Skirt Train up the Mountain

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
crfriend
Master Barista

Re: Skirt Train up the Mountain

Post by crfriend »

Sinned wrote:Slang is different because the phrasing has very local meaning and it's that last phrase that I didn't understand. "Yep, that dratted thing is still scratchy as all get-out." I fail to see the context in which this is used is all so that I can put a meaning to it.
That was intended as a humorous reference to my fictional "moderators' hat" which I make mention of when writing with the full force and power of moderator or site administrator. Dating back to when I had to wield those powers vastly more often then I do now, I would jokingly make reference to my displeasure in having to do so by making oddball wise-cracks about "the hat" (mainly giving it a nasty "personality" [0]). So, unless one has deep context and a very long memory (or seeks out instances where I've had to invoke "hard power") the joke falls patently flat. Take this as your Barista being human instead of an AI (Artificial Intelligence) or other notional agent.

[0] A few of these included remarks about it talking to me, giving me the evil eye, and mostly being itchy.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Sinned wrote:Carl/Moon, now can I have the translation from 'Mericun to Inglish?
Certainly!

"Fur ya know it you go-be a-'murican!"

Translates simply to:

"Before you know it, you're going to be an American"
BTW I like Moon's use of the different spellings to convey the southern accent. We use similar phonetic spellings to convey our local accents as well.
Yeah, it's fun, I enjoy poking a little fun at our culture from time to time. Actually, I'll give hillbillies and rednecks one thing, we can laugh at ourselves pretty well, as many of our songs will illustrate. I think we get that from the Brits. Which is a good thing. You'll note elsewhere in American ('Murica), people tend to take themselves very seriously. Try getting a Californian to laugh at themselves! :wink: :P

"'Murica", is a slang name for "America", which actually never made sense to me, as the word "America" could technically imply any place on two continents, but I suppose it just doesn't have the same pleasing ring as "The United States". Still, isn't it interesting how the U.S. really doesn't have a "creative" name like most other nations do? We're simply called, "The United States", as we are in the North American continent, we become "The United States of America". Within the United States however are state names that do have various meanings such as "Virginia", which was named for one of you all's Queens!
Clothesfreedom wrote:This has turned into a language thread - how interesting.
Yeah, they'll do that from time to time... :lol:
We have mods here that are somewhat unusual in the world of internet policing.... they are actually pretty lenient of matters of thread drift, and even have been known to allow firm rules to sway with discussion from time to time provided it doesn't get too out of hand. It's one of the reasons I keep comping back! I've never known a mod here to go some nazi power trip.
crfriend wrote:...to my fictional "moderators' hat"
You mean it's NOT real!?!? I always figured it to be like some woolly gaudy, tacky, dusty beret!
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

moonshadow wrote:
crfriend wrote:...to my fictional "moderators' hat"
You mean it's NOT real!?!? I always figured it to be like some woolly gaudy, tacky, dusty beret!
Well, let's say it's as real as you (the reader) think it is. And perhaps -- just perhaps -- it's raspberry-coloured.

(I originally envisioned it as being something like a very cantankerous version of the "Sorting Hat" in the Harry Potter series, but at other times it's been a pikelhaube or a fedora. I kind of like the notion of a raspberry beret!)
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Happy-N-Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Happy-N-Skirts »

On the subject of "what's under there," friction and hygiene come to mind. Try a short half slip for the advantages of commando and comfort (14" - 16"). I hope I delicately covered the subject.
skirted_in_SF
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirted_in_SF »

moonshadow wrote: Try getting a Californian to laugh at themselves! :wink: :P
I resent that . :shock:
Just try to find an actual born-in-the-state Californian, especially in a city overrun with Millennials like San Francisco. I happen to be a born Californian, though I can only claim second generation on my mother's side. We were actually born in the same hospital, 32 years apart. :)
Stuart Gallion
No reason to hide my full name 8)
Back in my skirts in San Francisco
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

skirted_in_SF wrote:
moonshadow wrote: Try getting a Californian to laugh at themselves! :wink: :P
I resent that . :shock:
Just try to find an actual born-in-the-state Californian, especially in a city overrun with Millennials like San Francisco. I happen to be a born Californian, though I can only claim second generation on my mother's side. We were actually born in the same hospital, 32 years apart. :)
:alien:

Of course you do know I was joshing around...! Right? :lol: :wink:

Seriously though... everyone knows in the U.S.A. there are only three states, California, Texas, and everything else! :eye: :lol:

My mom's side is only here on the third generation I believe. Dad's however goes back to colonial times I think.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

To go a bit further up the thread. Thanks Carl for your hexplanation. Spelled that way deliberately { groan }. Now that I know that you were taking through about your mod hat it is a bit clearer. As for language I mangle it all the time and use words like destructions for instructions or call it the internt. As you say it's fun and most people get the distinctions. I always think of the instruction manual as the last hope of the desperate. :D

At work we offer two containers for customers to use for their shopping - the usual trolley and a wheeled basket with a retractable handle which some customers overload terribly and to those customers I offer the following definition of a basket - hope over experience. :D
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
skirted_in_SF
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirted_in_SF »

moonshadow wrote:Of course you do know I was joshing around...! Right? :lol: :wink:
Yes I did. Just didn't find the right emoticon to convey that fact.
Stuart Gallion
No reason to hide my full name 8)
Back in my skirts in San Francisco