obviously it needs an openminded buyer to grasp the nettle. Just a thought.
Pete.
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Maybe a skirt suit remedy

Post by oldsalt1 »

There is always the actual skirt suit some of them especially in the plus sizes have more manly jackets. If that doesn't work look for a manufacturer that make both men's and ladies wear ( Calvin Cline for instance)
there would be a distinct possibility that the same material is used in clothing for both sides.
Gusto10
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Gusto10 »

Maybe a tailor on Sevile row can help you out.
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ray »

I have a gorgeous fine wool green & purple skirt suit (think country set, Brits; look it up,non-brits).

It's a kilt suit! 3 piece, and finely tailored! No rough fabric; it's almost silky to the touch. Okay, it's very expensive, but it will last decades :-)
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Ray,
Pics, please. I'm into skirt suits, but one with a kilt must be somewhat special.

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ray »

Happy to. Can you do it from a phone? I have no pictures on the web.
Clothesfreedom

Post by Clothesfreedom »

Of course Ray. Most of us now upload from our phones because it's the quickest/easiest way to do so and our camera (phones) are almost always in our hands.

Looking forward to seeing it.
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ray »

Okay I tried to copy and paste. Didn't work. Any ideas? It's an iPhone
Stevie D
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Stevie D »

Ray wrote:Okay I tried to copy and paste. Didn't work. Any ideas? It's an iPhone
Send it to me via e-mail. I'll do whatever's necessary and post it here for you.
See PM.
Stevie D
(Sheffield, South Yorkshire)
Daryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Daryl »

mugman wrote:Sitting here with my regular cup of Americano a thought just flashed through my mind. I've been keen on lashing together some kind of skirt suit for a more orderly look than my usual casual approach.
If stores would, if not catering directly for the male skirt purchaser...which obviously they're not going to anytime soon...how about they at least specify to suppliers a skirt range in materials which match a male jacket range. I'm thinking herringbones, suit textiles, etc. That way each side of aisle stands a chance of seeing sales of garments in their own right, and also sows the seed of male skirting at department stores. It would at least be a start. Obviously it needs an openminded buyer to grasp the nettle. Just a thought.
Pete.
I wasn't impressed with the results of trying to match skirts with jackets from my own suit collection. It was something about the length, I felt, or maybe how wide the jacket is when unbuttoned. Some kind of balance seemed missing that isn't missing in skirt suits made for women.

When I've wanted to have a more "orderly" look I've settled for a tie plus either a cardigan or a sweater vest. That look seems to work for me. Ladies have usually complimented it.
Daryl...
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

For some reason, suitcoats worn with a skirt need to be shorter than suitcoats worn with trousers.

Maybe it's because skirts are usually shorter than trousers. Who knows? But it seems to be true.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
Judah14
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Judah14 »

Caultron wrote:For some reason, suitcoats worn with a skirt need to be shorter than suitcoats worn with trousers.

Maybe it's because skirts are usually shorter than trousers. Who knows? But it seems to be true.
Or maybe not?
Though of course it depends on what look you are after for. A real-life realization of this outfit can be seen here, posted earlier in another thread.
らき☆
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

Hmm. Not something I'd wear unless I was a Japanese usher or museum guide.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
Judah14
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Judah14 »

Caultron wrote:Hmm. Not something I'd wear unless I was a Japanese usher or museum guide.
One thing to note is that the character in the picture is male, though very feminine in appearance. The costume in the link in the previous post shows male sizes as well, though apparently it was intended by the manufacturer to accommodate crossplayers.
らき☆
mugman
Member Extraordinaire

Post by mugman »

I had a black jacket altered in length to compliment my black kilts, as kilt jackets are always shorter than normal, possibly so as not to flop over the sporren, though I don't wear sporrens now. I wanted a plain jacket rather than the usual Scottish look with turned back shaped cuffs, epaulettes, etc. Unfortunately the jacket is now too tight on me. But the good thing about kilts is that the ones it went with, five years ago, still fit.
The length of jacket I think depends upon the length of skirt it goes with, seen as a whole image. A normal male jacket is probably best with a calf length skirt, a look which I'm not going to be interested in much, so in retrospect the original thought of this thread was actually pointless.
Just out of interest having a jacket shortened was a serious business as the lining had to be unstitched, the side pockets truncated, the vent at the back re-worked, and all sewn up again. But it only cost me £30. If you can find someone willing to take the time to alter at a reasonable cost, the look is quite good with a kilt (or I should imagine a skirt). Altering the pocket height adds a huge problem, so their position low on the garment was left as a compromise. The depth of them is around 4", so not entirely useless. The idea won't be everyone's idea of good fashion sense, but I got no negative vibes from anyone, so it must have suited the occasion. Sorry, no pun intended. Much.

Pete