Interesting Guy

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
crfriend
Master Barista

Re: Interesting Guy

Post by crfriend »

Mark as in Mark wrote:As for as "nixes the thing as anything meaningful" only if you do not want to be labeled in the LGBT group when you wear a skirt. I certainly don't want to be, but most strangers automatically do that anyway. I'm not saying this is a perfect solution, and in time, but the overall public opinion will be to accept a man in a skirt.
In an ideal world that might be the case, but I'm also bearing in mind the stiflingly conformant world of the young male mind -- and the level of peer bullying that goes on which is tacitly condoned by the surrounding adults. No boy is going to risk getting labelled that way if he can avoid it, and he'll go to great lengths to avoid it. Hence, the ruling is essentially meaningless insofar as getting skirts accepted as normal male attire because the rule-makers know that no boy that's within two standard-deviations of "normal" is going to avail himself of it because of the reception he'll get from his peers. It's something that's designed to look good on paper when reported in the press, but has no effect in reality at best, and a negative effect at worst.

By forcing the trans-* label onto boys who dare to think differently when it comes to clothing is tantamount to suppressing that thought -- all in the name of "progress" and "sensitivity". Very creative on the part of the "adults".
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Mark as in Mark
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Mark as in Mark »

Ray wrote:
skirtyscot wrote:Classy, as ever.
...but would be even classier with sheer hose. I totally get the bare legs comfort in heat thing - but the outfit is quite tailored, and that doesn’t sit easily with bare legs - to me anyway.

I’m currently bare legged with my skirts - and have been for about 50 days - but my skirts are informal. If I wear a pencil skirt, or something tailored - OR court shoes of any height - I’ll be in sheer hosiery.
I do wear hose at work about 80% of the time (as sheer as I can find in the summer), and every time when customers are expected. I have muscular legs, large veins, scars, and some freckles, that hose somewhat covers. Hose in my case, softens the muscle definition and vein extrusions, give my legs a more uniform appearance and gives some support or compression. However, in the evenings if the weather is nice, my preference is to go without. Like most women, the hose is the second thing to take off with high heels being the first. Me, its the hose off first and second is putting on some higher heels. :D I have had most of the hair on my legs removed so I always have smooth legs, and I like to get as much sun on them as well. In the winter, it's thicker warmer and most often darker hose.

Hose was intended to act as a make-up for the legs. They hide blemishes, scars, broken blood vessels, etc..and they give the legs a smoother appearance like make-up does for a face.
I was told I have balls for wearing skirts! My reply? "That's because balls this big won't fit in pants!"

https://www.pinterest.de/Mark_as_in_Mark/me/
https://www.instagram.com/markbryan911/
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Mark as in Mark wrote:Hose was intended to act as a make-up for the legs. They hide blemishes, scars, broken blood vessels, etc..and they give the legs a smoother appearance like make-up does for a face.
Precisely. Face it, adults tend to get "beaten up" a bit as we age, and some of us are harder on our bodies than others. Those of us who are clumsy (waves :ciao: ) are worse in that regard than those who are graceful. A slight bit of "concealer" goes a long way.

Heavier hose is also useful for warmth in the wintertime. However, here at the moment, we're stuck in a semi-tropical spell with temperatures in the 80s (F) and dew-points in the 70s which is just plain oppressive. Fortunately, most of my skirts are long enough that I can get away with knee-high stockings. I absolutely detest the feeling of bare feet in shoes, so I need something there.
Last edited by Uncle Al on Sat Jul 28, 2018 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Smilie Humor
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

Mark as in Mark wrote:
crfriend wrote: Here's the problem: "out of consideration to LGBT youths".

While I have to agree to some extent that it focuses on the LGBT youth, it opens many more doors for us straight skirt wearing guys.

As for as "nixes the thing as anything meaningful" only if you do not want to be labeled in the LGBT group when you wear a skirt. I certainly don't want to be, but most strangers automatically do that anyway.
I suspect that LGBT youth who wear skirts to school...will be beaten up by bullies.
Kilty
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kilty »

Mark as in Mark wrote:
crfriend wrote: Here's the problem: "out of consideration to LGBT youths".

That alone nixes the thing as anything meaningful as far as straight boys are concerned -- at least in a Western society.

