Wearing skirts over trousers is not the same?

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
hairy
Member Extraordinaire

Wearing skirts over trousers is not the same?

Post by hairy »

Over recent years we all know of celebs that have gone on stage wearing long black skirt type clothing draped over a pair of tight trousers. Where its not doing true skirt wearing any harm I don't feel its the same thing as real skirting. Do others of you feel the same or is it just me. Wearing skirts over trousers is just not the same thing.#
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Wearing skirts over trousers is not the same?

Post by Jim »

It's not the same thing for me, but if it is males wearing the skirts, then it's good for the acceptance of those of us who wear them for comfort not found in trousers.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

hairy wrote:Over recent years we all know of celebs that have gone on stage wearing long black skirt type clothing draped over a pair of tight trousers. Where its not doing true skirt wearing any harm I don't feel its the same thing as real skirting. Do others of you feel the same or is it just me. Wearing skirts over trousers is just not the same thing.#
Agreed, not the same thing, but I suppose a skirt over pants is progress compared to just pants.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
SkirtsDad
Member Extraordinaire

Post by SkirtsDad »

hairy wrote: Where its not doing true skirt wearing any harm I don't feel its the same thing as real skirting. Wearing skirts over trousers is just not the same thing.
What it "true skirt wearing"? I wear skirts over whatever I like, be them orange stretch jeans, leggings or whatever. Are we not after freedom to wear what we want against a backdrop of a society that is critical and controlling? Are you not, therefore, in danger of dismissing another person's fashion choice because it's not what you had in mind as 'real skirting'?
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

I agree with SD. Women wear skirts over jeans, leggings or trousers all the time. All we are doing is following their fashion freedom with our own. If the stars want to appear on stage in skirt and trousers then why not. They appear in public in stranger outfits. I agree with Jim in that it may not be exactly what we want but at least it gets the great unwashed used to seeing men in skirts. Don't knock it there are worse fashion faux pas out there.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

I say more power to them. :D While I do not like the idea of it it is not up to me to say that is a bad idea. :roll: I mean after all I wear skirts all of the time and I am not a woman, I am a MAN!.. :cheers: And you know men are not supposed to wear skirts, Right???? :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
Jock
Distinguished Member

Post by Jock »

While I would agree that anyone can wear what they like, my thought is that skirts over trousers are just trousers+ not men in skirts.
A man in trousers can wear a knee length coat with the same look as a trouser/skirt combo. Again its not MIS.
It seems that most men will do anything but discard their trousers ( long medium or short).
And I'm sorry to disagree but celebs in skirty things over trousers will not advance the MIS cause. Just to show even handedness, I think women wearing skirts over trousers/jeans look plain daft.
To me skirts over trousers are the worst of both worlds :(
That's just my 2c worth.
Jock MacHinery
===========
"Illegitimis Non Carborundum"
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

hairy wrote:Over recent years we all know of celebs that have gone on stage wearing long black skirt type clothing draped over a pair of tight trousers. Where its not doing true skirt wearing any harm I don't feel its the same thing as real skirting. Do others of you feel the same or is it just me. Wearing skirts over trousers is just not the same thing.#
People can wear whatever they want - we say that here every day - but to me the skirt-over-trousers combination is kind of half-hearted and wimpy.

I've thought of a cargo-skirt-over-jeggings look for chilly weather but always dismissed it. If it's that cold out, I just prefer smooth leggings.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Jock wrote:And I'm sorry to disagree but celebs in skirty things over trousers will not advance the MIS cause. Just to show even handedness, I think women wearing skirts over trousers/jeans look plain daft.
To me skirts over trousers are the worst of both worlds :(
... combining the disadvantages of both with the advantages of neither ...
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Gordon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Gordon »

A guy wearing a skirt or kilt over pants is a cop out to me. I simply don't understand it. But then I'm sure that there a lot of people who see me in a skirt, heels and pantyhose don't get it either. Oh well. Reminds me that nobody should judge what anybody wears. But we all know that it happens anyway.
-----------------------------
Namaste,
Gordon
phathack
Member Extraordinaire

Post by phathack »

Caultron wrote:I've thought of a cargo-skirt-over-jeggings look for chilly weather but always dismissed it. If it's that cold out, I just prefer smooth leggings.
I agree if I'm wearing leggings, I'm going to wear them by themselves.
With the Skirt I may add tights if its cold or I need the additional color on my way to white legs.

If I'm wearing Trousers I'm headed to a business meeting where I don't have another option. :(

:ugeek:
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

Obviously not the same but OK for those who tollerate inseams.
I see some sense in wearing leggings underneath in cool weather, but unlike pants leggings are usually a softer, lighter and more complient material.
A skirt over pants would have to be a fashion choice as in portraying a particular look.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
Daryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Daryl »

I agree. While I support full fashion freedom on principle, wearing trousers under a skirt is adding a skirt to trousers, not using a skirt as one's primary cover. Therefore it is not skirting at all, but trousering. This applies equally to women who do it.

Traditionally, Muslim men who wear the thawb do not wear trousers under them but a kind of underskirt similar to lungi. Here, though, I see them wearing trousers under them very often (not always) and would have trouble interpreting that as anything other than wearing the thawb symbolically. In the case of women wearing skirts over trousers, the skirt is a decoration, not a garment, to my mind.

The test of whether it's true skirting or not might be if you could remove the skirt and still not get arrested then it's not true skirting.
Daryl...
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

I looked at the title of this thread and thought-What's the point? :roll:
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

It's not the same, but it is baby steps. I'd say most guys who have braved the public wearing a skirt over trousers most likely has worn just the skirt in their own privacy and already know the difference. They just have to prove to themselves that they sky won't fall.

Additionally, I can imagine that wearing a Macabi as a wind breaker over a pair of good trousers would probably be pretty warm during this horrendous cold snap.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.