I wish -- fervently wish -- that the "powers that be" could see beyond the hype, fads, and latest smoke and finally "get it " that skirts actually work in the real world. They don't just work on girls and women; they work on boys and men as well. That sexuality gets universally confused with the notion of fashion ought to be regarded as a touch-point of shame not of misguided "sensitivity".
While I have to agree to some extent that it focuses on the LGBT youth, it opens many more doors for us straight skirt wearing guys. Because of your wish that the "powers that be" may never happen. This dress code in schools is happening. If more schools adopted this dress code, then when these youth get out of school and get into the workforce, more and more employers will be forced to adapt their dress code as well to accommodate these youths. Although this may be done for the LGBT group, it benefits us as well. The youth will grow up to be men at some time, skirts on men will become more common in a work environment.

As for as "nixes the thing as anything meaningful" only if you do not want to be labeled in the LGBT group when you wear a skirt. I certainly don't want to be, but most strangers automatically do that anyway. I'm not saying this is a perfect solution, and in time, but the overall public opinion will be to accept a man in a skirt.

I just see it as an opportunity that skirts become more common among men.
I think skirt wearing guys will have to make use of the "LGBT card" for now, they must assume any guy wearing a skirt is keen to switch sides... but as has been shown by the likes of EJ Johnson (son of Magic) and Eddie Izzard (comedian) and Seann Miley Moore (X Factor singer), that's not always the case. Anyone can pull off wearing a skirt whilst still being a regular bloke :wink: In this hot weather, we may see more guys wearing skirts (especially since the famous protests of skirted schoolboys and bus drivers) as shorts can still be uncomfortable with a binding crotch. Guys just have to learn how to sit like Prince Charles if they are sat opposite someone on a train, for instance :mrgreen:
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

crfriend wrote: However, here at the moment, we're stuck in a semi-tropical spell with temperatures in the 80s (F) and dew-points in the 70s which is just plain oppressive.
Carl I feel for you in such harsh conditions, here the temps are in the high 90's and reaching the triple digits with humidity in the high 80's. Going outside to do work in the yard has to wait until after dark when the temps decide to drop to the upper 70's with the humidity still in the high 80's.
For this kind of weather I wear knee length skirts and no hose at all. In the winter I will wear knee length support hose as well as when I am driving long distances or flying.
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Fred in Skirts wrote:Carl I feel for you in such harsh conditions, here the temps are in the high 90's and reaching the triple digits with humidity in the high 80's.
The worst humidity I seem to recall was back in 1983 when I spent seven weeks in July/August in Huntsville, AL (for corporate computer training which I could have taught) where when driving one could see the water vapour in the A/C blast in cars. It was, in a word, unspeakable. I have no idea what the dew-point was at the time, but for grins I took a look at the weather data for the Huntsville aerodrome and found the dry-bulb temperature and the wet-bulb temperature roughly the same as what we're having here at the moment (82F/68F here, 83F/71F there).

In the meantime, the building I work in is kept at about the temperature of a meat-locker so I freeze during the day and slow-roast in my off-time. If it wasn't for the heat outside (and a lack of A/C at home) I'd be happy in my heavy skirts.
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ray »

It’s 31 here - hot and humid!
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Re: school dress codes

Post by Grok »

Regarding school dress codes and LGBT youth-I have zero expectations. Nonconformity (which includes the taboo against MIS) will almost certainly be crushed.
Mark as in Mark
Member Extraordinaire

Movie night and then drink a few craft beers after. I did put on a white belt after the photos were taken, but a very comfortable skirt and heels. Wearing comfortable things makes you look comfortable to others I guess!
IMG_3743.jpg
IMG_3749.jpg
IMG_3752.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I was told I have balls for wearing skirts! My reply? "That's because balls this big won't fit in pants!"

Kilty
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kilty »

Absolutely love the matching shoes and skirt combo! The shoes look great as well. 8)
Mark as in Mark
Member Extraordinaire

My wife bought me a skirt last week. It's a nice white, lacy A-skirt. Now I have 2 skirts that are lacy. This white one and a yellow one I bought during the color Yellow thread.

We were thinking about going out to get something to eat. She asked, "why don't you wear the white skirt I bought you?" OK...so what to wear with it?
IMG_4034.jpg
IMG_4028.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mark as in Mark
Member Extraordinaire

More.... :oops:

Which one did she pick?
IMG_4026.jpg
IMG_4038.jpg

luvtoskirt

Post by luvtoskirt »

Wow, you look great! Your wife has good taste.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Mark, I think the answer to your question is - absolutely ANYTHING will go with that skirt. In the spirit of putting my foot in up to the kneecap I'd say she chose the white skirt! :lol:

Seriously, the red top as it adds a bit of colour.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.